Painting wheel wells (inner fenders)

Dunkut88TJ

Living the Dream
Supporting Member
Random question of the night (tried to search it) how many of you, if any have ever painted these? I was on some Jeep groups and ran across a white TJ that appeared to have their inner wells painted black. Looked pretty sharp, I have considered this, but was curious if many do it. Completely aesthetic modification obviously.

Yes. Tons of paints work for that application ...I like the textured lacquer.

I painted mine with black bedliner. I think It looks so much better.

F49DEE8C-0F83-4C72-BA6E-AC7C5CF6D5CC.jpeg

E677FFB4-8BB4-4E75-8B41-893D546E0CF6.jpeg

Why wouldn’t you do it again?
I used black spray paint. It does wear off, flake off a little bit over time but it has lasted pretty long. Just doesn’t seem worth it.

I’m now more of the mind to use time and energy to keep things nice the way they are supposed to be. So instead of painting the fender wells black, I would probably clean and wax them, and remove and clean up the rubber liners real nice as opposed to spray painting things.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
I used black spray paint. It does wear off, flake off a little bit over time but it has lasted pretty long. Just doesn’t seem worth it.

I’m now more of the mind to use time and energy to keep things nice the way they are supposed to be. So instead of painting the fender wells black, I would probably clean and wax them, and remove and clean up the rubber liners real nice as opposed to spray painting things.
If the factory wasn't lazy, they would already be painted black. You can tell that by the color of the rear wheel liners and the mud skirts up front.

That’s makes sense
If the factory wasn't lazy, they would already be painted black. You can tell that by the color of the rear wheel liners and the mud skirts up front.
yes, I was looking the other day super curious to why they didn’t do the front. Indeed just pure laziness

Looks like I painted it with a brush. It was so long ago that I couldnt remember. Maybe I should paint it again! I’ll be doing new fenders in the spring if all goes to plan.

EB6DAC32-A924-498A-BA81-56B12B5DDD27.jpeg

52CF2477-208C-4359-9EA1-B021E6C84C1F.jpeg

I recently replaced the front fenders on my LJ with stock style knock-offs. I painted them grey same as the Jeep. I sprayed the wheel wells with clear gravel guard before I installed them. I prefer them to be the same colour as the body. I drive mine through the winter so I put the front and rear liners back in.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
I got new fenders, I had them powder coated. They told me I could put undercoating on if I wanted, but first I would need scuff it up so it would stay on. I decided against it.