P1682 alternator doesn't seem to charge battery

TJFett01

Supporting Member
I got the 'check gauges' light and the p1682 code. It still starts and runs however the battery slowly drains while running. No new mods.

I suspect it is the alternator since it has not been replaced for the 7.5 years I've had this Jeep (no issues until now). Wires and battery terminals were good with no corrosion. Tested the battery and it is good.

What stock style alternators have you had good experiences with? Do you have other suggestions?

I am looking at these:

REMY 12334
TYC 213876
DB Electric Item #: 400-52100

I got the 'check gauges' light and the p1682 code. It still starts and runs however the battery slowly drains while running. No new mods.

I suspect it is the alternator since it has not been replaced for the 7.5 years I've had this Jeep (no issues until now). Wires and battery terminals were good with no corrosion. Tested the battery and it is good.

What stock style alternators have you had good experiences with? Do you have other suggestions?

I am looking at these:

REMY 12334
TYC 213876
DB Electric Item #: 400-52100

Test the output voltage from the alternator at the copper output stud to see what the voltage is when the engine is running.
Check the wiring on the alternator looking for oxidation or loose connections.
Disconnect the three PCM (ECU) 32 pin wiring harness connectors and look for oxidized pins or clips; firmly snap the connectors into the PCM receptacles. Since the PCM controls charging rate of the alternator; loose or dirty connections could cause the problem you are having.

Reactions: TJFett01
Test the output voltage from the alternator at the copper output stud to see what the voltage is when the engine is running.
Check the wiring on the alternator looking for oxidation or loose connections.
Disconnect the three PCM (ECU) 32 pin wiring harness connectors and look for oxidized pins or clips; firmly snap the connectors into the PCM receptacles. Since the PCM controls charging rate of the alternator; loose or dirty connections could cause the problem you are having.

Output is 0v.
Wiring has no oxidation and has tight connections.
PCM connections are clean and undamaged (unplugged and checked).

Output is 0v.
Wiring has no oxidation and has tight connections.
PCM connections are clean and undamaged (unplugged and checked).
IF you you are confident the wiring between the PCM and alternator are void of bad connections and checked the output voltage at the copper alternator charging stud and it reads "0"; then the problem more than likely is your alternator, but the problem could be a dirty or damaged section of PCM (ECU) circuitry that controls the alternator charging rate.

IF you you are confident the wiring between the PCM and alternator are void of bad connections and checked the output voltage at the copper alternator charging stud and it reads "0"; then the problem more than likely is your alternator, but the problem could be a dirty or damaged section of PCM (ECU) circuitry that controls the alternator charging rate.

I appreciate the responses, didn't think to check the PCM connections. With that being said, I am confident the PCM wiring is good. I can even spray some CRC electric cleaner in the connections to be sure.

The probability is high that it's just the alternator.

The more research and testing I do points to the issue being the alternator.

Anybody have suggestions for a good alternator? Any I listed g2g?