"Pacing myself" build

I just calculated this last trip. 8.82 MPG. Yeah! FU Prius's!
Considering my TJ gets 13 mpg roughly 9 mpg isn't bad. I find it amazing your 12,000lbs + RV with a v10 only gets 4 mpg less per mile than my 4500lbs TJ.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I had a hard time explaining to my wife that we were best off driving the TJ to Tahoe later this year than towing it.

-The Jeep is slow
- Max speed while towing is 55, the Jeep will go faster than that.
-The Jeep gets bad mileage
- It gets better mileage than my dad's truck we'd borrow to tow it there does even when not towing.
-The Jeep doesn't have A/C
- It does now! :ROFLMAO:

I had a hard time explaining to my wife that we were best off driving the TJ to Tahoe later this year than towing it.

-The Jeep is slow
- Max speed while towing is 55, the Jeep will go faster than that.
-The Jeep gets bad mileage
- It gets better mileage than my dad's truck we'd borrow to tow it there does even when not towing.
-The Jeep doesn't have A/C
- It does now! :ROFLMAO:

I've done that trip tons of times in the jeep. Now that I have a trailer I would gladly tow it :ROFLMAO:

Are you hitting up any particular trails while you're up there?

Reactions: ac_
I've done that trip tons of times in the jeep. Now that I have a trailer I would gladly tow it :ROFLMAO:

It's close to a 6hr drive for me.

I'm not 100% sure yet but I think I was looking at something called strawberry hill/trail? I'm trying to find something a little easier than the Rubicon as I'll be wheeling alone and a long way from home.

Main reason I don't want to tow it I'd have to borrow my dad's truck and trailer and I have terrible luck when borrowing his stuff. Something always seems to happen when I'm using his stuff. My half ton has a pinging issue that I'm having a hard time figuring out so I don't want to take it. Only seems to happen at high throttle opening, I think it's starving for fuel but I'm not sure if it's fuel pump or injectors. Truck doesn't have a filter so it isn't that.

/end threadjack

Reactions: Alex01
It's close to a 6hr drive for me.

I'm not 100% sure yet but I think I was looking at something called strawberry hill/trail? I'm trying to find something a little easier than the Rubicon as I'll be wheeling alone and a long way from home.

Main reason I don't want to tow it I'd have to borrow my dad's truck and trailer and I have terrible luck when borrowing his stuff. Something always seems to happen when I'm using his stuff. My half ton has a pinging issue that I'm having a hard time figuring out so I don't want to take it. Only seems to happen at high throttle opening, I think it's starving for fuel but I'm not sure if it's fuel pump or injectors. Truck doesn't have a filter so it isn't that.

/end threadjack
Where you at in the Valley?

Yeah towing my TJ on my flatbed with my truck and camper I was getting a touch less than 8 and I had to pull over a few passes getting home from Moab. I am kind of happy I am not the only one getting that kind of mileage. It makes for expensive vacations. I feel like I should get some kind of rebate from Chevy though. I get 10 when I am not towing anything.

Yeah towing my TJ on my flatbed with my truck and camper I was getting a touch less than 8 and I had to pull over a few passes getting home from Moab. I am kind of happy I am not the only one getting that kind of mileage. It makes for expensive vacations. I feel like I should get some kind of rebate from Chevy though. I get 10 when I am not towing anything.
I love my baby diesel truck. I got 15 mpg average for Moab and around 24 highway to LA. I had really bad luck with it throwing CEL's though up until 11k miles but the last 19k has been flawless. I can't say I'm excited to own it out of warranty though.

I'm sure if I had a camper it would bring it down a hell of a lot more though.

Reactions: ac_
I'm not sure what I get with my 23' motorhome with a V-10 and a 55 gallon gas tank, but I can go a hell of a long ways on a tank of gas. It tows my Jeep on the trailer with no problem. We have everything we need with us, can stop anywhere anytime and spend the night. Pretty self sufficient. The price of admission. :)

Reactions: ac_ and Alex01
It's the price you pay to play, right? How much does a decent hotel cost, plus the price of gas to haul your 3.5 kids in your 7 passenger land yacht that gets 15.7mpg going down hill. Ok, mini van time! That stow and go seating is priceless, right?

I'm not sure what I get with my 23' motorhome with a V-10 and a 55 gallon gas tank, but I can go a hell of a long ways on a tank of gas. It tows my Jeep on the trailer with no problem. We have everything we need with us, can stop anywhere anytime and spend the night. Pretty self sufficient. The price of admission. :)
My wife recently got a job at the Hilton so she gets rooms for $35 a night with her employee discount. It really took away the argument for saving money with a motor home :ROFLMAO:

Lucky for me though her dad has a toy hauler and wants a motor home next so she has good memories / wants one also one day. I just need to get out of my starter home in the next 5-10 years and get a place that has a bit of land I could park some fun toys on.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I like during long trips, you just drive as long as you want, then when you get tired, just find a rest stop or some side road some where and pull over. Fix dinner and spend the night. Don't have to try and find a decent Motel somewhere and drag your luggage up to your room, then go out and find a restaurant for dinner.

Kind of liking this configuration with the top down and Windjammer up.
20190711_123141.jpg
20190711_123148.jpg

I could easily stack a bunch of gear and let the Spidy shade hold stuff down. I also have my tailgate rack for additional light weight stowage.
I still think I want to get an additional Bestop saddle bag for the other side.

@bobthetj03 I like that combo. What "cover" do you have on the folded soft top? Been looking for something like that. Is it difficult to take off and put back on? What do you do with the windows?

@bobthetj03 I like that combo. What "cover" do you have on the folded soft top? Been looking for something like that. Is it difficult to take off and put back on? What do you do with the windows?

The cover is made by Rampage(a Christmas gift from my daughter). It isn't terrible to put on, but takes a bit of stuffing to get it to zipper up. Taking it off is super easy, and keeps the top from getting all dusty. My windows are fubar'd, so I'm not using them at the moment.