pc1p

I do all my own stunts
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
2006 Jeep LJ "Brünhilde"

twl_1458-jpg.jpg

[As of 1/18/22]

Background

In a very short amount of time, my Jeep needs shifted greatly. While I originally got my 98 TJ ("Ophelia") for my daughter, it quickly became my primary rock crawling rig, going from mild to somewhat wild in a short order. Although I made a lot of progress on the 5.7L Hemi swap and 5” frame stretch, we (our family) decided to relocate back to the east coast. Since “de-rock crawling” a rig isn't usually a smart move, particularly since PA is notoriously difficult and strict about tire coverage, light laws, etc. I figured it was smarter to hit the reset button.

I didn't want to bring both a full-sized rig (my RamCharger) and a SWB rig (the TJ), so the best plan of action I could think of was to get rid of the TJ and try to find something in the middle and an LJ quickly came to mind. Admittedly, I've always wanted one but the thought of getting one just to beat on in the AZ rocks was not something I ever considered. With this move to Pennsylvania, it opened up the possibility. I began my search, though I almost gave up in short order since after >3 weeks of searching I had nothing but bad luck and a single test drive. Thankfully, the Jeep Gods were on my side and I found this low mile (69K), 6-speed for a killer deal ($14,800 for those curious) and it will perfectly suite my needs going forward.

Build Philosophy: "Multi-Purpose"
The build philosophy for the LJ will match that of the TJ in that it will be a balanced build, but the LJ will need to be more multi-purpose and multi-season. The TJ was always more of a toy and rock rig; the LJ on the other hand will be my daily driver (we will still use the Grand Cherokee for family outings), my fishing/hunting rig, my wheeling/trail rig, and what I will have to take to the airport when we get back to traveling for work (post COVID stuff). I'm not sure what this all means yet honestly, as 16 years in the desert has made me forget a lot of subtle things about 4-season vehicle requirements.

What's up with the name?
Why the name " Brünhilde"? In the Germanic tale Nibelungenlied, she is introduced as the Queen of Îsland (Iceland). My memories of PA involve a lot of ice and snow, so I thought the name to be fitting 😊

Major Mods
- Axles: D30HP front, Dana 44 rear, ECGS CM front shafts, Ten Factory rear shafts, 5.13 gears, Eaton E-Lockers, BMB Rear Caliper Flip Kit, Currie LCA skids
- Audio: Alpine ILX-W650 receiver, Alpine KTP-445U micro-amp, Kicker CS 5.25" speakers front and rear, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Powered 8" Subwoofer
- Body & Armor: UCF 1/4" aluminum extra-high belly skid, UCF 1/4" aluminum engine skid, Savvy GTS, 1" ES body lift, MORryde tire carrier, Rugged Ridge 6" pocket flares
- Bumpers: Dave's Customs Unlimited front bumper, Dirtworx rear hitch bumper, Poison Spyder Frame Tie-Ins
- Communications: Cobra 75 WX ST CB, 4' Firestick
- Engine/Driveline/Trans: JB Conversions SYE, 6-pinion planetary, 1.25" NP231D chain, Adam's Driveshafts 1310CV-series (front and rear), CenterForce High Inertia flywheel, LuK ProGold clutch, QT/Magnaflow Competition Cat Back Stainless Exhaust, WranglerFix PCM
- Interior: BedRug carpet, Bartact seat covers, Siless 50-mil butyl deadener, Siless 300-mil foam deadener under floorboards
- Lighting: Savvy rear tail lights, Truck-Lite heated LED headlamps, Rigid D-series DOT LED Fog lights, Hella 140 driving lights (amber)
- Suspension & Steering: 4" ProComp springs, Rubicon Express "SuperFlex" control arms, RockJock rear trackbar, RockJock Currectlync steering, PSC XD Big Bore, PSC 6"x1.5" hydro-assist, BMB Dana 30 hydro-assist bracket kit
- Wheels & Tires: 35" x 12.5" R15 Goodyear MT/Rs, 15" x 8" ProComp Series 69 Alloys

Modifications planned or underway
- Repaint hardtop
- GenRight High-Clearance Body Mounts (on hand)
- Savvy Sliders (ordered!)
- Savvy Corner Armor
- Savvy Mid-Arm Kit
- Some sort of low-profile roof rack
- Outboard shocks (I still have the Poly mounts in the box - might as well put those to use)

Longer-term plans - 2+ years out (in no particular order)
- Hemi swap (maybe even do something a bit hotter than the last one!)

R.O.U.S (References Obliterating Unnecessary Scrolling)
- PSC install on Dana 30: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-ophelia-hemi-swap-underway.42820/post-715634
- How to stop your 4.0L from sounding like a tractor: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/gen-iii-hemi-swap-into-tj—reference-guide-swap-info.46347/
- Rear spring perch (upper) relocation: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/pc1ps-1998-jeep-tj-build-ophelia.42820/post-715437

Last edited:
There's a full list of stuff to address in the short term while I get some parts ordered (and get the TJ parted out and out of the garage!). I will be pulling the stickers off everything (seriously, wtf people???), burning the Angry Grille in a ceremonious fashion, and getting some floor plugs installed before my b@lls catch fire!

In the meantime, here's some "before" pics as Brünhilde currently stands:
IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

Well I got those ridiculous stickers and angry grille off in short order, plus I pulled the Smittybilt X20 winch and stinger bumper as well. I put my Dave's Customs Unlimited bumper and Warn combo in its place, even if just temporarily (not sure what bumper I'll go with long-term, I need to see how picky PA is with bumper requirements). @RINC was in the market for a winch at a good deal, so we struck a deal - plus there is a guy interested in the bumper - this makes me happy, since I won't be tripping over these in my garage for the next few weeks :)

IMG_2475.JPG

There were a handful of things I could tackle this weekend. All my floor plugs arrived, so I replaced those and no more +120º air blasting at my crotch on the highway anymore! I did notice a lot of air coming through the floor near the center console, so I pulled the console to inspect (and also clean under!) and my suspicions were correct, the inner shifter boot had torn. The new one is $150 but no other options exists, so I had to plop down the money...

IMG_2487.JPG

Now that I wasn't getting air cannoned from the floorboards, I could actually use the A/C. I noticed it wasn't blowing on #1 or #2, so I checked the blower resistor and sure enough, there was no continuity between those terminals. A quick trip to AutoZone for a lifetime warranty $21 replacement got the A/C working as it should be.

IMG_2489.JPG

All my radio parts arrived a day earlier than expected, so I got to work on getting it prepped for transferring all the stuff from my TJ over. Pulling the dash and radio made me angry - not only did one of the PO's use butt connectors, they cut the factory plug off!! 🤬 I'm not a religious man, but I like to think that if there is a heaven and hell, that there is an extra low level of hell meant for pedophiles and for those who cut off factory radio plugs rather than use a $6.99 adapter...

IMG_2490.JPG

As you can imagine, someone who cuts the factory plug off has no issues mounting a speaker like this... #ziptiedlife

IMG_2486.JPG

Luckily, I had a complete 2005 dash harness I grabbed when I started my Hemi swap in the TJ, so I cut off that plug and soldered it in place. While I was doing that, I removed the OEM subwoofer (it wasn't even hooked up) and removed the wiring. I ended up repurposing many of the factory subwoofer wiring for the new setup.

IMG_2493.JPG

On factory subwoofer systems, they use split leads for the speaker wiring, with 1/2 going to the speakers and the other 1/2 going to the subwoofer (I'm guessing as some high-level input). I used the dedicated 16 AWG sub-amplifier circuit to supply my Alpine micro amp and then used the old high-level inputs to the sub-amp as speaker leads from the Alpine. Now, if I ever want to run a basic radio, all I need to do is wire the speaker outputs to the radio harness and unplug the Alpine micro amp.

IMG_2468.JPG

Since I was pulling things out of my TJ parts bucket, I grabbed my switches for the lockers and accessories. I modified the factory switch panel to accept the Eaton E-Locker switches, plus removed one of the 12V plug-style power sources and replaced it with the 2.1A USB charger + aux input port (which works great with CarPlay).

IMG_2492.JPG

While I was back here, I also pulled over the front Kicker CS Series 5.25" front speakers with the MTX angled brackets.

IMG_2502.JPG

I mounted the Alpine micro amp under the steering column using the same parts I made and used on the TJ. With that tucked away, I secured all the factory and new wirings, replaced some wire wrap I removed to fish the wires through, and reinstalled everything. After some tweaking on screen placement, I was happy with how it all turned out and it sounds great (and I haven't even replaced the rear speakers yet!). I'm still contemplating where I want to mount a sub but I do have the Sonopod and 10" Kicker (with a 400.1 amp). I wouldn't mind doing something with the unused space where the factory sub mounted; I could possibly repurpose the brackets for a custom 8" shallow mount sub enclosure, but I will need to take some measurements and see what kind of volume I have down there to work with...

Items next on my list to get done during the week:
- Replace blown gas struts in rear glass
- Thoroughly wash, clay bar and paint-correct as much as possible
- Replace the battery and terminals
- Get a spare key made
- Finish removing tint from windshield
- BedRug install

I ordered my BDO 1" MML and will be placing an order for the UCF skid plate here shortly. Once they arrive, I'll be swapping over the 1" BL from the TJ as well as the Savvy shifter. My plan is to get the t-case SYE, MML, tummy tuck and t-case shifter done at the same time. Once that is done and I can get my drive shafts lengthened, I will plan on moving over to the axle and hydro-assist swap.

Lots to do before the summer heat hits hard and we are packing up everything for the move...

Last edited:
I wonder what someone would say about a vehicle I'd owned before they got it? I don't think I've ever done that shitty of work before.

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p and Chris
I am glad I am not the only one who gets pissed off at previous owners cutting off factory plugs just to save $7 on a simple adapter.

I'm old enough to remember when they didn't offer those adapter plugs and you had cut the plugs off. But I always tried to leave some wires on the cut off plug so I could return it to stock if needed.

Reactions: Chris
I'm old enough to remember when they didn't offer those adapter plugs and you had cut the plugs off. But I always tried to leave some wires on the cut off plug so I could return it to stock if needed.
Yeah but that was from the times when FM radios were optional equipment :)

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Well I got those ridiculous stickers and angry grille off in short order, plus I pulled the Smittybilt X20 winch and stinger bumper as well. I put my Dave's Customs Unlimited bumper and Warn combo in its place, even if just temporarily (not sure what bumper I'll go with long-term, I need to see how picky PA is with bumper requirements).

View attachment 241016
How do you like the Dave's bumper? It was on my short list. I need a larger deck for the 8274 mount and the high clearance ones that don't extend beyond the frame don't look great with the stock sway bar. It seems like a good value option.

I've never spent much time up that way. I stick with south central and north central PA mostly.
We may have to have a trail ride one day; I don't know many trails in that part of the state. I went to college in Mansfield, so I know some of the trails on that side, but that's about as far west and south that I went. I usually stayed on the east side of the Scranton area, into NY and NJ.

How do you like the Dave's bumper? It was on my short list. I need a larger deck for the 8274 mount and the high clearance ones that don't extend beyond the frame don't look great with the stock sway bar. It seems like a good value option.
I like it - it's simple, looks good and is nicely priced (plus he's sorta a "local"). I don't think his bumpers are compatible with aftermarket sway bars, which kinda is a bummer, but I'm not against modifying them as needed. I am not sure if I will be running this bumper long-term or if I'll even be using a Currie/Swaylok, but I am happy so far.

Reactions: en480c4 and Wildman
Time to take care of this ridiculous name and sticker. I mean, "Smokey"?? Some people's kids... 🤦‍♂️
IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

I got the Exogate installed. Seems like a solid option and even with a somewhat heavy 35" beadlock, it barely makes the tailgate any harder to close. I will need to remove the support plates and paint underneath them (I need to get some color matched paint first).
IMG_2579.JPG

Running into an issue getting the snubbers close though. With the relocation brackets, the snubbers + extension are still a mile away from touching the tire. Without the relocation bracket, they tire overhang the bumper by ~2" and doesn't allow it to close. Need to do some research here and see what is a common solution...
IMG_2556.JPG

Speaking of rear bumpers... I can't believe I'm going to say it, but I'm looking at the Smittybilt Classic. I actually ran one of these on my YJ for about 3 years and towed with it quite often. I like the simple styling, low profile and functionality - and I gotta say, that the powder coat looked better after 3 years of use than my MetalCloak fender flares did after just a few weeks (they were fading and there was rust developing in the edges where the tube met the panel).

61jWhxUnqcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Speaking of rear bumpers... I can't believe I'm going to say it, but I'm looking at the Smittybilt Classic. I actually ran one of these on my YJ for about 3 years and towed with it quite often. I like the simple styling, low profile and functionality - and I gotta say, that the powder coat looked better after 3 years of use than my MetalCloak fender flares did after just a few weeks (they were fading and there was rust developing in the edges where the tube met the panel).

Smittybilt ?!! GTFO ! I don't even know you anymore.

Time to take care of this ridiculous name and sticker. I mean, "Smokey"?? Some people's kids... 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 241393
View attachment 241394

I got the Exogate installed. Seems like a solid option and even with a somewhat heavy 35" beadlock, it barely makes the tailgate any harder to close. I will need to remove the support plates and paint underneath them (I need to get some color matched paint first).
View attachment 241395

Running into an issue getting the snubbers close though. With the relocation brackets, the snubbers + extension are still a mile away from touching the tire. Without the relocation bracket, they tire overhang the bumper by ~2" and doesn't allow it to close. Need to do some research here and see what is a common solution...
View attachment 241392

View attachment 241396
Don't apologize... Own it! Who care what brand it is, as long as it works for you.

I needed to pull the wheels off of the TJ so that I could get the Hemi and front axle pulled, so I figured I might as well throw them onto the LJ and see what they looked like and how they fit...

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

They certainly look much better, though I still need to figure out what to do with the red rings (maybe just find a nice charcoal or dark silver?). As huge as those flares looked with 33"s on 4.5" BS wheels, they actually just barely cover these up, so perhaps I may end up cleaning these and using them after all (or getting a replacement set if cheap enough)...
IMG_2596.JPG

I am still waiting on a handful of parts to arrive - my BDO MML and UCF skid plate being the two big ones. I may install the 1" BL and just leave the fan shroud off until the MML arrives. My hope is to get the tuck, MML, SYE, suspension and axle swap done in a single week.