Pbr's 2000 TJ Sport

pbr_rob

I purchased a 2000 TJ last year and have been slowly working on all of the cosmetic stuff first. Hard top, no A/C.

Here's how it looked when I bought it.

I got a Trektop for the summer right after I got the TJ. You guys helped me get the header figured out and on the first time:

This week I worked on the fender flares and put a deck cover on. The deck cover is from bestop too and took a little toying with to get to work with the Trektop. But, came out fine. Super tight the first time on, I've since taken it back off to remove the back seat and it's fitment is much better than this pic now.

I used Wipe New on the fenders by recommendation of this forum. That worked "pretty OK". I may try another bottle of the stuff to help darken what I did. Either way, looks a lot better than those ghosted fenders before.

The seats were ratty and torn. I put on Bartact seat covers--they're great!

Did a tune up in the spring and that really got it running better.

To do:
  • I need to paint the door handles and bumpers.
  • Debating on wheels. I really love the look of the M/T Classics in black, just hate the price. My spare isn't the same 31" size, either.
  • Looking for flat end caps for the bumpers. I took the milk jug looking ones off and like the flat look.
  • Also looking for a receiver and bike rack. There are a ton of camps and parks in my area and we want to use the Jeep for weekend trips.
  • Head lights are weak. Need something strong and reasonably priced.
  • Doesn't have clips or a switch for the interior light, so I have to keep the doors on for now.

Nice jeep! Pull the fuse for the dome light. I believe it’s behind the glove box on your year. It’s a 10 amp red fuse in the #10 spot I believe. Sounds like you have a plan for the summer fun!

Perfect weather in the south for it now man ...good job

Looks great! The deck cover looks good too. I want one, but the one I found that fits my needs, is not made for the TJ. LOL Go figure. :D

Looks great! The deck cover looks good too. I want one, but the one I found that fits my needs, is not made for the TJ. LOL Go figure. :D

The deck cover is great. I really enjoy the combo of the top and cover.

Mine is a Bestop Duster, they were on sale for memorial day--got it half off, which was the most I was willing to pay for it anyway.

I just finished wiring in a switch for my interior dome light. Thanks for pointing out the fuse, Quigley!

I got some bumper caps to replace the milk jugs and am searching for something to paint the bumpers. Either bed liner or a flat black rattle can. If anyone has suggestions or pictures, I'd love it hear/see it.

I'm still looking for a decently priced receiver and bike rack to carry two bikes. Then it's back to looking for wheels.

Found a receiver after digging through old threads here. Curt 13408 Class III 2".

Easy install, once you get the bolts off the frame--I thought I would have to use an extractor but ended up hammering them out of a rigid power wrench and some wd40. Got it on, going to check back in a couple of days and reset the torque.

Still looking for a decent bike rack.

Back at it, trying to get ready for warm weather.

Found a factory stereo from a Grand Cherokee and swapped that out. It has a CD player and tape deck both to replace the tape deck in mine. Works like a champ, was an easy swap, and has brought the factory speakers in my TJ to life. Night and day difference. I'll probably ebay or FB marketplace the old deck after I'm confident the new one will hold up.

Radio1.pngRadio2.png

Debating on adding A/C, but it seems a lot of work based on what little research I've done so far. TN is damn hot in the summer, though.

Thanks to everyone on the cooling system thread. Found the mopar radiator I needed at rock auto. Theromstat was bad, so I replaced that as well today.

Here's the POS the prior owner installed:
dead-radiator.jpg

And here's everything back together:
back-together.jpg

Had to run to the hardware store for bolts--prior owner managed to really mangle this up. Got everything back to metric from drilled-out freedom units.