Part numbers and resources for constant tension hose clamps

Even if someone DID know, it’s best to measure the installed diameter of the hose and buy the appropriate clamp. The size of the clamp indicates its nominal diameter in mm. Takes 2 seconds for you to measure with cheepie caliper gauge. Have your oil change guy measure for you at yoy next Jiffy Lube appoitment

That's pretty funny, I'm my oil change guy. Was hoping someone would know offhand, no reason to get shitty.

That's pretty funny, I'm my oil change guy. Was hoping someone would know offhand, no reason to get shitty.

Who’s being shitty??? You can change your oil but not measure 2 very exposed lines??? And I am being shitty for offering assistance that requires no work with your condition. Also, what if I said a size, you go do it and it’s the wrong size. The best advice would have been to measure.

There is no offhand number, that hose may be 3/8” but that’s the inner diameter, outer diameter is subject to change depending on design of the hose and the outer diameter is the critical figure needed for the clamps. Also, The clamps come in 1mm increments. You are asking for a precise figure that cannot be provided by anyone but your own eyeballs.

On my corvette I used 17mm or 14mm for its 3/8 transmission cooler lines. All I know is I did it wrong the first time and had to reorder.

Has anyone been able to just get the constant tension clamps from NAPA or some other parts place or is it really only an online order thing?
My TJ came with a worm gear clamp on the upper rad hose and I’d like to replace it with a constant tension clamp.

Has anyone been able to just get the constant tension clamps from NAPA or some other parts place or is it really only an online order thing?
My TJ came with a worm gear clamp on the upper rad hose and I’d like to replace it with a constant tension clamp.

I tried and couldn't find them anywhere. A lot of places call them spring band clamps, so you might try those search terms, but when I did see one at a local brick and mortar store it was always in one or two sizes that weren't the ones I needed.

I've seen them at my local Advance Auto Parts stores. I don't know the sizes, just happen to see them hanging when I was walking down the aisle recently.

O’Reillys has Dorman clamps. I had to do the conversion but think this is correct. 42 mm is Dorman 14086. 47 is 14087. 55 is 14088. 24 is 14083 and 27 is 14183. When I get them installed I’ll reply on here how it went. If someone looks this up and figures out I don’t know what I’m talking about please reply.

O’Reillys has Dorman clamps. I had to do the conversion but think this is correct. 42 mm is Dorman 14086. 47 is 14087. 55 is 14088. 24 is 14083 and 27 is 14183. When I get them installed I’ll reply on here how it went. If someone looks this up and figures out I don’t know what I’m talking about please reply.

Seems reasonable enough to me.

One note I would add to the thread in general....don't try to fudge the size even by 1mm due to one being more easily available. Somehow I ordered 47s and ended up with 46s without noticing until 2 years after buying them when I finally went to install. I eventually got them on but it was a royal PITA.

Reactions: MountaineerTom

One note I would add to the thread in general....don't try to fudge the size even by 1mm due to one being more easily available. Somehow I ordered 47s and ended up with 46s without noticing until 2 years after buying them when I finally went to install. I eventually got them on but it was a royal PITA.

The thing I’m not sure about is those clamps seem to have a fairly broad range.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low

That’s not really true, they have a specified range, the number on the tab of the clamp states the clamps nominal diameter. The larger clamps have a pretty wide range. I measured my installed diameter of the hose and measured the appropriate clamps. I think it’s 42, 42, 47 and 58. Coincidentally my old corvette used the same sizes, also uses the same thermostat. Life’s happy little coincidences …

Intersting, I called local O'Reillys a year or so ago and they didn't carry them. They guy knew what I was talking about so I feel like it was not a mistake.

Intersting, I called local O'Reillys a year or so ago and they didn't carry them. They guy knew what I was talking about so I feel like it was not a mistake.

I ordered them from their website for next day delivery to store. I think it’s non stock in the store. I’m pretty sure I didn’t find them before. BTW this for a 2001 TJ.

That’s not really true, they have a specified range, the number on the tab of the clamp states the clamps nominal diameter. The larger clamps have a pretty wide range. I measured my installed diameter of the hose and measured the appropriate clamps. I think it’s 42, 42, 47 and 58. Coincidentally my old corvette used the same sizes, also uses the same thermostat. Life’s happy little coincidences …

You're welcome to try it. the little extra tab that keeps the clamp from opening too far was bottomed out with the clamp stretched just big enough to fit over the hose, before the hose was installed. Once the hose was on it took a good 10 minutes of elbow grease to get it on, and it would only go on from the end after installation, there was zero chance of it fitting over the enlarged ring on the radiator tube.

This was with new Gates hoses in 100 degree weather immediately after a coolant swap, so the hose was probably swollen, but I will definitely be buying 47s before I have to take that hose off again.

Reactions: PRNDL

Should be super easy to get if those are correct.
How did you go about the conversion?
Also do you actually have the clamps already and are they marked with the correct numbers?

Should be super easy to get if those are correct.
How did you go about the conversion?
Also do you actually have the clamps already and are they marked with the correct numbers?

I cheated. I looked at a conversion chart on the internet. I don’t have them yet. Should be able to pick them up later today. I have to replace radiator, shouldn’t take too long.

Reactions: James9100
I picked up the clamps today and wanted to run this by you. One of the hoses is a Gates 22900. On O’Reillys site it’s listed at 1 13/16 ID on one end. With a caliper it’s approx. 2 1/4 OD. Clamp 14088 specs 2-2.25 inches ID. Clamp 14087 is 1 3/4 - 2 inches. Would you go with the smaller clamp? That’s what I’m thinking since the larger one would be at the max outer range. Or the larger one?

I picked up the clamps today and wanted to run this by you. One of the hoses is a Gates 22900. On O’Reillys site it’s listed at 1 13/16 ID on one end. With a caliper it’s approx. 2 1/4 OD. Clamp 14088 specs 2-2.25 inches ID. Clamp 14087 is 1 3/4 - 2 inches. Would you go with the smaller clamp? That’s what I’m thinking since the larger one would be at the max outer range. Or the larger one?

Do the Dorman clamps have the number stamped on them like the OE clamps shown in the original post do? I’d go with whatever matches that.

Do the Dorman clamps have the number stamped on them like the OE clamps shown in the original post do? I’d go with whatever matches that.

I think they all have the same stamp “MUXX” XX being the size/number , the company name is Mubea, which is what I am guessing the MU stands for.