P0432—is there any way to get rid of this code without replacing the cat

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd try to revive an old thread - hope folks are still watching this!

I've got a P0432 code that keeps coming back, even after new NTK sensors all around and running her long and hot to potentially burn off anything that's collected in the cats. No performance issues that I've noticed, but this is the only Wrangler I've ever owned or driven.

I'm assuming this means I need new cats, but is my research right? I'm looking at around $1,000 for new cats for my '04 rubicon?!?! I've read other (older) threads where the cost discussion doesn't go that high, but I'm a bit of a stickler for putting in the right parts one time rather than the wrong ones multiple times.

Curious to hear what product others in this thread went with - of course I've read good things about the mopar but don't much about the flowmaster or others out there, and given how much all three cost, I want to be thoughtful about what I get.

TIA

Reactions: Daredevil96
1st be sure the cat to manifold bolts are tight. An air leak there will lead to P0431 and 432.

If the cats not melted and restricting flow, all it means is your exhaust is dirtier than it should be.

How many miles on it?

Yep, converter prices are through the roof right now.

1st be sure the cat to manifold bolts are tight. An air leak there will lead to P0431 and 432.

If the cats not melted and restricting flow, all it means is your exhaust is dirtier than it should be.

How many miles on it?

Yep, converter prices are through the roof right now.
this is a great callout, didn't think they could have loosened, but I'll have to check that, thanks. She's got about 170,000 miles, but I have no idea if the PO ever replaced them (I'm assuming no).

If the exhaust is dirtier than it should, how do I clean that out? Is that something Sea Foam could help with?

I have had to tighten mine several times. 2006 Rubi with 245,000 mi, original owner. I still have the original cats on mine. When it throws those codes, I crawl under and tighten the bolts.

I meant your tailpipe emissions. If you have emissions testing where you are, you will fail.

You will need a long extension and have to look straight up from underneath the Jeep. 4 bolts. Mine were 15 mm.

Reactions: LONGJP2
Alright, I spent a wonderful warm Sunday under the Jeep fixing a number of different things: eliminated a rattle, repaired by lockers, secured by tire-carrier bumper, and even tried to tighten the cat to manifold bolts. Reset the code and waited to see what would happen. Unfortunately, the CEL came back on with P0432 code again.

Bummer. I'm going to check the O2 sensor to see if maybe that's the problem - perhaps it's dirty or wonky or something, though I've got all 4 brand new NTK sensors are each port. If that's not the culprit, then I guess it's time for new cats!

Either way, appreciate the help, thanks!

Just replace the bank 2 mini cat. Several companies make them and any muffler shop can weld it in for you. The downstream cat doesn't have anything to do with the code, neither does the bank 1 mini.

Just replace the bank 2 mini cat. Several companies make them and any muffler shop can weld it in for you. The downstream cat doesn't have anything to do with the code, neither does the bank 1 mini.
That's fair, I hadn't thought of replacing just one mini - I assumed I should just swap them both out as long as I'm in there to save myself the misery down the line and paying for the work twice. And if I'm going to pay a muffler shop to weld a new one in, might as well pay them to weld a straight pipe from the minis to the exhaust and eliminate the third cat (I'm in Pennsylvania). Thanks

Reactions: pagrey
Something to consider, if you are doing both the cost of a total bolt on might start to be less than two minis and a shop doing the welding for a 49 state cat setup. I haven't researched the details but it's another option. I think Rockauto has a bolt-on setup for under $400.