Painting dash / interior?

And No flat paint! It is much more porous. Anything you paint needs several coats of clear on top to prevent the staining you got.

It sounds like maybe you cleaned it sufficiently but there is soap residue in micro cracks? Possibly try another full rinse down with a textured cloth of some sort?

You could try using baking soda and a brush. That should get any dirt out of the dash with it's textured surface. There's a YT vid of a guy with a many year old junkyard dash that had sat in dirt and filth for years. He uses a big strong brush and baking soda and some water. And gets them like new.

If your gonna paint. Read some threads and how to's online. I'd do the following:

Use SEM Landau Black if you want to replicate the original black color. I don't know what replicates your grey color.

Wash with dawn.

Rinse with water and let them dry. Or you can do both the dawn and pads below together.

Sand down with grey scotch brite auto body pads.

Rinse with water. And let them dry.

Wipe down with acetone or similar.

Use SEM Adhesion Promoter. Light coats. Follow the directions on the can.

Then spray the SEM Landau Black. Light coats. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON CAN. You'd be surprised how different the instructions are than what you've been taught in the past. I used to paint, let dry overnight, and paint again. Wrong. Usually it takes 15 minute intervals between coats for best adhesion. But follow the can.

Some guys spray a satin clear coat over this. But I personally don't think it's necessary. I used this method after long exhaustive research on my flares. And they are holding up great. Plus if you plan on aggressivly cleaning the clear would probably wear off and flake.

Lastly, if you plan on aggressively cleaning long term. I'd skip painting. And just deal with what you've got. Find better cleaners. And use that baking soda idea. Otherwise paint will wear off. And you'll be left with a mess. That may not be able to be cleaned up. Except with removing it all and painting it again.

Reactions: Cornbread
You could try using baking soda and a brush. That should get any dirt out of the dash with it's textured surface. There's a YT vid of a guy with a many year old junkyard dash that had sat in dirt and filth for years. He uses a big strong brush and baking soda and some water. And gets them like new.

If your gonna paint. Read some threads and how to's online. I'd do the following:

Use SEM Landau Black if you want to replicate the original black color. I don't know what replicates your grey color.

Wash with dawn.

Rinse with water and let them dry. Or you can do both the dawn and pads below together.

Sand down with grey scotch brite auto body pads.

Rinse with water. And let them dry.

Wipe down with acetone or similar.

Use SEM Adhesion Promoter. Light coats. Follow the directions on the can.

Then spray the SEM Landau Black. Light coats. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON CAN. You'd be surprised how different the instructions are than what you've been taught in the past. I used to paint, let dry overnight, and paint again. Wrong. Usually it takes 15 minute intervals between coats for best adhesion. But follow the can.

Some guys spray a satin clear coat over this. But I personally don't think it's necessary. I used this method after long exhaustive research on my flares. And they are holding up great. Plus if you plan on aggressivly cleaning the clear would probably wear off and flake.

Lastly, if you plan on aggressively cleaning long term. I'd skip painting. And just deal with what you've got. Find better cleaners. And use that baking soda idea. Otherwise paint will wear off. And you'll be left with a mess. That may not be able to be cleaned up. Except with removing it all and painting it again.
Wow thanks for the great tips! Will give the baking soda a try this weekend and let you know the results. Fingers crossed it will do the trick🤞

It seems like it would. Being all tiny grained and abrasive.

UPDATE: Baking soda worked great! removed 90% of stains. Definitely cleaner than when I got her, sadly now its so clean the scratches and scuffs show up especially on the glove box 🙈. Very happy with how it turned out, would definitely recommend baking soda to any others attempting to clean tough stains.

Reactions: JKLNHYD
UPDATE: Baking soda worked great! removed 90% of stains. Definitely cleaner than when I got her, sadly now its so clean the scratches and scuffs show up especially on the glove box 🙈. Very happy with how it turned out, would definitely recommend baking soda to any others attempting to clean tough stains.

Glad it worked. I'd only heard about it. Never used it. Except on my hands. Pour some in your hand with dawn. And it will really get into the prints and cracks. If you will. lol.

Reactions: BrettH
Once you do get it cleaned up and feel the urge to go mudding again...you could try this cling film over the dash and centre consul and when your done just peel it off again...job done!! (y)😁

1574387698982.png

Reactions: jeepins