Patriotism.

Travis

TJ Enthusiast
So over the weekend, a neighbor who lives across the street came over here. She is a little old lady, if I had to guess I'd say around 70-75 years old. I assumed she was coming over to say hello, as we are fairly new to the neihgborhood. This was most certainly not the case. Since I have moved in, I have had a reverse American flag hanging in the garage. This flag is for my personal remembrence of comrades I have lost in wars defending this great Country. I also fly this flag in this manner to support the brave men and women in our Armed Forces who are still fighting. She proceeded the tell me that the American flag always has the stars field on the left, no if ands or buts. I then tried to explain to her that I am a 10 year US Army veteran, and that I know the flag code. I even showed her a United States Army reverse flag shoulder patch that I had in my Jeep. She was having none of what I was saying, and said "I will have to check with my Marine grandson". She also quoted "You are going to have to take the down, because I am sick of looking at it". I told her that I properly present the American flag on the tree outside, but by that time she was already walking back home muttering to herself. I was taken aback by this conversation and have been thinking about what to do. The flag in question was just a regular 3'x5'.
20160625_203134.jpg

So I decided today that I will give her something real to look at. I hope her viewing pleasure is satisfied with this..

20160627_143139.jpg

Last edited:
Travis, you may fly the flag any bloody way you feel the need to. Though you don't need my, or anyone else's permission to do so. Hell, you can burn it in the public square as a protest, if you want. You have a reason to fly YOUR flag the way you do. Good for you. Lots of people have sacrificed for hundreds of years to maintain your right to fly that flag as you see fit. Carry on. Thank you for YOUR sacrifice and service.

She sounds like one of those crabby people who like to find ANYTHING to complain about. I've run into these types before, and I just keep on doing it to piss then off.

You can fly that thing any damn way you want, especially being a veteran.

Reactions: Travis
I spent 39 years in uniform defending your right to display the flag incorrectly.

Think about this lady a bit! She lived through some REALLY tough times. Think recovering from the depression, and THEN WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, and all the Central/South American conflicts or to count the bullshit in the far and Mid East. Chances are she has lost some people very special to her. Give the lady a break! There is a (sad) story behind her sorrow!

Remember the flag meant something in years past! Unfortunatly the message has been lost!

Last edited:
Did some research, share this with your neighbour. it definitely fits with your purpose...

"my personal remembrence of comrades I have lost in wars defending this great Country"

Out of respect for the U.S. flag, never:
display it with the union down, except as a signal of distress.

Reactions: Travis
Did some research, share this with your neighbour. it definitely fits with your purpose...

"my personal remembrence of comrades I have lost in wars defending this great Country"

Out of respect for the U.S. flag, never:
display it with the union down, except as a signal of distress.
I would share that with her, but I doubt she will ever speak another word to me.

Reactions: Chris
I spent 39 years in uniform defending your right to display the flag incorrectly.

Think about this lady a bit! She lived through some REALLY tough times. Think recovering from the depression, and THEN WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, and all the Central/South American conflicts or to count the bullshit in the far and Mid East. Chances are she has lost some people very special to her. Give the lady a break! There is a (sad) story behind her sorrow!

Remember the flag meant something in years past! Unfortunatly the message has been lost!

There are a select group of Americans that still hold the Stars and Stripes in high regard. I do however believe that the younger generation has lost touch of what it actually stands for. As for me, I do my due dilligence to remind people that men and women died for these freedoms we have today. I took an Oath, to defend this country, and that Oath will he upheld, even after my service time has ended. Thank You for you honorable service Frank, it is greatly appreciated by me.

Reactions: Stinger
I'm thinking this old bird might understand the significance of an upside down flag as a symbol of distress... sort of how you want to honour your fellow fallen soldiers. Why not hang your flag upside down instead of backwards. Who knows the old bird might come across the road with a smile tomorrow.... sounds like she has tremendous respect for the flag, soldiers and traditions.

I have to be honest, I've never seen a flag displayed this way, and it would confuse me as well. Not having served, and not knowing what it meant, it would have concerned me. Is this common?

Good on ya for supporting and the remembering those that have served, and still do. Thank you guys for your service!!!!

I will remember this from now on.

A reversed flag is only worn on the right shoulder of a soldier or marine, or what you'd see when looking at a US warship from the starboard side. Like on soldier's right shoulder or on the starboard side of ships, the stars are on the right-side which indicates the solder/ship is advancing forward into battle. On the left arm/port side, the stars are on the left side of the flag indicating the same thing, advancing forward.

So whatever side the flag is on, the stars will be on the side so it appears the flag is flying in the breeze as the flag is carried forward.

For a static display like Travis has on his wall, the official American flag etiquette guide I have and taught my Boy Scouts from says this...

"When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street"

When I taught flag etiquette, I always used the above as my guide... that the stars belong on the left for a flag on a static wall display.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott B. and Ron505
This is actually the first time I've seen anyone display the flag in that manner, aside from the uniform patches.

If I were in this situation I would just flip the flag over. I would still have my flag (the meaning does not change) you earn respect points with the neighbor.

It's your house though. Your house, your rules.

Last edited:
I am having a Patriotism debate in my mind. Based on what I have read, and what I have read from you guys here. I am thinking about displaying the flag in the traditional manner. I think I have proved my point to my neighbor, and it is time. I liked how it looked for a little while, now I definitely think it needs fixed. Personally, I think it looks gaudy being that big & reversed. I will still display my reversed flag, only this time in my den. Thanks for all of the input guys.

I honestly get why you'd want to hang it in reverse, but I think flags should always be hung the way they we intended.

I've never served, but have a lot of friends that have. Some will never be the person I knew, and will probably be pretty messed up for life :(.

I thank all the men and women that have served for my and other countries. Without you brave folks, who knows what type of world we'd be living in.

Thank you for all the sacrifices you make so we can continue to live the lives we know.