Passenger fender light not lighting up - need help

KCNoDots

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all,

The situation:
My passenger orange fender light is not lighting up when I turn them on.
Whether my lights are on or off, my right blinker blinks fast.
When I do turn my lights on, then the right turn green arrow on my dash stays on.

-The fuse for markers and blinkers are good
-I tried new 194LL bulb and still will not illuminate, cross checked with driver side and all bulbs are good
-all 3 other orange blinker lights illuminate as they should, only passenger fender light is not working
-driver side 2 orange turn lights operate as they should

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

02 TJ Sport

Do both the running lights and turn signals work properly on the front bulbs? Turn the parking lights on and see which bulbs illuminate. With the parking lights and hazards on the front bulbs should alternate between low and high brightness. The fender flare bulbs simply turn on and off. The fender flare sidemarkers ground through the front bulb filaments so if one of the filaments is bad in that bulb the sidemarker won’t work right.
The sidemarker only has one filament. The front bulbs have 2. One is for the running lights; the other is for turn signals and hazards.

The sockets can also go bad. I had to order new sockets for my front bulbs because they became corroded.

Do both the running lights and turn signals work properly on the front bulbs? Turn the parking lights on and see which bulbs illuminate. With the parking lights and hazards on the front bulbs should alternate between low and high brightness. The fender flare bulbs simply turn on and off. The fender flare sidemarkers ground through the front bulb filaments so if one of the filaments is bad in that bulb the sidemarker won’t work right.
The sidemarker only has one filament. The front bulbs have 2. One is for the running lights; the other is for turn signals and hazards.

The sockets can also go bad. I had to order new sockets for my front bulbs because they became corroded.
I just went and tested what you said. Thank you

When I put the hazards on, the front passenger light was not changing from bright to dim, it just stayed dim.

So I swapped the sockets from driver side to passenger side for the front orange light.
After swapping I got the same results. So I figured the issue must be with the plug itself. So I then put a half a drop of wd40 on each of the 3 metal prongs inside of the plug that goes into the socket for the passenger side, reconnected everything, and then all the lights began to operate normally again.

Maybe I need to get some dielectric grease to put on the plug so it can get a good connection to the socket.
Unless my wd40 will hold up just fine for this application, we will see, but as for now it is working normally again.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I just went and tested what you said. Thank you

When I put the hazards on, the front passenger light was not changing from bright to dim, it just stayed dim.

So I swapped the sockets from driver side to passenger side for the front orange light.
After swapping I got the same results. So I figured the issue must be with the plug itself. So I then put a half a drop of wd40 on each of the 3 metal prongs inside of the plug that goes into the socket for the passenger side, reconnected everything, and then all the lights began to operate normally again.

Maybe I need to get some dielectric grease to put on the plug so it can get a good connection to the socket.
Unless my wd40 will hold up just fine for this application, we will see, but as for now it is working normally again.
You can get the sockets for $6 or so on RockAuto for the front turn signal
Screenshot_20190813-172858_Chrome.jpg

Sidemarkers are a bit more...
Screenshot_20190813-173031_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: KCNoDots
Also, dielectric grease is an insulator. You don't want it on the contacts. However you should use it on the plastic connector seal, as it seals out water from rain, road spray, or immersion, all of which will corrode the connections if the plug isn't sealed

Reactions: KCNoDots