P0345 / Cam Position Sensor

Richard Meck

Just picked up a low mileage 06 Wrangler. I've seen other threads on the Cam sensor but none really address what I'm dealing with. I've got a recurring P0345 Camshaft position sensor code. The sensor was new when I got the Jeep, got home, next day code comes back. The Jeep will crank, no start. Wiring from CPS to ECM checks, voltage to sensor, Hall effect switch in sensor checks out, signal get to ECM. If I crank the car what I consider too long (and sometimes give it some throttle) it eventually starts but code is current. Cleared the code, comes right back. Thinking back to a similar EFI system I was familiar with on motorcycles I remembered we had a problem where another sensor sharing power or ground that was failing could set the code for another sensor. Vehicle Speed Sensor shares power. Disconnect VSS, clear code, starts and runs great. Hook up VSS, still OK. GOT IT! NO! Next day same issue. Go through the same process where I start thinking it may be temp related since it's "fixed" again. Drove it the 1 1/2 hr back to the selling dealer without resetting the code. Couple things that make me wonder, the oil pump drive assy has some backlash but appears to be installed and timed correctly BUT the data capture when the code sets shows the ignition timing at -40 deg +/-. Minus 40 degrees, a lot of minus degrees. Right now the selling dealer has the car back at the shop that they had repair the initial issue, but I'm still looking for input since their initial fix didn't fix it. 1 other concern is the ignition switch. I've driven multiple 04-06 TJ's where finding the start position requires finesse. Turn too far, no crank. My Jeep has the same issue.

NAPA/ECHLIN. Both the 1 I bought and the 1 the repair shop had put in for the selling dealer.

That's likely your issue. Our TJs are very well known to reject any sensor other than an OE Mopar sensor. This is very widely documented across the internet, and it's especially common with the CPS sensor.

Same thing happened to me with my CPS sensor when I replaced it with a brand other than Mopar. The check engine light would go away when I cleared it, but the next day it would be back.

Hard to believe, I know. But for whatever reason or another, these Jeeps just reject sensors other than Mopar.

That's likely your issue. Our TJs are very well known to reject any sensor other than an OE Mopar sensor. This is very widely documented across the internet, and it's especially common with the CPS sensor.

Same thing happened to me with my CPS sensor when I replaced it with a brand other than Mopar. The check engine light would go away when I cleared it, but the next day it would be back.

Hard to believe, I know. But for whatever reason or another, these Jeeps just reject sensors other than Mopar.

It's funny, I'm had the exact opposite experience. I had the P0345 code but no other problems. I replaced my original sensor and OPDA (preventative maintenance or hype???) with the Crown unit. The Crown sensor lasted about 6 months, which I guess is common from what I've read after the fact. I replaced that sensor with a Mopar unit and it was even worse, same code and even put me into limp mode the very day I installed it. I then went with the NAPA/ Echlin sensor and it immediately fixed the problem and has been good for 2 years now.
I get there is a general consensus and the majority have great luck with the Mopar sensor, but mine must have got made at 4:45 on a friday right before a 3 day weekend. :drink:

Reactions: Chris
I found this out just recently. I also had P0345 Code and replaced Camshaft Position Sensor with Mopar part. But what I didn't know was that it also had to be calibrated and aligned. This vid shows manual calibration.
But I didn't have time to learn to do that. I took it to dealer and had them do it. Just paid the labor. Service tech aligned it by hooking their computer up to Jeep ECM. Goal is to get close to zero. Mine was off by -18. Tech got it to zero. He still had to physically move sensor to align but had screen and data to look at without having to do what they did in video.

Reactions: Chris
05-06 use a different oil pump drive assembly, different reluctor wheel and sensor but the principal is the same. I had checked that after installing the 2nd aftermarket sensor. It would be a good idea to have it checked with the computer though just to be sure the timing is dead on