Paint Help: How to Prep Jeep For New Paint

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
I was going to repaint my 2000 Sahara with a friend of mine but before we were able to do it the temperatures dropped too low to get it done. Now its almost February in Arkansas and I will have to wait until it gets warmer to get to paint it. I got the jeep wet sanded down before it turned cold and haven't done anything to it since then. I was wondering what special things I will need to do to get the jeep ready to be painted after going through the winter being wet sanded. I hope this question isn't confusing but I need some help and some advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Remove anything that bolts on where you want paint. Door handles, mirrors, tail lights, license plate mounts, hood latches, marker lights, turn signal lamps, antenna. This small detail will set your paint job apart from the tape it off crowd.

I just reread your post. Sounds like your wanting to drive/store this until paint. Since you’ve already cut open the paint, I’ll let Jim take this one.

All those sand scratches are going to accumulate contamination as you drive it, so a good cleaning will be needed when you do paint. I'd hit it again with a grey Scotchbrite pad and a quality wax/grease remover before you prime/paint.

I have some grey scuff pads and a heavy duty cleaner I’m planning on using before I paint it. Thanks for the replies.