Painting powder coated parts

RHanna

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have some fenders and armor that was sold with powder coating and rust is starting to come through. I don't want to get them powder coated again but would like to refresh them. Is it ok to lightly sand everything and paint the whole piece? Would bedliner be a better option? I do rock crawl and hit things like rocks and trees.

I have some fenders and armor that was sold with powder coating and rust is starting to come through. I don't want to get them powder coated again but would like to refresh them. Is it ok to lightly sand everything and paint the whole piece? Would bedliner be a better option? I do rock crawl and hit things like rocks and trees.

I've done that many times — had some rails on a previous Jeep that were powder coated BADLY (flaking off in spots). Eventually sanded them a bit to rough them up, then painted with rustoleum semi gloss black.

Reactions: RHanna
Powder coating is just paint, treat oy like any other paint. Rustoleum satin black works for all my many dings in powder coating and matches it very well.

I was thinking about painting Eastwood rust encapsulator platinum over it all but they said don’t put it over powder coating. I asked in the questions.

Then painting it black