Parking Brake Shoes

cjaama

TJ Enthusiast
I had my coil and spring lift installed on my LJ in the Fall by a trusted shop. Prior to the lift I’m 99% sure my parking brake worked. After the install I noticed it no longer worked, no tension at all.

I crawled under and noticed the cable which was covered in surface gunk/rust was clear for about an inch or two at the back points where it goes into the covered sleeve. I asked the guy who did the lift who said the lift could have stretched the cable, but it’s unlikely on such a small lift (2.5”). I agreed.

I had my Jeep at Midas getting an alignment and asked them to look at the parking brake while it was there. They looked and said the shoes were actually completely missing and were as befuddled as I am.

Anyone have any insight or guesses how this could happen? I’ll admit to being almost completely clueless when it comes to parking brakes. In fact I was confused to even hear “brake shoes” when I knew it had discs in the back.

Also, how difficult is replacement?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think any tj had rear disk brakes.
The rear brakes and hand brake use the same shoes/drum.
You could not remove the brake shoes on drum brakes without losing all braking unless the hydraulic line was blocked off.
1st would be to see if the cable under the jeep looks different when you release and pull the hand brake.
If the cable moves and you feel tension on the handle, then
Jack it up and remove 1 rear wheel and pull the hub. Take a picture and post it here.

Don

I have dana 44 with rear disc and hand brake assembly. But oh boy, it's been a while when I replaced mine.
It is very easy to replace, one is longer than the other... the longer half of the pad is in the front side.
Someone took it off, it will not fall apart by itself.

Reactions: cjaama
I have a 2006 TJ Rubicon and it has the drum emergency brakes inside (they call it a hat drum) and they adjust the same way one does most all drum brakes. The factory manual says NOT to adjust the cable that connects the lever to the brakes as they are set at the factory. Just use the normal adjustment procedures using a brake spoon turning the star adjuster inside until the wheel will no longer turn , then back it off until it rotates freely. Just went through that procedure when my emergency brake lever was not providing enough upward travel to engage the shoes against the drum. Works great now. I suspect someone absconded with your rear brake shoes at some point in the past. Should be an easy fix and you'll learn real fast about the difference between the fronts and rears. I know it caught me off guard when I fixed mine.

I have a 2006 TJ Rubicon and it has the drum emergency brakes inside (they call it a hat drum) and they adjust the same way one does most all drum brakes. The factory manual says NOT to adjust the cable that connects the lever to the brakes as they are set at the factory. Just use the normal adjustment procedures using a brake spoon turning the star adjuster inside until the wheel will no longer turn , then back it off until it rotates freely. Just went through that procedure when my emergency brake lever was not providing enough upward travel to engage the shoes against the drum. Works great now. I suspect someone absconded with your rear brake shoes at some point in the past. Should be an easy fix and you'll learn real fast about the difference between the fronts and rears. I know it caught me off guard when I fixed mine.
Thanks for the advice. I think I should call Midas back and ask them to clarify, whether the shoes were gone as in no longer present or gone as in shot. The guy seemed pretty confused by how it could happen, so I'm assuming he got the message clear from his mechanic, but who knows.
I'm planning on ordering through Advance Auto, since I have a gift card and you can get 20% off. Should I order the hardware with it?
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...kit-h7328/10201702-P?searchTerm=parking+brake

If the shoes are missing or "gone", either way when you replace them, look at the rest of the securing hardware. If it is very rusted/corroded then to be on the safe side. I would recommend their replacement. I mean we are talking about your "emergency brake" here, and when that "emergency" arrives you want to feel safe that the thing is going to do it's job.

E40D9D0F-EC10-445D-9CAF-1128237D0A45.jpeg
9E60273C-02E4-4D88-8C6D-DF89EFBC183C.jpeg
44525449-120A-4F6E-9916-A0AAF9450266.jpeg
I’ve had a pretty catastrophic failure of my emergency brake. These two pieces We’re basically just rolling around inside the drum and making lotta noise. As you can see in the picture one has been bent up and not sure if it’s reusable. Does anyone know where to get a replacement? (I don’t see them in a normal rebuild kit). Or how these should be? Are they supposed to be connected?

Car-part.com will give you local salvage yards and Daveys Jeep can be helpful for this small stuff if you don't mind used. For new parts Rockauto has them, I think DORMAN 926293 is what you want for that?