Painting door panels with SEM paint

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
For those that have painted door panels with SEM paint, did you have to apply any type of clear coat/matte coat to get it to match the rest of the interior, or is the color coat the last step?

Reactions: BobK
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Thanks for starting the thread, I'll be watching it too for responses.

Were you able to find SEM paints that match your existing interior color?

Reactions: MountaineerTom
According to a PDF file I came across on the SEM site, it says Khaki Color Coat 15833 is for my Khaki interior.

The way I got to this is my build sheet says J3 is my interior code.

If you go to their site click resources, scroll down to Formulas and click the learn more button, then scroll down to Trim Code Formulas and type your year in. It will bring up the PDF file. It says J3 is Khaki and the formula is 5545.

Then if you go to their color cards (right above where you put the year in for formulas) and select color coat color cards, it will show a couple PDF's to open. For mine it was on the second PDF. That file showed formula 5545 is 15833. On the card it looks darker, but I know it can be misleading. I'm going to get a can and see how well it matches.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3HXUIS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

1567311559852.png

Reactions: Jack72 and BobK
Did you use any kind of prep spray before the SEM paint?

I'm wondering that too. SEM told me to use their 39362 SEM soap, then 38353 plastic and leather prep.

My situation has a wrinkle in it though. The half doors I bought had panels that were originally gray but had been painted black. The finish isn't terrible, but it does have some wear spots and scratches. No major peeling or flaking.

SEM also told me if I had any raw plastic showing I'd need to use the correct adhesion promoter and to let him know and we would discuss that. I told him I'd imagine there would be after I scuffed the area with a gray 3M scuff pad, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

A friend who did body auto work for a while said he has painted many door panels with SEM. He said he washed thoroughly with Dawn dish soap, let dry, scuffed with a scotch bright pad a isopropyl alcohol and they painted with SEM and always had good results.

I don't know if i need to use adhesion promotor or not with it already painted before. I don't mind using it, I just don't want to mess it up. After scuffing, will adhesion promotor on top of whatever kind of paint that black paint is hurt?

IMG_8409.JPG

IMG_8411.JPG

IMG_8413.JPG

IMG_8414.JPG

I painted my entire interior with SEM paint and left it as it sprayed so no issues trying to match anything. I did not topcoat it with anything after putting color down.

Even though you painted the whole interior and didn’t use any top coat, did it still have the same look as original?

Not too shiny or to dull?

I used adhesion promoter on my flares and then SEM trim black. On the interior mrblaine swears by the color Landau Black. It's supposed to be the closest match to the agate interior. But that description above that shows where to find your matching color seems valuable too.

I would use the adhesion promoter. (It comes out like a smooth clear coat.) I only say use it as you have multiple surfaces your trying to cover. The black paint and the parts where the black paint chipped off and shows the plastic. I think your better off covering your bases and using the adhesion promoter over both surfaces. Just to make sure the color coat sticks long term.

I would also scrub the hell out of it with grey auto body scotchbrite pads. I used those before the Dawn. And with the Dawn.

Be sure to follow the directions on the can. I followed those times and mine turned out really nice. We'll see long term.

Did you use any kind of prep spray before the SEM paint?
I removed everything from Jeep. Washed and scrubbed using very light scuff pad with Dawn dish soap (great for any grease/dirt removal). After drying in the sun I wiped everything down with auto body wax & grease remover then separated the parts according to two colors: black and graphite. I used a combination of bulldog adhesion promoter and SEM's plastic adhesion promoter before putting down 2-3 coats of paint depending on the part/panel.

The difference in adhesion promoter was only because I've used both before and had both on hand. Really no difference or other reason and i'd use either exclusively if I had enough when I did this.

This is all great information. I followed the bread crumb trail left by @MountaineerTom and found my SEM paint code (thanks, I would have never found all that on my own). I want/need to paint both door panels and my glove box cover. But I'm concerned about matching without tearing apart and painting the entire dash.

Also I both door panels have a crack at the top near the window, its only about 1/8 inch or less wide and about an inch long. They aren't that bad, but offend my OCD. Is there a way to repair this before painting?

Last edited:
It seems they could have an easier way to find the paint you need. It’s a long round about way. At least I didn’t see any other way to find it.

There are ways to fix the crack. I have a couple too in these half door panels I’m wanting to paint. I plan to drill a small hole at the ends of the crack to keep it from spreading. Them use JB weld for plastic on the edges of the crack and to fill in the hole. On the back I plan to cut some thin aluminum so I can mold it to fit. Drill some holes in the aluminum, scuff the area of the inside door panel and the aluminum where they will meet and use the same JB weld to hold it on like a reinforced backing plate. The holes will let JB weld squeeze through and hold onto the aluminum.

There are a couple threads on this site about door crack repairs.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/door-panel-crack-repair.13615/

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fixing-minor-cracks-in-door-panels.20889/

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/cracked-or-faded-door-panel-try-this.1425/

Reactions: Dan T. and BobK
It seems they could have an easier way to find the paint you need. It’s a long round about way. At least I didn’t see any other way to find it.

There are ways to fix the crack. I have a couple too in these half door panels I’m wanting to paint. I plan to drill a small hole at the ends of the crack to keep it from spreading. Them use JB weld for plastic on the edges of the crack and to fill in the hole. On the back I plan to cut some thin aluminum so I can mold it to fit. Drill some holes in the aluminum, scuff the area of the inside door panel and the aluminum where they will meet and use the same JB weld to hold it on like a reinforced backing plate. The holes will let JB weld squeeze through and hold onto the aluminum.

There are a couple threads on this site about door crack repairs.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/door-panel-crack-repair.13615/

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fixing-minor-cracks-in-door-panels.20889/

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/cracked-or-faded-door-panel-try-this.1425/

I never cease to be amazed at the ingenious solutions that members come up with to solve our common problems. I had no idea that this "crack" was a near universal issue and would have never thought to look it up here. Once my suspension upgrade is completed and getting the paint buffed out (loads of stone chips), this will be my next to-do. Always something on this TJ to keep me busy!

I just followed the trail on SEM's website, and it looks like the Agate 17233 has been discontinued. I think others have mentioned that 15013 Landau Black is the best option at this point.