Parking brake cable loosening up?

You need to work on a few more TJs. The only ones that are ever adjusted correctly are the ones that I have just done or done before. 100% of the rest of them are maladjusted.
I have enough fun working on my own thanks.. I know enough to know my passion for working on my own TJ would be in direct jeopardy if I worked on too many other peoples... You have my upmost respect for running a shop such as you have. I got out of working in the automotive field because I was starting to loose all interest in even maintaining my own.

Reactions: liquidfluidity
I too had a weak parking brake when I got my TJ, I adjusted it IAW the factory service manual (same as Blaine’s instructions) and the handle engaged within an inch or so. Brake pedal was firmer too. And my golf score went down.

Its been years since I've adjusted drum brakes this way - most of them of my acquaintance self adjust in reverse, so thanx to Blaine for the refresher course. I probably should pull at least one of the drums to inspect anyway...

Its been years since I've adjusted drum brakes this way - most of them of my acquaintance self adjust in reverse, so thanx to Blaine for the refresher course. I probably should pull at least one of the drums to inspect anyway...
The TJ drum brakes do have reverse activated self adjusters. The TJs with rear disc brakes have drum in hat rotors and brake shoes for the parking brake. They are not self adjusting.

Reactions: Zorba
I'm guilty of powering through the brakes as well.

Parked my jeep in a puddle maybe 2" deep. I figured the snow holding it in would melt and it would drain out. Instead, the jeep ended up with the tires frozen in 4" of solid ice. Put it in 4Hi and 1st, and I couldn't budge it. So I put it in 4low and 1st, and really had to power through to break the ice. Turns out in my stupidity I also powered through the parking brake...

• Haha
Reactions: qslim and reddvltj
There is absolutely no reason to loosen the park brake cables when adjusting the drum brakes. Unless of course you previously over tightened them thinking that was your problem.

Actually, as the brake shoes wear it creates a larger gap between the shoe and the drum, this accounts for the added park brake lever movement. Backing up with the park brake on does not stretch the cable it just wears the brake lining down no more or less than riding the brakes.

Cable stretch does happen over time, it's the nature of the beast but brake shoe wear is the most common cause of long brake lever travel.

Gotcha. Just to be clear when we're talking about shoe wear in the brake disc hat (8.8 rear end). I'm not driving with the parking brake engaged for miles, more like 20-40 feet. Would the brake shoes really wear down so substantially over such a short distance?

Reactions: reddvltj
Gotcha. Just to be clear when we're talking about shoe wear in the brake disc hat (8.8 rear end). I'm not driving with the parking brake engaged for miles, more like 20-40 feet. Would the brake shoes really wear down so substantially over such a short distance?
Not likely, if you had no issues before this, I would suggest that you pull the rotors off and take a look. Its not inconceivable that one of the cables is the culprit though.

Not likely, if you had no issues before this, I would suggest that you pull the rotors off and take a look. Its not inconceivable that one of the cables is the culprit though.

I had planned on ripping everything apart once the wizard brackets become available again. Figure if I'm going to take it all apart might as well upgrade. Eh mrblaine ?

The TJ drum brakes do have reverse activated self adjusters. The TJs with rear disc brakes have drum in hat rotors and brake shoes for the parking brake. They are not self adjusting.

My apologies for misunderstanding earlier, but now I'm confused. So my 97 has rear drum brakes that are self adjusting - so no adjustment needed - so if my parking brake only engages at the very top, I need to still adjust the drums?

My apologies for misunderstanding earlier, but now I'm confused. So my 97 has rear drum brakes that are self adjusting - so no adjustment needed - so if my parking brake only engages at the very top, I need to still adjust the drums?
The TJ drum brake self adjusters are notorious for not self adjusting. If the parking brake handle sets higher and higher in the stroke, the shoes are wearing and not self adjusting to compensate.