PC1P's 1998 Jeep TJ Build - "Ophelia"

Squirrel!

😀

just kidding PC. But that did come out of left field. Nice score on the LJ. Crazy the one guy wanted $19,500. I bought my ‘04 LJ new off the dealer lot for $20,700 - tax & title included! Can’t say they haven’t held their value, I guess.
Yeah seriously!! To be fair, the thought to move back to the east coast also came out of left field, so I'm just trying to deal with all that lol...

And it is amazing at how much these have held their value - $20,700 in 2005 dollars is ~$28,000 in 2021 dollars, so seeing low-mile LJ's sell for $16-18,000 is remarkable - less than $500 in depreciation per year!

If you read @starkey480 build thread recently, you may have noticed that there are some changes coming to my build. As I've noted a few times, we have been trying to move up north to Flagstaff for some time now, We miss the seasons and would like to be in an area that the kids can actually go outside in the summer. We have felt for a while now that we are living a "backwards" life - where we are stuck indoors all summer and have to do everything during the winter (while also doing things like sports, activities, school, etc). It's just not conducive to a healthy, balanced life in our opinion and have wanted to change

Unfortunately, the Flagstaff housing market has exploded over the past 2 years, thanks in part to retiring or relocating Californians and Asian investors. A modest 1800-2100 sq-ft home with a 1/3 acre plot is listing for $550-575k and are selling for $625-650k and even at this price point, the houses are often dated and in need of at least some remodel.

Here's one of the houses we put an offer on:
View attachment 237444

It was cute - though a bit on the small side at 1680 sq-ft. It had a good sized yard and plenty of room to build a shop in the back/side yard. It was also in a great, quiet neighborhood with a good school nearby. It needed some upgrades and remodeling, as evidenced by the pink tile bathroom sink and carpet...

View attachment 237445

It was originally listed at $475K, which would have been great as this would have left us with some cash on hand to do some significant remodeling rather quickly. We put in what we thought would have been a competitive offer ($485k, with a shortened inspection window since we could go view and hire an inspector quickly). The house ended up closing in 10 days, with two cash offers after 3 days, with the top offer of $530k... 🤦‍♂️ The other two houses we considered ended up going for $75,000 and $80,000 over asking price and also closed (not contracted, actually closed!) in ~20 days.

After doing some soul searching and thinking about it some, we have decided that we are going to move back to northeast PA. I have a lot of friends that are still back there, including my best friend and college roommate. Housing is way cheaper, career opportunity is higher (Flagstaff was always "high risk" in that regard), there are seasons and plenty of good schools in the area, and we have a lot of nostalgia for the region. Plus, NYC (my birth town) is only 2 hours away - we can have our country home and city-getaway in close proximity.

So, what does this mean for the build? Well, PA needs fenders and probably won't really benefit from the Savvy MidArm kit. As a result, I sold Starkey my brand-new GenRight Boulders and will be going back to the GenRight 4" aluminum fenders (non Hi-Fender, since it's not really needed now). There will be some risk, since even with the 4" front fenders and 4" rear "Extreme" flares, the 35" x 12.5" tires will stick out ever so slightly (PA law actually says the tread must be covered, though it's often misinterpreted by local cops). This won't be a daily, just a nice weather toy, so hopefully no one bothers me too much :)

For the rest of the build, nothing really changes. The stretch will still make it fine for longer climbs up rutted forest roads and wood trails, and the Hemi will still be awesome. What it really means is that I need to get moving at the speed of light now to get this completed by the end of May. This means paint, body, motor and everything completed so that I can use June to shake down and beta test and then ultimately move in July.

Speaking of which, time to get moving - this bumper ain't gonna mount itself... :)
*edit* Sorry for the rant that was not Jeep related but it sucks watching this state get overrun with greed while pushing the good people out.

This makes me so mad to hear. The middle class his been getting screwed here ever since air bnb became a thing, so good, hard working people are leaving the state. People think it’s just Sedona but honestly it’s Phoenix and everything north of it. Have a realtor friend in the valley that says entire developments are sold out before they even break ground.

I make good money but I can’t compete with these people making 50-80k above-asking cash offers on homes. Lady in our church listed her house for sale for 750k. Sold in a few days for $850 to some lady in, you guessed it, California.

Only hope I have is an economic collapse, for which I have plenty of cash saved. With all of the investment properties and second homes here, you’ll probably be able to score a nice home for .20 on the dollar as these properties go back to the bank and up for foreclosure. No one will be moving here then because their homes will be worthless too.

With the way the current GOP has been printing money, it won’t be long.

*edit* Sorry for the rant that was not Jeep related but it sucks watching this state get overrun with greed while pushing the good people out.

This makes me so mad to hear. The middle class his been getting screwed here ever since air bnb became a thing, so good, hard working people are leaving the state. People think it’s just Sedona but honestly it’s Phoenix and everything north of it. Have a realtor friend in the valley that says entire developments are sold out before they even break ground.

I make good money but I can’t compete with these people making 50-80k above-asking cash offers on homes. Lady in our church listed her house for sale for 750k. Sold in a few days for $850 to some lady in, you guessed it, California.

Only hope I have is an economic collapse, for which I have plenty of cash saved. With all of the investment properties and second homes here, you’ll probably be able to score a nice home for .20 on the dollar as these properties go back to the bank and up for foreclosure. No one will be moving here then because their homes will be worthless too.

With the way the current GOP has been printing money, it won’t be long.
Yeah, the housing market is just nuts, even here in PA. I've been looking for a new house with an acre of land here in York and you can't touch it for less than $350K unless the house needs completely remodeled. Most decent houses are selling for 20-50K over asking with no inspections and fast closing and are sold within a day or two of coming to market.

I just got married a month ago and we are now looking to relocate to a small mountain town 3.5 hours north, where my wife is from because cost of living is so low. Only issue is the town has no jobs. Even the housing market up there is seeing a small spike from outsiders buy houses as vacation homes. One place we were looking at was a cabin style house with 3 acres. Seller want 300K, actual value for up there was probably around 125K to 140K at most. It was on the market for 8 months and finally sold to some out of towners for 260K. People are gonna loose their ass when they go to sell. Most properties up there sell between 75K to 200K.

Reactions: Jamison C and pc1p

Same here - even though I could make a good offer and get into something in Flagstaff, I don't work as hard as I do to simply drop almost $100,000 on top of the $550-600,000 just to get into a house (particularly one that still needs work and only has 1/3-1/2 acre!).

It's a sad state really that even what used to be "affordable" vacation/weekend homes in the White Mountains (one of my favorite places in the state) is skyrocketing now too. You used to be able, even just a few years ago, get into a nice lakeside cottage at some of the smaller lakes (like White Mountain) in the area. They'd be 2-3 BR/1-2BA with about 1400-1500 sq ft and an attached garage for ~$80k. Now they are $300k+... My landscaper's brother-in-law does construction up there and he said the same as you are hearing - the houses and developments are sold out completely even before ground gets broken.

From what I'm hearing, the # of investment homes remains fairly low - at least in the Flagstaff area. There is some flipping going on, but with the cost of raw materials and supplies being what it is, it isn't rampant. I can't speak to Sedona area, but this is based on our realtor up there as well as another friend who does real estate and works with many colleagues in that area.

Yeah, the housing market is just nuts, even here in PA. I've been looking for a new house with an acre of land here in York and you can't touch it for less than $350K unless the house needs completely remodeled. Most decent houses are selling for 20-50K over asking with no inspections and fast closing and are sold within a day or two of coming to market.

I just got married a month ago and we are now looking to relocate to a small mountain town 3.5 hours north, where my wife is from because cost of living is so low. Only issue is the town has no jobs. Even the housing market up there is seeing a small spike from outsiders buy houses as vacation homes. One place we were looking at was a cabin style house with 3 acres. Seller want 300K, actual value for up there was probably around 125K to 140K at most. It was on the market for 8 months and finally sold to some out of towners for 260K. People are gonna loose their ass when they go to sell. Most properties up there sell between 75K to 200K.
As we have started our look at places in PA, it has been affected too, though at least the northeast portion of the state seems to be far less affected than the far-eastern portions (like the Poconos). Move-in ready homes sell for $$$$ and the closer you are to NYC the greater the likelihood of having to compete with ex-NYers.

We are having our realtor back in PA check on this one this Friday: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/140-Black-Bear-Rd-Lake-Ariel-PA-18436/2118006392_zpid/ He says this would be about $40k less just 2 years ago but it's still decent and has room for a large detached garage/casita or shop.

I have been eyeing up some "fixer uppers" as well. The market actually seems DOWN on them in most cases, as the majority of home buyers now are trying to get move-in ready places. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the "colonial revival" homes (aka big ass rectangles) and the family loves the tiered farmhouse and Victorian-style homes from the 20's to the 40's (after which, colonial basically took over across the northeast).

This one popped up just the other day and we are going to take a "look" (via Facetime) of it later today: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/86-Main-St-Peckville-PA-18452/2071556806_zpid/

It needs a good cleaning and some repairs (plus a shit ton of paint and flooring!), but have been told it's a solid house on the inside. It's weird to find a house that everyone in the family likes, especially one that I can likely pick up for under list-price. The super weird thing is I actually remember this house from my tween-age days. I used to fish in the river across the street and thought it looked like a doll house a bit (the trees weren't as big or even there back in the mid 90's) that didn't really match any of the surrounding homes.

It's currently at $170k, likely will sell for $145-155k - which would leave us with enough cash on hand to do any major repairs needed, remodel the kitchen and bathrooms, refinish the hardwood, replace tile, etc. all within the first few months. The goal is to get a place to live for a while and let the kids finish high school (to which this does have a great school) and buy/build a lakeside home in the meantime.

Reactions: Jamison C
As we have started our look at places in PA, it has been affected too, though at least the northeast portion of the state seems to be far less affected than the far-eastern portions (like the Poconos). Move-in ready homes sell for $$$$ and the closer you are to NYC the greater the likelihood of having to compete with ex-NYers.

We are having our realtor back in PA check on this one this Friday: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/140-Black-Bear-Rd-Lake-Ariel-PA-18436/2118006392_zpid/ He says this would be about $40k less just 2 years ago but it's still decent and has room for a large detached garage/casita or shop.

I have been eyeing up some "fixer uppers" as well. The market actually seems DOWN on them in most cases, as the majority of home buyers now are trying to get move-in ready places. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the "colonial revival" homes (aka big ass rectangles) and the family loves the tiered farmhouse and Victorian-style homes from the 20's to the 40's (after which, colonial basically took over across the northeast).

This one popped up just the other day and we are going to take a "look" (via Facetime) of it later today: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/86-Main-St-Peckville-PA-18452/2071556806_zpid/

It needs a good cleaning and some repairs (plus a shit ton of paint and flooring!), but have been told it's a solid house on the inside. It's weird to find a house that everyone in the family likes, especially one that I can likely pick up for under list-price. The super weird thing is I actually remember this house from my tween-age days. I used to fish in the river across the street and thought it looked like a doll house a bit (the trees weren't as big or even there back in the mid 90's) that didn't really match any of the surrounding homes.

It's currently at $170k, likely will sell for $145-155k - which would leave us with enough cash on hand to do any major repairs needed, remodel the kitchen and bathrooms, refinish the hardwood, replace tile, etc. all within the first few months. The goal is to get a place to live for a while and let the kids finish high school (to which this does have a great school) and buy/build a lakeside home in the meantime.
Most of what we are looking at up in northern PA are fixer uppers as well. Almost all of the homes for sale have been on the market for the last 6 months or longer. That's what we are struggling with. There's no options to even buy currently. There is one place that interests me but they are asking double what it's worth and looks like it came straight out of the 1970's. Our reason for want to move up there is to have a lower cost of living. If we were to stay down this way our budget is around $350K, and that wont buy us much now. Our budget for the mountains is $200K and that should get us a couple acres with a decent house.

Reactions: Jamison C and pc1p