P1391 and the OBDII scanner conspiracy

AKTJ

Alright so I’m thoroughly confused here. I’ve got a 99 TJ with a Golen 4.6L Stroker.

Part 1
I was at a stop sign the other day and the RPMs started “jumping”, going from 1300 to 300 and back until it finally stalled. A check engine light popped up. I drove it home, read the code, and got P1391. Went through the normal fixes; cleaned electrical connectors, replaced the crankshaft position sensor (Mopar), replaced vacuum lines, CCV valve and grommets. Got in the Jeep and it started up and idled like a dream.

Part 2
I have a BlueDriver OBDII Scanner that’s plugged into the Jeep most of the time I’m driving. While the Jeep was running (after I fixed the P1391 code) I noticed it wasn’t turning on and pulled the scanner from its port, immediately the Jeep started “jumping” again and before it stalled, I plugged the sensor back in… the Jeep immediately corrected its idle and ran smoothly at 650 RPM. I unplugged the scanner and again got the same result, I left it unplugged and the Jeep sporadically idled until it stalled. Tried to start the Jeep without the scanner in and it had a rough time starting then stalled. Plugged the scanner in again, started it, and presto it idled great.

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? I’m stumped

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.