PA speaker for CB?

kiwi

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve got the Uniden 520xl which has the PA feature. So i’m looking into adding a speaker setup just for fun. Those who’ve added a PA setup to their jeep, what do u need? Best speaker? Thanks in advance!

I too have the 520xl. The PA "Feature" is half bogus - it only puts out 7 watts, completely useless for PA use. You want either an amplified PA horn, or a PA horn and separate amp. I blundered my way into the second setup, pieced everything together including an impedance matching circuit, a 50 watt amp, a 50 watt horn; tested it, worked GREAT - then the next time I went to use it it was dead. I don't yet know why - haven't had a chance to do much troubleshooting.

FWIW, here's a video demonstrating the non-amplified vs amplified output:

Reactions: kiwi and rasband
@Zorba, thanks for posting. You've done more than I have.

I too have the 520XL, and I installed one of these, without an amp or anything. @Jerry Bransford explained to me after the fact why the Uniden isn't able to power that speaker very well, but I also suppose that it depends upon your usage. For me, just messing around with the kids, etc., it's still loud enough to be fun. If I were leading a Jeep rally or trying to start a new political party, I'd probably invest in something more.

Reactions: Blondie70 and kiwi
I’ve got the Uniden 520xl which has the PA feature. So i’m looking into adding a speaker setup just for fun. Those who’ve added a PA setup to their jeep, what do u need? Best speaker? Thanks in advance!

But just to answer the question: all you need is a PA speaker that comes with with a 1/8" plug. The one I linked above had a line long enough to reach the CB without any extension needed. But again, depending upon what you want, you might put an amp in, or you might end up getting a speaker that takes a different type/size input, etc.

Reactions: kiwi
I too have the 520xl. The PA "Feature" is half bogus - it only puts out 7 watts, completely useless for PA use. You want either an amplified PA horn, or a PA horn and separate amp. I blundered my way into the second setup, pieced everything together including an impedance matching circuit, a 50 watt amp, a 50 watt horn; tested it, worked GREAT - then the next time I went to use it it was dead. I don't yet know why - haven't had a chance to do much troubleshooting.

@Zorba, what horn and amp did you end up with? And where did you mount it all?

@Zorba, what horn and amp did you end up with? And where did you mount it all?
FWIW, and I'm currently not recommending it because I don't yet know why its suddenly not working...

39d.jpg
1f2.jpg

Horn BARELY fits:

Thanks for your reply. I might have an amp laying around that i could get to work. The video was super helpful, definitely seems like an amp is the better way to go, just also more expensive.

@Zorba, thanks for posting. You've done more than I have.

I too have the 520XL, and I installed one of these, without an amp or anything. @Jerry Bransford explained to me after the fact why the Uniden isn't able to power that speaker very well, but I also suppose that it depends upon your usage. For me, just messing around with the kids, etc., it's still loud enough to be fun. If I were leading a Jeep rally or trying to start a new political party, I'd probably invest in something more.
About how loud is it without the amp? I don’t plan on using it for much, just for messing around and having fun.

About how loud is it without the amp? I don’t plan on using it for much, just for messing around and having fun.

Wish I had a good way to measure or explain. Loud enough to get people's attention across the intersection when having a laugh. I haven't turned it up and shouted into it only because I don't want to annoy my neighbors. Maybe get a horn that you're sure would also work with an amp, then if you need it buy the amp too?

Mounting it outside the engine well might help keep it as loud as possible. That little one I bought fits right on top of my front shock mounts, so there's nothing to get in the way of its sound. That might be why I'm pleased with it without an amp.

Be aware that what seems loud to one person or what would seem loud in a very quiet environment may not be even close to loud enough for others or if you're in a noisy environment.

Some PA speakers require a lot of power to perform well, others are happier with less power. And the wattage indication given for a speaker is not how powerful it is, that is just its maximum allowable power it can handle without damage. So if a PA speaker has a 50 watt rating, it's not going to be very loud when plugged into a CB radio which, at most, has a 5-7 watt amplifier. You're more likely to have better results with a PA speaker rated to 10-15 watts at the most and intended for use with a CB radio whose power level is very limited.

You'd be far better off, in my opinion, getting an inexpensive PA speaker with a small built-in amplifier. Whatever you buy just make sure it comes with the correct 1/8" speaker plug that your CB requires.

P.S. Someone gave me a small plastic PA speaker years ago and its volume level was laughable, I never bothered mounting it after testing its sound level.

Reactions: Zorba and SvtLdr
FWIW, and I'm currently not recommending it because I don't yet know why its suddenly not working...

View attachment 270659View attachment 270660

Horn BARELY fits:

Just to bring this full circle - the amp now works again. So it would appear the Nobsound amp is GTG. The problem with the sudden failure was the inline connector at the speaker failed - of all things. I replaced it with a better grade connector that will presumably hold up better. In any event, it works once more.

Finally got around to getting this done. Can someone let me know if this is a stupid idea? I’d put the PA speaker on the OEM horn mount, and then drill a hole in the side and mount the horn on the side of it. I’m unfamiliar with these things so let me know if it’s stupid! Lol

131368ED-FEA0-40E2-90D8-89C5947F41A3.jpeg

CA4A2DC2-66B6-40D2-BA25-2D006888871A.jpeg

2D501101-65B0-4CDB-BD60-770C11FE0904.jpeg

I mounted mine facing the opposite direction but that should work ok too.