P1388 Error Code

KOOLUSA

Just got a P1388 error code on my 2001 TJ. Saw in a previous post that this is an "Auto Shutdown Relay Control Circuit", which was explained as an open or shorted condition detected in the ASD or CNG shutoff relay control circuit. Can someone translate this for me and any advice on how this should be remedied?

Unless I'm mistaken, the ASD relay controls several critical engine systems, including the fuel pump. If the ASD relay was bad, you'd have a non-running engine. Do you have any odd symptoms going on with the vehicle?

None at all. My Jeep runs fine. They recently replaced two O2 sensors, as well as the exhaust manifold. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it (damaged wires?).

Clear the code. If it comes back after you clear it then I would worry about it, but if it doesn't come back you can rest assured it was probably just a fluke.

I don't have a scanner tool, so do I clear it by disconnecting the battery? Apologies if this is a basic question, but I am new to the Jeep life o_O!

I don't have a scanner tool, so do I clear it by disconnecting the battery? Apologies if this is a basic question, but I am new to the Jeep life o_O!

You can try the battery but I'm not sure that will work. Maybe someone more knowledgeable like @Jerry Bransford knows if the battery thing will work.

I would say to go AutoZone and borrow their scan tool, but those guys are stingy with them now. Due to some lawsuits but some assholes, AutoZone can no longer reset check engine lights anymore. They can only scan them and tell you what codes the vehicle is throwing.

Do yourself a favor and buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050VONTS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That's the same one I have. Works on any vehicle with OBDII, and believe me when I say it's worth every penny. Color screen, fantastic interface (easy to use too!), leave diagnostics, resets codes, etc.

That thing is worth it and then some.

Most codes can be cleared by disconnecting the battery's negative connector for 2-3 minutes and then reconnecting it. The code won't take long to come back though if the underlying reason for the code still exists.

Most codes can be cleared by disconnecting the battery's negative connector for 2-3 minutes and then reconnecting it. The code won't take long to come back though if the underlying reason for the code still exists.

Ahhh, I wasn't sure if the battery trick worked of not. Nice to know!

Sounds good. If the code goes away and doesn't come back you can ignore it.

I would say to go AutoZone and borrow their scan tool, but those guys are stingy with them now. Due to some lawsuits but some assholes, AutoZone can no longer reset check engine lights anymore. They can only scan them and tell you what codes the vehicle is throwing.

@KOOLUSA Usually when Autozone/O'Reilly/etc is scanning they'll hand you the scan tool so you can clear your own error code.

Regardless, scan tools are relatively unexpensive - ~$60-70 for the basic readers. It's well worth the investment.