"Pacing myself" build

The cover is made by Rampage(a Christmas gift from my daughter). It isn't terrible to put on, but takes a bit of stuffing to get it to zipper up. Taking it off is super easy, and keeps the top from getting all dusty. My windows are fubar'd, so I'm not using them at the moment.

Thanks for the info. I run a soft top + spiderweb shade for the summer (just switched this past weekend) but I have been contemplating ditching the soft top altogether and just running with the mesh shade this year. Might get a windjammer like yours from CL if I can find one. The soft top is nice to have for long trips though ... I mostly run safari top style over the summer but longer trips the windows are useful.

I know someone locally who has an extra set of tinted windows for a factory top. He was talking about selling that set (he's not on any of the forums these days). They are not brand new, but I have seen them in person and they are in great shape. If you are interested, I can ask him how much he wants for them. He lives pretty close to my house so don't mind talking to him at all.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Thanks for the info. I run a soft top + spiderweb shade for the summer (just switched this past weekend) but I have been contemplating ditching the soft top altogether and just running with the mesh shade this year. Might get a windjammer like yours from CL if I can find one. The soft top is nice to have for long trips though ... I mostly run safari top style over the summer but longer trips the windows are useful.

I know someone locally who has an extra set of tinted windows for a factory top. He was talking about selling that set (he's not on any of the forums these days). They are not brand new, but I have seen them in person and they are in great shape. If you are interested, I can ask him how much he wants for them. He lives pretty close to my house so don't mind talking to him at all.

That would be awesome if you could ask him. My soft top is a CL find off a 2001 TJ. There are some differences in the side windows between 97-02 and 03-06. I need the driver side window to have the zipper pull. Passenger side has the zipper pull on the top.

I also run a Spidyweb shade full time. The one I'm using as a makeshift duster is a TJ Kini. I purchased an additional Krawler TJ shade. It terminates just behind the sound pods. I used to have a SW1, which is more like a safari style that extends past the C pillars, but sold it. The Krawler shade doesn't obstruct my rear view like the SW1 did, but i don't run a back seat, so I'm not concerned about rear seat shade. However, if I want shade for the dog, I can re-purpose the TJ Kini for rear shade if the top is down.

Reactions: Alex01
That would be awesome if you could ask him. My soft top is a CL find off a 2001 TJ. There are some differences in the side windows between 97-02 and 03-06. I need the driver side window to have the zipper pull. Passenger side has the zipper pull on the top.

I also run a Spidyweb shade full time. The one I'm using as a makeshift duster is a TJ Kini. I purchased an additional Krawler TJ shade. It terminates just behind the sound pods. I used to have a SW1, which is more like a safari style that extends past the C pillars, but sold it. The Krawler shade doesn't obstruct my rear view like the SW1 did, but i don't run a back seat, so I'm not concerned about rear seat shade. However, if I want shade for the dog, I can re-purpose the TJ Kini for rear shade if the top is down.

Just texted him asking what year his are.

This is my first summer with the spider web shade. I like it a lot. What I really *want* is a new bestop with that that flip-up sunrider feature. I can see myself using that a lot. But those tops are pretty spendy and my factory one is in very good shape so I am not going to bother till it's time to replace it which will be quite a long while.

Just texted him asking what year his are.

This is my first summer with the spider web shade. I like it a lot. What I really *want* is a new bestop with that that flip-up sunrider feature. I can see myself using that a lot. But those tops are pretty spendy and my factory one is in very good shape so I am not going to bother till it's time to replace it which will be quite a long while.

The sunrider feature is nifty, but I have to be careful of prolonged sun exposure, so It's not a big benefit for me. If the top is down, the spidy shade is up. I still get enough "top off" feel with the Spidy shade to satisfy me. I recall seeing a kit you could get to convert your factory top to a run a flip up feature. Think there even is a DIY on the webs to do it.

I talked to the guy. The windows he has are for an '04. If you think they'll work, he just wants shipping for them, nothing more.

The sunrider feature is nifty, but I have to be careful of prolonged sun exposure, so It's not a big benefit for me. If the top is down, the spidy shade is up. I still get enough "top off" feel with the Spidy shade to satisfy me. I recall seeing a kit you could get to convert your factory top to a run a flip up feature. Think there even is a DIY on the webs to do it.

Being from India, I usually don't get burnt, I just become more brown with typical driving inside the city 🤣. But I got burnt one time when I went hiking and forgot to take both my hat and sunscreen. That sucked so much. Can't imagine putting up with that on a regular basis. Agree that the mesh shade is a great "in-between" option. I have seen that kit you talk about (Make it "Flip ur top"). I have contemplated it in the past and decided not to cut up my factory top. When it's time to replace it, if the bestop sunrider is still available, I'll just get that.

Last edited:
@Alex01 , I scratch your back, you scratch mine! Metaphorically speaking of course, yuk! Lol!
20190712_112417.jpg

Should be a fun day. I have the pinion seal sitting in the jeep awaiting delivery. Are we replacing the springs also or did you do that already?

No, I haven't done the springs yet. We have enough on the plate already, so I'll save that for another day. I want to re-check my bumps and axle placement while I have the springs out.