"Pacing myself" build

What time are you going to be there?
7CB46625-77E9-4370-8958-330362793B84.jpeg

See you there

Sorry I had to cut your visit short D. My wife had grand baby visit on the brain and was impatient. I was hoping to take you for a drive so you could give me your opinion. Next time I guess.
Good news, the howling gear noise is gone. Hunter 4x4 made good. Only took me three 5hr round trips to get it right. Sadly, the vibes are unchanged, no worse, no better. Gonna take a break from this fiasco, take the top off, and recoop from this nightmare.

Sorry I had to cut your visit short D. My wife had grand baby visit on the brain and was impatient. I was hoping to take you for a drive so you could give me your opinion. Next time I guess.
Good news, the howling gear noise is gone. Hunter 4x4 made good. Only took me three 5hr round trips to get it right. Sadly, the vibes are unchanged, no worse, no better. Gonna take a break from this fiasco, take the top off, and recoop from this nightmare.
It’s all good, I’m glad they took care of the howling, maybe we’ll get a look at it at Slickrock?

It’s all good, I’m glad they took care of the howling, maybe we’ll get a look at it at Slickrock?

It was very nice of you to take the time to stop by to partake in my jeep shenanigans, and I thank you for that. Slickrock is a pipe dream right now, so we shall see. Hoping to put something together for a day run that I can participate in.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Well, good on gears, but shucks. 😢

Well, now that I know nothing was wrong with the rear diff or the gears, I have a healthy Traclok carrier with thick cut 4.56 gears for a Dana 44 if anyone wants it.

• Sad
Reactions: psrivats
@bobthetj03 good to hear the shop did good. Write them a good feedback! I wish there were more honest shops like that. That said ... sucks that the vibes are unchanged.

I'm going to make a wild recommendation - you should try swapping the suspension with one of the NorCal Jeep gang. Springs, arms, tires, everything. If this is a harmonic vibration (which I very much think it is now), we've gotta try and either (a) prevent it from happening (b) dampen it e.g. with heavier skid plate/dynamat and pray it is enough (c) break the harmonic if it sets up. (a) is not possible in my opinion, if it were, we will have known how already after so these years. (b) I already did all I could, and (c) is where I was going with a new tuned mass damper. I found out that there is no company that makes (or is willing to make) an aftermarket damper for the 231/241 or for the 4.0 engine.

I'm really eager to see what Dave says about mine after the suspension rehaul. All the starting angles will be different and I'm hoping that does the trick, since you and I both know playing within angles we have really gets you nothing. I should know soon, the front/rear susp is all about done and he'll be test driving pretty soon.

FYI- I went far enough to spend the money to swap my transfer case and transmission with known good ones, one at a time, to see if that would stop the vibes. They did not. They changed the "tone" a little bit, but the problem did not go away. The only things left in my rig to check is the frame, engine and the suspension and I'm pretty sure there is no problem in either.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobthetj03

4 inch and 35's could be in your future 🤣

Durning the midarm install though I will have the full suspension removed.

Reactions: psrivats
I'm spending this week breaking in gears, again, and waiting for it to warm up to pull the hardtop. Next on tap is to fix the intake whistle when cold bull shit. AC is still blowing cold, so I think I've crossed that hurdle. I need to get out and wheel this turd!

I'm spending this week breaking in gears, again, and waiting for it to warm up to pull the hardtop. Next on tap is to fix the intake whistle when cold bull shit. AC is still blowing cold, so I think I've crossed that hurdle. I need to get out and wheel this turd!
I have the intake whistle when cold too. Since the weather has climbed above 50, it hasn't been doing it... Thinking it's around the throttle body, only because running without the induction tube attached to the throttle body produces a similar sound.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I have the intake whistle when cold too. Since the weather has climbed above 50, it hasn't been doing it... Thinking it's around the throttle body, only because running without the induction tube attached to the throttle body produces a similar sound.

If I tighten the last intake bolt near the firewall it will go away for a while, then come back. Pretty sure it's the intake gasket. I smoke checked it and found the throttle body flapper shaft leaks, but I don't think that is the culprit.

Reactions: Mike_H
If I tighten the last intake bolt near the firewall it will go away for a while, then come back. Pretty sure it's the intake gasket. I smoke checked it and found the throttle body flapper shaft leaks, but I don't think that is the culprit.
I haven't really started to trouble shoot mine yet, but it's moving up the list. Getting harder to start occasionally.

Reactions: bobthetj03