Painting door panels with SEM paint

I just did my interior with SEM. I used the sand fever adhesion promotor and it worked really well. I have a 97 with the light grey interior. Wanted to make it darker and add red accents. The sem laid down really well (I did use a spray booth which helped). The grey took 3 coats for perfect coverage. The red took 6-7 for full coverage. I haven’t gotten to the door panels yet, but I used 4 cans on the dash and center console. Make sure you get vinyl prep if you are doing the vinyl wrapped parts too.
The one pic shows the faded light grey against the new dark grey. Drying racks show all the little parts (there are a lot)!

View attachment 149713

View attachment 149714

View attachment 149715

View attachment 149716

I just did my interior with SEM. I used the sand fever adhesion promotor and it worked really well. I have a 97 with the light grey interior. Wanted to make it darker and add red accents. The sem laid down really well (I did use a spray booth which helped). The grey took 3 coats for perfect coverage. The red took 6-7 for full coverage. I haven’t gotten to the door panels yet, but I used 4 cans on the dash and center console. Make sure you get vinyl prep if you are doing the vinyl wrapped parts too.
The one pic shows the faded light grey against the new dark grey. Drying racks show all the little parts (there are a lot)!

View attachment 149713

View attachment 149714

View attachment 149715

View attachment 149716
this is the grey i've been looking for...can you tell me the code for the SEM paint color and where you got it from please?

this is the grey i've been looking for...can you tell me the code for the SEM paint color and where you got it from please?
It’s Graphite 15303. I got it from a local auto paint supplier, but you can also get it from Amazon.

479B173D-B0DD-4276-8273-7855276E9C43.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Thank you so much!!:cool: How do you feel about the paint holding up? Someone suggested to me that Vinyl needed to be dyed...not painted. Have you tried/heard any other applications for the dash/doors?

Thank you so much!!:cool: How do you feel about the paint holding up? Someone suggested to me that Vinyl needed to be dyed...not painted. Have you tried/heard any other applications for the dash/doors?
Not really any problems so far. It's only been several months, and I haven't driven it full time since it got back on the road, but it's holding up pretty well. The only problems so far are two: the passenger seat belt has scratched the paint on the side of the center console since it gets flipped up a lot when my daughter gets in and out, and the second is where I "fixed" the typical cracks in the front of the door panels...I used Bondo and it hasn't held up well. Will probably dig it out and just use caulk to seal it up.

Proper prep is the key. Make sure you use the correct prep stuff. I bought all SEM products to do it, was pricier but the results speak for themselves. The vinyl prep actually "melts" the top layer of vinyl to prepare it for paint.

Reactions: TJTurley
SEM products are the best. Redid my interio with the stuff and it it holding up with no issues. Vinyl pro will mix what you need and how you need it and will ship to your house.

Reactions: TJTurley
Not really any problems so far. It's only been several months, and I haven't driven it full time since it got back on the road, but it's holding up pretty well. The only problems so far are two: the passenger seat belt has scratched the paint on the side of the center console since it gets flipped up a lot when my daughter gets in and out, and the second is where I "fixed" the typical cracks in the front of the door panels...I used Bondo and it hasn't held up well. Will probably dig it out and just use caulk to seal it up.

Proper prep is the key. Make sure you use the correct prep stuff. I bought all SEM products to do it, was pricier but the results speak for themselves. The vinyl prep actually "melts" the top layer of vinyl to prepare it for paint.
Well, door panels are painted but didn't quite hit the mark...I was really hoping the SEM 15303 was the right match but you can see from the pictures its lighter & is more blue then grey.

If anyone has the correct paint color match for 2000 TJ sport, please share!

3F4D128C-8463-419C-88DF-429C6525DC21.jpeg

ABE2E4C9-5BAF-49EE-A324-8DB0DBE56E34.jpeg

9A184F7D-CADE-4B23-A574-EC9302ADFF12.jpeg

Well, door panels are painted but didn't quite hit the mark...I was really hoping the SEM 15303 was the right match but you can see from the pictures its lighter & is more blue then grey.

If anyone has the correct paint color match for 2000 TJ sport, please share!

View attachment 232217

View attachment 232218

View attachment 232219
Find the Chrysler color code for your Jeep and ask the SEM guys to give you the SEM match. If you don’t have a shop near by that can mix it, have the guys at 66Auto Color take care of you. https://www.66autocolor.com/

Here's all my old, faded stuff removed, washed and drying in the sun.
View attachment 112983

SEM Color Coat 15303 Graphite to replace the original light gray parts.
View attachment 112984

SEM Color Coat 15243 Satin Black to replace the original dark charcoal parts.
View attachment 112985

Reinstalling in Jeep. Note: I was not trying to match anything original or factory. I just wanted to revitalize my old faded parts with a new look (but keep it factory-looking if that makes any sense). Also, I did not use any kind of primer nor would I only because I don't think it's necessary for one and second, I don't like the idea of too much paint on top of the plastic. The adhesion promoter is responsible for the paint to adhere to the plastic.
View attachment 112986

Has the paint held up well?

Yes given the typical (normal) wear and tear has held up pretty well. One thing I like about this method is it is always easy to touch things up but so far haven't had to do that yet.