"Pacing myself" build

I did not try that. I still don't understand why in some Jeeps the problem goes away without the front DS. I keep thinking about it on and off. I was very drained by the ordeal that this summer I decided no major mods and to just enjoy driving the Jeep.
Do yours go away with the front driveshaft off?

Do yours go away with the front driveshaft off?

No, when I had the vibration issue that never made a difference. If it did, I would have gotten new wheels and front locking hubs and would have still saved a lot of money compared to how much I spent in parts and labor trying to resolve it.

@bobthetj03 I replaced my front driveline today with Tom Woods, and it totally fixed my vibe issue. Here is what I had. I had a smaller what seemed to be a harmonic vibe after a regear, then went to Moab (without you) then encountered a more pronounced vibration. Here is what I had. It was solid as glass till right at 45 mph. then it would start vibrating then about 48 get a little worse and just stay that bad from here on out.

I had new front lower control arm brackets welded on because I bent them at Moab but it didn't fix the vibe. The other day I crawled underneath and looked at everything. Measurements are so close. The front pinion angle is slightly low, but other than that I didn't see anything then low and behold a good sized dent in my front driveline from I am guessing "poison spider." I called Tom Woods, and he hooked me up. Man that is a slick outfit. I called on Monday morning, and it was sitting at my house on Thursday the same week.

Anyhow, I put it in today and no more vibes.

IMG-1911 (1).JPG

@bobthetj03 I replaced my front driveline today with Tom Woods, and it totally fixed my vibe issue. Here is what I had. I had a smaller what seemed to be a harmonic vibe after a regear, then went to Moab (without you) then encountered a more pronounced vibration. Here is what I had. It was solid as glass till right at 45 mph. then it would start vibrating then about 48 get a little worse and just stay that bad from here on out.

I had new front lower control arm brackets welded on because I bent them at Moab but it didn't fix the vibe. The other day I crawled underneath and looked at everything. Measurements are so close. The front pinion angle is slightly low, but other than that I didn't see anything then low and behold a good sized dent in my front driveline from I am guessing "poison spider." I called Tom Woods, and he hooked me up. Man that is a slick outfit. I called on Monday morning, and it was sitting at my house on Thursday the same week.

Anyhow, I put it in today and no more vibes.

View attachment 110305

That's awesome brah! Glad you solved the evil vibe!

Reactions: ac_
I think I have come to see the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of where I want the jeep to be. There is really only a few more things I'd like to accomplish with the rig. I'd like to put a selectable front locker in and beef up the axle shafts, get some good seat covers, and a new soft top, add my LED cubes to the rear bumper, and get that dang AC fixed. The harmonic vibes thing will be a constant battle, so I'll continue to plug away at that. The rest will be to fix what breaks and soldier on. I'd like to get some cosmetic stuff cleaned up as well. It will still be my daily, so I'd like to keep it looking good. So, with that being said, my build thread will be slow. The upcoming Rubicon trip may change the order of things, so we shall see how the rig fairs. My end goal is to have a rig that can make it thru the Con with minimal impact, but also be able to daily the rig and go on overland type trips where long distance comfort and reliability is important. I think I'm pretty close to that.

I think I have come to see the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of where I want the jeep to be. There is really only a few more things I'd like to accomplish with the rig. I'd like to put a selectable front locker in and beef up the axle shafts, get some good seat covers, and a new soft top, add my LED cubes to the rear bumper, and get that dang AC fixed. The harmonic vibes thing will be a constant battle, so I'll continue to plug away at that. The rest will be to fix what breaks and soldier on. I'd like to get some cosmetic stuff cleaned up as well. It will still be my daily, so I'd like to keep it looking good. So, with that being said, my build thread will be slow. The upcoming Rubicon trip may change the order of things, so we shall see how the rig fairs. My end goal is to have a rig that can make it thru the Con with minimal impact, but also be able to daily the rig and go on overland type trips where long distance comfort and reliability is important. I think I'm pretty close to that.
I think that’s a great build plan, more from me on this in 27 days.

Reactions: lowranger
Spent Labor Day laboring over my Jeep a little. Changed out my front upper A-arm frame bushings with a fresh pair. After 70K miles they were starting to show their age. Passenger side didn't look too bad. Driver side showed signs of bulging and cracking. Believe it or not, the front upper factory Clevite's still look ok. Greased the chassis, drive shafts, and torqued wheel lugs. Was hoping to change out the rear springs for the fresh ones I got from @ac_ but it's getting too hot in the shop, so that's good enough for today.
front upper (1).jpg
front upper (2).jpg
front upper (3).jpg
front upper (4).jpg

Spent Labor Day laboring over my Jeep a little. Changed out my front upper A-arm frame bushings with a fresh pair. After 70K miles they were starting to show their age. Passenger side didn't look too bad. Driver side showed signs of bulging and cracking. Believe it or not, the front upper factory Clevite's still look ok. Greased the chassis, drive shafts, and torqued wheel lugs. Was hoping to change out the rear springs for the fresh ones I got from @ac_ but it's getting too hot in the shop, so that's good enough for today.
View attachment 113021View attachment 113023View attachment 113024View attachment 113026
Did it fix the sag or give you a huge rake?

Did it fix the sag or give you a huge rake?

Didn't get them installed. Too hot. Went home. It'll have to wait till after the Con. Still have a couple last minute things to do to our coach as well, including a new door latch/lock. The Tri/Mark lock has been known to lock you out of the RV, so that needs remedied with a new Bauer unit. Installed new camlocks for the cargo doors outside for a little better security.

Didn't get them installed. Too hot. Went home. It'll have to wait till after the Con. Still have a couple last minute things to do to our coach as well, including a new door latch/lock. The Tri/Mark lock has been known to lock you out of the RV, so that needs remedied with a new Bauer unit. Installed new camlocks for the cargo doors outside for a little better security.
Oh yeah, I miss-read that. I am getting excited to see how those work for you on your TJ.

Oh yeah, I miss-read that. I am getting excited to see how those work for you on your TJ.

I know! I'm kind of scared to find out if I'll get a dragster like you did. I'll be sure to do some careful measuring when I pull the first spring.

I know! I'm kind of scared to find out if I'll get a dragster like you did. I'll be sure to do some careful measuring when I pull the first spring.
Take pictures side by side with the old springs as you go.

I will tell you this, now I am running the Currie 4", and I am not running any kind of riser in the front, and it has probably the stock amount of rake. I think a normal 3/4 inch would probably level it out, but I tow with it, and I haul loads with it, so I let my trailer level it out. That means I have a slight rake in normal driving, but really nothing crazy.

I kind of wish, I would have tested them out on Robyn's Jeep, but my old timey brain said to use the lights because @glwood had a hard top and lights, and I know she isn't really going to haul or tow anything, so I thought she would like the level look, and the car type ride, so I opted for the lights, but I completely forgot that was my reasoning.

I honestly hope those work out for you. Then everybody ends up happy.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Well, the springs in there now are the exact same ones, but with 100K more miles on them, so there shouldn't be much of a difference. My old springs sagged maybe 1/4" at the most, which is impressive to me.

Reactions: ac_