Painting fender flares

Would you suggest the satin or gloss finish? And would you think adhesion promoter is needed?

Definitely go for the Satin finish.
7.jpg
8.jpg

As for smoothing out the damaged area, the kind of plastic used in the flairs is intentionally flexible (i.e. "soft") and that makes it a bit of a challenge to work with for scratch removal. You will want to use do wet sanding because it keeps the plastic as cool and firm as possible so you can get a decent surface finish.
You may also find that a light sanding with 600 grit or higher (again, wet) after a coat or two of paint will do wonders for giving you a smooth finish.

Took the flare to a local paint store yesterday, they were very helpful. Left with a can of SEM trim black and some scuff pads. I'll work on it this weekend. If it turns out looking better than the others, I'll do all 4.

If it’s the factory paint that is on the flares you are much better off not trying to remove it. You won’t find anything in the aftermarket that will adhere to the raw plastic like the factory paint. If it’s in good shape scuff it and shoot it. What color are the scuff pads? If they are red that is probably too heavy a scratch to fill with the 1k SEM. It will shrink and you will see the scratches after some time in the sun. If they are grey they are almost the right scratch. If you can get the grey ones and this will sound silly but use them wet and coat them with a little of comet kitchen cleanser, this will help clean the flares and give you a little more bite for the SEM to stick to. Hope this helps. Also remember several thin light coats are better than one or two heavy coats.

If it’s the factory paint that is on the flares you are much better off not trying to remove it. You won’t find anything in the aftermarket that will adhere to the raw plastic like the factory paint. If it’s in good shape scuff it and shoot it. What color are the scuff pads? If they are red that is probably too heavy a scratch to fill with the 1k SEM. It will shrink and you will see the scratches after some time in the sun. If they are grey they are almost the right scratch. If you can get the grey ones and this will sound silly but use them wet and coat them with a little of comet kitchen cleanser, this will help clean the flares and give you a little more bite for the SEM to stick to. Hope this helps. Also remember several thin light coats are better than one or two heavy coats.

Thank you. I need to paint mine, and I'm going to follow your tips.

These?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MBPTH56/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And, do you recommend adhesion promoter prior to the SEM trim black?

Ancient thread but... how many cans of SEM trim black are needed to do all 4 Rubicon flares? I'm thinking 2 maybe. Scuffing old paint and applying SEM in a different color. Considered gloss black to match the LJ but trim black might be a better look for me. It's not a limo.:p

Ancient thread but... how many cans of SEM trim black are needed to do all 4 Rubicon flares? I'm thinking 2 maybe. Scuffing old paint and applying SEM in a different color. Considered gloss black to match the LJ but trim black might be a better look for me. It's not a limo.:p
Landau black is the correct color. But i used trim black on mine. 3 cans should do it. Depending on how many coats and if your doing inside too.

Reactions: NOTNSUV