Passenger footwell water leak after heavy rain?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
SO it rained hard here for a couple days. Went out afterward to find about a quarter inch of standing water on the carpet in the passenger footwell. No obvious signs of leakage from the soft top. I've driven many times in heavy rain. And not spotted any leaks. Wondering if it's coming thru from under/around the glovebox area. Is there a common leak from there in the hood cowling/vent area?

First time this has ever happened. And my Jeep has sat in heavy rain on multiple occasions.

Remove your cowl and check the drain for debris blockage.

SO it rained hard here for a couple days. Went out afterward to find about a quarter inch of standing water on the carpet in the passenger footwell. No obvious signs of leakage from the soft top. I've driven many times in heavy rain. And not spotted any leaks. Wondering if it's coming thru from under/around the glovebox area. Is there a common leak from there in the hood cowling/vent area?

First time this has ever happened. And my Jeep has sat in heavy rain on multiple occasions.
Happens all the time to me.. Just sitting there not moving.. just this week in a heavy rain.

And in my case it is not a dirty cowl intake.. I found the lower windshield gasket right in middle of passenger side leaks and made a vid of it.. but I assume that's when I am driving with the wind pushing it and not sitting but I never checked it cause I never go sit in it when it rains...

Reactions: Daryl
Mine sits under a tree with small leaves. And lord knows where the last 20 yrs before I bought it.

I do need to get my windshield replaced. Just unsure if insurance will do it or if they will up my premium over it.

Happens all the time to me.. Just sitting there not moving.. just this week in a heavy rain.

And in my case it is not a dirty cowl intake.. I found the lower windshield gasket right in middle of passenger side leaks and made a vid of it.. but I assume that's when I am driving with the wind pushing it and not sitting but I never checked it cause I never go sit in it when it rains...

You could replicate rain..with a garden hose.

After cleaning the cowl and still getting a leak I ended up lowering the windshield frame and running a big fat bead of Silicone along the windshield frame to cowl weatherstrip gasket. Cured it. I don't drop the windshield so it didn't matter to me to seal that up.

Reactions: Tomcat and Daryl
I can speak from experience, the cowl is your most likely culprit, Take off the cowl and look straight down in the center and get all that crud out of there. Replace the cowl and wipers and you are done.

Leinhit, your windshield has most likely been replaced already. If you had it done, most shops will fix a leak under warranty. I do auto glass and can say from experience that TJ (and YJ) windshields are notoriously tough to get right. The inner ring molding does not leave much room to run a proper bead and the outer reveal molding usually catches most of the glue. The problem is that windshield urethane does not adhere to rubber or plastic and therefore lets water in. A competent auto glass shop should be able to take care of you .

After cleaning the cowl and still getting a leak I ended up lowering the windshield frame and running a big fat bead of Silicone along the windshield frame to cowl weatherstrip gasket. Cured it. I don't drop the windshield so it didn't matter to me to seal that up.
I'm planning the same.. didn't know if I could do it from the outside and run a bead down the length of it.