P0501 After Speedo Gear Change

imahnu

Unorthodox
Supporting Member
Anyone familiar with a P0501 error code after changing speedo gears? I just replaced my speedo gear and afterwards my speedometer was no longer working. I rechecked everything to make sure it was engaged and in the proper setting but it still isn't working and after maybe 40 miles or so it popped up with the CEL code.

This same sequence happened the last time I changed my speedo gear, the only difference was it started working randomly after maybe 3-4 days and continued to work since then. Any ideas?

Sounds like you didn't rotate the speedometer gear housing correctly/far enough so the gear is engaging its pinion gear underneath it.

If I understand correctly, are you referring to the the number settings on the body of the sensor? Like the below picture?

1630951836449.png

Yes, though just because the housing is rotated to the correct range according to the notch the keeper fits into doesn't mean the speedometer gear is fully engaged with the pinion gear. Make sure its setting matches how many teeth are on the new speedometer gear. Like if you have 35" tires (your Profile doesn't say), it'd be a 39 tooth gear.

P.S. I just read you're saving up for a new front axle. I would not bother for 35" tires, your Dana 30 would be MORE than strong enough for a locker and 35" tires with nothing more than an axle shaft upgrade to 4340 chromoly 27 spline shafts. Nope, 30 spline shafts are not needed up front for 35's, that axle seldom sees more than about 50% of the load your rear axle does. :)

Ahh gotcha, I understand now. when I get home ill try it again and see if it makes any difference! Thanks Jerry!

P.S. I just read you're saving up for a new front axle. I would not bother for 35" tires, your Dana 30 would be MORE than strong enough for a locker and 35" tires with nothing more than an axle shaft upgrade to 4340 chromoly 27 spline shafts. Nope, 30 spline shafts are not needed up front for 35's, that axle seldom sees more than about 50% of the load your rear axle does. :)
I appreciate the input! I received my Revolution front axle shafts about 2 weeks ago, just haven't put them in yet. The only want for the HP44 was for when I go mudding. But I'm fairly certain the expense wont be justified.

I have a set of 38s (did not want 38s, wanted 37s but the ones I wanted were on back order since COVID started). I only ever use the 38s when I go mudding, I don't even drive around town on them, I've just had my fill of being buried up to my axles. Even my friends on 35's have the same problem. For the rock crawling and trail riding I do, I have my 33s which are about to be replaced by 35s (Why I'm replacing my speedo gear). I figured the Currie HP44 would handle the mud tires better even though the mudding I do is pretty low stress on axles, those 38s wont be low stress on anything.

Basic thought is that if my Dana 30 with the revolution shafts can handle the 35s on the hard stuff. I'm hoping my same Dana 30 can survive on 38s in the easy stuff. I am prepared to replace ball joints pretty often. Good note is that the BMB do an amazing job stopping those 38's. Way better than I ever imagined they would.

I'm hoping my same Dana 30 can survive on 38s in the easy stuff. I am prepared to replace ball joints pretty often.
I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Not to mention your wheelbase is not long enough for 37's without a stretch, let alone 38's.

I am aware of the wheelbase concern. Only thought is that the terrain here is pretty flat and it’s rare that I feel concerned about stability. Every mud hole at the parks I go to is virtually flat and I know where to avoid and where to go.

all that being said, is the exact reason why I’m keeping my main set of tires at 35” is for. That way I don’t limit the Jeep in technical stuff because of an oversized tire that would be more of a liability than any benefit it brought to the table.