P0432—is there any way to get rid of this code without replacing the cat

AidenC

TJ Enthusiast
Hi, my 01' TJ is throwing a code for the Bank 2 catalytic converter which is a p0432. I was wondering if there is a way to get this code to turn off without actually having to replace the cat. I was planning on just screwing in a spark plug defouler because I have to get my jeep inspected this month.

If you are looking to just get the CEL to go out you can disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, but the code will come back once the monitors rune again.

Last edited:
If you are looked to just get the CEL to go out you can disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, but the code will come back once the monitors rune again.
The inspection lot won't care about me unhooking my battery before I give them the keys." sir, you don't need to worry about the sacked out check engine light' LOL. The weird part is is when I disconnect the battery, the code doesn't come back until I put it in 4 wheel drive. I can drive it all day long no codes in 2wd

The inspection lot won't care about me unhooking my battery before I give them the keys." sir, you don't need to worry about the sacked out check engine light' LOL. The weird part is is when I disconnect the battery, the code doesn't come back until I put it in 4 wheel drive. I can drive it all day long no codes in 2wd
An 0432 code has absolutely zero to do with transfer case position. After you disconnect the battery it takes some time for the O2 monitors to run and the timing has to be a coincidence for it coming back on.

Reactions: Rubicon88
No other symptoms other than just the code. I recently (as in last 6 months) replaced the o2 sensor where it says the car is bad so I don’t think that is my problem. Yes they were NTK.

I'm currently dealing with a P0432 code.
I replaced the "bank 2, sensor 2" sensor and reset the CEL, it lasted for about 50 miles or so before the light came back on.
I then replaced all oxygen sensors (all sensors NTK) and the light stayed off for about 120 miles. Unfortunately this wasn't long enough for the computer to reset.
While I had the upstream sensors out I was able to have a look at the cats with a borescope and didn't like what I saw (observed some debris on the honeycomb).
So this weekend I'm replacing the cats.
During all this I had my OBD scanner plugged in and it indicated the computer was not ready for inspection (showed one "confirmed" DTC) even though the CEL was off. It has to go through a few drive cycles for the computer to be "ready" for inspection.
Jeep is running great, though.

Yeah I reset the computer and the code hasn’t turned back on yet. But now I have an evap code p0442 which keeps reappearing. Can’t seem to keep the ol EPAholes happy lately.

New member here. Feel free to assume I know very little. I'm getting a P0432 also, which I was told by the previous owner that it's because the cat has "it's guts ripped out." So if I replace the main cat will that fix it? Any recommendations on that cat? Also, anything else I should do while I'm at it?

What model jeep do you have cus some have 3 cats and some have just one.
Yeah it's an '02 4.0. It has the pre cats and that's where I'm confused. All of the sensors are up at those instead of the back cat. When the PO, who is a mechanic, said the guts were stripped I just assumed it was the back cat. But I learn something every day with my that beast.

Yeah it's an '02 4.0. It has the pre cats and that's where I'm confused. All of the sensors are up at those instead of the back cat. When the PO, who is a mechanic, said the guts were stripped I just assumed it was the back cat. But I learn something every day with my that beast.
There are 2 pre cats right off the exhaust manifold and one main cat right before the muffler. There are only 4 O2 sensors: 2 upstream of the precats and 2 directly downstream. So the computer doesn't pick up any info after those last 2 sensors. That means it won't know if the main cat is gutted or even there.

The issue will either be the O2 sensors or the precats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubicon88
Thanks. That's what I was thinking but I know nothing about those pre cats. I have read quite a bit in this and other forums about the setup with sensors, cats, and piping. What I'm seeing is that changing those pre cats is probably a more difficult job. How bad is it?

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but I know nothing about those pre cats. I have read quite a bit in this and other forums about the setup with sensors, cats, and piping. What I'm seeing is that changing those pre cats is probably a more difficult job. How bad is it?
It's not difficult. I just did mine recently. You'll need a 15mm socket and a bunch of long extensions and maybe a wobble attachment to get to the bolts on the precat to exhaust manifold flange, and it's a good idea to hit them with penetrating oil beforehand. The Y-pipe is one piece that includes the precats and tubing that wraps around the oil pan towards the rear. I bought mine from Flowmaster. It fit very well and included the main cat too.

It's also a good idea to change the O2 sensors while you're there. The thread below is a great resource on that:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-jeep-wrangler-tj-oxygen-o2-sensor-thread.4068/

Oh yeah I've got that thread pulled up on my Chromebook still. I figured the sensors would need changing. No idea if they have ever been changed. I'm just hesitant to spend the dough to do the whole system but I know it's probably for the best. So long stimulus check! Thanks for your time SecondChanceTJ.

Reactions: Tob
Mine is still throwing the 0432 code but I’m sure as hell not getting new cats. I’m just gonna have to find someone who won’t smog me for my upcoming inspection. Probably will get a tuner to turn off the codes but I’m not sure what kind for my 01’.

Mine is still throwing the 0432 code but I’m sure as hell not getting new cats. I’m just gonna have to find someone who won’t smog me for my upcoming inspection. Probably will get a tuner to turn off the codes but I’m not sure what kind for my 01’.
Any suggestions for a tuner for my 01'?

I may be in the minority, but as someone regularly running with an open Jeep in a state with no emmissions inspections I would say that people need to keep that exhaust cleaner than they do. I don't want to breath that stuff in while driving behind someone on a 2 lane road for 5 miles. My TJ certainly ain't built for passing them;)

Reactions: dale5150 and Tob
I may be in the minority, but as someone regularly running with an open Jeep in a state with no emmissions inspections I would say that people need to keep that exhaust cleaner than they do. I don't want to breath that stuff in while driving behind someone on a 2 lane road for 5 miles. My TJ certainly ain't built for passing them;)
I usually just put my A/C in recirculate when there is a stinky car in front of me.