PC1P's 2006 Jeep LJ Build - Brünhilde

I bought a small wireless/WiFi camera to do some inspections on the house and wanted to see how it worked on the LJ frame. The pictures came out a little fuzzy, I think I need to play with some settings (the photos inside the house crawlspace and similar were excellent!) but you can get the idea of what the frame looks like. Overall, it's immaculate - despite being (literally!) plugged with mud in some spots when I first got it.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

With the weather changing to fall, winter is only weeks away. I took advantage of a 70º day and figured it was the best time to start my annual rust-prevention measures. I picked up two cans of Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating and watched a few YouTube videos. After two additional power-washings and a few days of drying out, it was time to get down to it.

5.JPG

I taped up most of the holes in the frame and torque boxes/tub rails. The hose included with the Eastwood can is ~24" long, and gives you maybe 20" of useful length.
6.JPG

The hose has a conical sprayer on the end that sprays in about a 140º pattern outward. In something like a frame, the pattern works well for coverage. To apply, you simply depress the nozzle and "pull" the hose along while holding the nozzle depressed. I found it easiest and most controlled to spray and pull back about 7-8" at a time. Then I repositioned my hand on the hose and repeated until the end of the hose was almost clear of the hole.

The nozzle and spray pattern is quite vigorous. Combined with the very low viscosity of the coating, it will find any crack or loose piece of tape you have. As a result, you DO NOT want to do this on a concrete driveway without serious drop cloth/tarp protection. My blacktop driveway was easy to wipe clean and it's already black, so not a worry there. On light concrete, this will make a mess.
7.JPG

I used gravity to my advantage and parked the Jeep facing uphill on the part of the driveway with a decent scope. This meant the coating flowed through the frame towards the rear, rather than just pool in spots. When I got to the rear, a bit of material was flowing out the back of the lower bumper bolt, which I figured is where water and salt would accumulate if it were ever to touch this frame anyways, so it made sense to go "heavy to the rear". If you look close below, you can see a few drips on the bottom bumper bracket.
8.JPG

The photo above gives a good shot of the new Poison Spyder Frame Stiffeners - I got these cheap on Amazon and figured it was a good move for towing/snatching.

Overall, I'm curious to see how well the coating actually coated the inside of the frame. I used 1 and 1/2 cans of coating, with a 1/2 can remaining for touch-ups if needed. This included the frame, the tubular crossmember across the front of the frame, and both torque boxes under the tub that run parallel to the frame rails. Since I got two cans, I also have an extra hose handy to reapply if needed. I'll give the paint a few days to cure and then I'll stick my camera down there and see what it looks like!

All I need to do now is drop the fuel tank to install the Savvy GTS. While it's down, I'll put some undercoating on the rear of the tub and frame and should get through this winter without any issues.

Got some pics from inside the frame rails - the black coating makes everything look like B&W film, to the point where I thought I stepped into a scene from the Blair Witch Project...

It seems to be well coated. There were some "streaks" that appeared on the camera but when I was looked into the frame where I could actually see into rail, the coating seems to have coated the wall and the streaks were simply a separate droplet that came from a different angle.
1.JPG

The bottom of the rail seems to be nicely coated, which is probably what needs to the most coverage anyways...
1a.JPG

2.JPG

2b.JPG

IMG_5228.JPG

As I was looking around for proper coverage, I saw this thing...
4.JPG

I used the camera itself to hook the unidentified object and pulled it out of the frame. I still have no idea what the hell it is, but it's out of the frame rail now...
5.JPG

A heated garage, thorough cleaning after wheeling/driving on salted road, and doing this every year should keep the frame looking perfect for as long as I own the LJ...

If I can ever get all the dirt out of my frame I've got the frame coating also. Glad you posted the pics to give me a idea of what to do.

I'm with Nashville as I have no idea what that part is. Funny the things you find sometimes.

Reactions: pc1p
Got some pics from inside the frame rails - the black coating makes everything look like B&W film, to the point where I thought I stepped into a scene from the Blair Witch Project...

It seems to be well coated. There were some "streaks" that appeared on the camera but when I was looked into the frame where I could actually see into rail, the coating seems to have coated the wall and the streaks were simply a separate droplet that came from a different angle.
View attachment 285493

The bottom of the rail seems to be nicely coated, which is probably what needs to the most coverage anyways...
View attachment 285494

View attachment 285495

View attachment 285496

View attachment 285499

As I was looking around for proper coverage, I saw this thing...
View attachment 285497

I used the camera itself to hook the unidentified object and pulled it out of the frame. I still have no idea what the hell it is, but it's out of the frame rail now...
View attachment 285498

A heated garage, thorough cleaning after wheeling/driving on salted road, and doing this every year should keep the frame looking perfect for as long as I own the LJ...
My guess is some sort of collar for a power washer. Hard to tell the size of it, though.

Reactions: pc1p and Wildman
Inspirational!

My '06 LJR is already very similar to where you are now but you've done things I hadn't considered..now I am.
Makes me think I should document what's done and what is coming.

Nicely done and will require a re-read.

Reactions: pc1p and Wildman
Inspirational!

My '06 LJR is already very similar to where you are now but you've done things I hadn't considered..now I am.
Makes me think I should document what's done and what is coming.

Nicely done and will require a re-read.
What are some of the things you're thinking of out of curiosity?

If I were back on the west-coast still, I wouldn't worry about things like rust prevention as much or with the larger flares, so mine is definitely built with a purpose in mind (mostly trails and trips hunting/camping/fishing, with the occasional trip to Rausch Creek)

Only place left to clean and undercoat was directly above the fuel tank. I have been keeping the tank low, less than 1/4 tank, knowing that this was coming. I thought I had nailed the timing, with my gas light coming on as I drove the Jeep into the garage to start the work...

IMG_5243.JPG

Much to my surprise however, the tank was ~1/2 full - so obviously my gauge is not reading correctly. The fuel sender is likely malfunctioning, so I think I'm going to order a replacement this week and get that swapped while it's all apart. I'll probably pull the flapper-valve out of the filler neck as well and do the DIY mod as well, since I have noticed some nozzles in the area do not work well with refueling and it constantly clicks off, requiring me to manually hold the fuel nozzle handle ~20% open the entire time.

IMG_5244.JPG

The factory skid was fairly muddy but not rusty, thanks to spending its life in Hawaii and Arizona. There was a sizeable dent in the middle however, which means I'm sure this took quite a few hits in its day...

IMG_5242.JPG

Of course the vent line clip leading to the charcoal canister broke despite using two 90º picks with surgical precision! Mopar doesn't list them in any parts diagram I could find, but luckily we have Amazon Prime and someone made a comment under the review for Dorman 800-041 Fuel Line Clip that it worked for their Jeep. I ordered a 2-pack and they are indeed a perfect fit!

Only place left to clean and undercoat was directly above the fuel tank. I have been keeping the tank low, less than 1/4 tank, knowing that this was coming. I thought I had nailed the timing, with my gas light coming on as I drove the Jeep into the garage to start the work...

View attachment 286094

Much to my surprise however, the tank was ~1/2 full - so obviously my gauge is not reading correctly. The fuel sender is likely malfunctioning, so I think I'm going to order a replacement this week and get that swapped while it's all apart. I'll probably pull the flapper-valve out of the filler neck as well and do the DIY mod as well, since I have noticed some nozzles in the area do not work well with refueling and it constantly clicks off, requiring me to manually hold the fuel nozzle handle ~20% open the entire time.

View attachment 286095

The factory skid was fairly muddy but not rusty, thanks to spending its life in Hawaii and Arizona. There was a sizeable dent in the middle however, which means I'm sure this took quite a few hits in its day...

View attachment 286093

Of course the vent line clip leading to the charcoal canister broke despite using two 90º picks with surgical precision! Mopar doesn't list them in any parts diagram I could find, but luckily we have Amazon Prime and someone made a comment under the review for Dorman 800-041 Fuel Line Clip that it worked for their Jeep. I ordered a 2-pack and they are indeed a perfect fit!
Have you already addressed the gas filler issues (if you have it)? Easy fix with the tank down.

Have you already addressed the gas filler issues (if you have it)? Easy fix with the tank down.
Not yet - it's on my list to do this week... I need to get a 5-gallon gas can and empty this tank more (and I'll probably rinse it out while I'm here)...

Reactions: Apparition
What are some of the things you're thinking of out of curiosity?

If I were back on the west-coast still, I wouldn't worry about things like rust prevention as much or with the larger flares, so mine is definitely built with a purpose in mind (mostly trails and trips hunting/camping/fishing, with the occasional trip to Rausch Creek)
Purpose build is identical: hunt/camp/fish, maybe Moab once or twice. And I want to lose the pocket flares and go with MetalCloak probably. For now I think it would look silly with MC fenders with what comes out to be 6" of lift.. see below.

Actually the Eastwood frame rust preventative is on my list since this LJR has only 29k on the clock and I've yet to find anything other than a tiny bit of surface rust, and would like to keep it that way. Original CA, then AZ, inland OR, and now NE NV. I doubt I'll drive it in winter much - I have an XJ for that - but I think a coating of Eastwood might keep it in good shape for the future. I'm sure there are other details in your build (and others) that I'll feed from. Not that complicated to do the Eastwood treatment so good to see that.

'06 LJR, 4.0, 6spd, 4.10, 44/44, weather-checked BFG KM2 315-75/16 on CVVT beadlocks (?), Rubicon Express 4.5" short arm, rear spring relocation, ACOS front, Bilstein 5100, Nth Degree Tummy Tuck, 1.25" BL, etc. Rock Hard full cage, Poison Spyder sliders & corner guards, Currie front bumper w/Warn 9.5 PowerPlant, and Currie tire carrier rear bumper, Kenwood TK-8180 GMRS.

I like the stance on yours better. Do the math with springs, ACOS and rear relo, comes to 6+", right? Same pocket flares also so that's not the appearance difference. Guess I should get a profile shot with something for scale to compare.
Could you do me a favor and measure from the floor to the bottom of your sliders. No rush of course. I'm betting you're 3 inches shorter at that point than mine (29").
Also curious, what is the exact size on your 35" MTRs? I'm going to move away from the beadlocks probably and go to 15, or more likely 17" wheels (concern about 15s clearing future big brakes).

Purpose build is identical: hunt/camp/fish, maybe Moab once or twice. And I want to lose the pocket flares and go with MetalCloak probably. For now I think it would look silly with MC fenders with what comes out to be 6" of lift.. see below.

Actually the Eastwood frame rust preventative is on my list since this LJR has only 29k on the clock and I've yet to find anything other than a tiny bit of surface rust, and would like to keep it that way. Original CA, then AZ, inland OR, and now NE NV. I doubt I'll drive it in winter much - I have an XJ for that - but I think a coating of Eastwood might keep it in good shape for the future. I'm sure there are other details in your build (and others) that I'll feed from. Not that complicated to do the Eastwood treatment so good to see that.

'06 LJR, 4.0, 6spd, 4.10, 44/44, weather-checked BFG KM2 315-75/16 on CVVT beadlocks (?), Rubicon Express 4.5" short arm, rear spring relocation, ACOS front, Bilstein 5100, Nth Degree Tummy Tuck, 1.25" BL, etc. Rock Hard full cage, Poison Spyder sliders & corner guards, Currie front bumper w/Warn 9.5 PowerPlant, and Currie tire carrier rear bumper, Kenwood TK-8180 GMRS.

I like the stance on yours better. Do the math with springs, ACOS and rear relo, comes to 6+", right? Same pocket flares also so that's not the appearance difference. Guess I should get a profile shot with something for scale to compare.
Could you do me a favor and measure from the floor to the bottom of your sliders. No rush of course. I'm betting you're 3 inches shorter at that point than mine (29").
Also curious, what is the exact size on your 35" MTRs? I'm going to move away from the beadlocks probably and go to 15, or more likely 17" wheels (concern about 15s clearing future big brakes).

You were pretty close - my rocker panel is a smidge over 26-1/2" at the center of the door:

IMG_5322.JPG

This is on 4" ProComp springs, a 1" BL, and the 35" MT/R which measure right at 34.25" at the moment with 28 psig of air in the tires (wheels are 15x8" ProComp Alloy 069).
IMG_3282.JPG

Here is the most square, sideways shot I have at the moment... with the Currie bumps and Rancho 5000x front shocks (PN# RS55255, 10.73" travel, 15.8" compressed length), I have ~1/4" of up travel remaining and just clear the rear wall of the inner fender.

I like 15"s on a TJ - they have a classic look and function nicely. The MTR was recently discontinued in 15", which I hope is just a short-term blip and not a long-term trend. I don't mind 17"s but none of the available 17" tires in 5x4.5" lug pattern have sufficient backspacing to run 35" tires cleanly (unless you go beadlocks) and almost all of them are ugly as all hell (in terms of classic Jeep styling). There also aren't many C-load rated 35x12.5" tires in 17", forcing you to run D or even E-load tires on a lightweight rig. I'll run 15"s until there aren't any left :ROFLMAO:

If I remember correctly, Blaine said that even his BBK that works with 15" wheels are more than plenty to lock up 35" tires, so that is even less of a reason to run 17"s IMO...

Reactions: NOTNSUV and Wildman
I completely agree on the 15" look, and function. I'll keep looking around but as you say hard to find tires. Why 'they' have to continue to "improve" what works is over my pay grade I guess.
What's Blaine's BBK?

Reactions: Wildman and pc1p
Productive lunch breaks make me happy...

I washed the undercarriage one more time last week with some degreaser and wheeled the Jeep back into the garage to dry out over the weekend while we were exploring Philly. With everything dry (and before we get a bunch of rain and colder temps!), I did the last remaining winterization/rust-proofing.

All taped up and ready to spray:
1.JPG

The Three Amigos of Rust Prevention:
2.JPG

Finished Product:
3.JPG

I used the Eastwood Frame Coating to get inside all the support rails (did each rail twice, one "pass" from each direction), then used the Rustoleum Professional for the exterior of the frame rails, the upper shock mount and crossmember, and the track bar bracket, then hit the tub underside, as well as the inner fenders (where I had run out of undercoating last time), and inside the tub by where the taillight wiring is. I also made sure to coat the tub panel by the body mounts from multiple directions to ensure it was a smooth and even coating. One of the advantages of the LJ is that the rearmost crossmember is exposed and easy to clean in winter months!

Is there a specific offset for 15" wheels to clear LJ disc brakes since OEM was 16" on the Rubicon?

Don't wanna make a big mistake buying the wrong wheels.
Looks like Cooper and some others have offerings in 35 x 15.. off to make sure of that.

I completely agree on the 15" look, and function. I'll keep looking around but as you say hard to find tires. Why 'they' have to continue to "improve" what works is over my pay grade I guess.
What's Blaine's BBK?
Blaine, aka @mrblaine makes the Vanco BBK ("big brake kit") in numerous configurations, with the 15/16" dual-mode kit being the most popular. Check them out here: https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/VANCO-15-Big-Brake-Kit-with-BMB-Pads-for-15-Rims-BBK-NDM15.htm

If you're looking for a BBK, there is really not other competition...

Is there a specific offset for 15" wheels to clear LJ disc brakes since OEM was 16" on the Rubicon?

Don't wanna make a big mistake buying the wrong wheels.
Looks like Cooper and some others have offerings in 35 x 15.. off to make sure of that.
Generally 3.75" to 4" is what people go with on 12.5" wide tires to clear the suspension parts that tend to get rubbed. The brakes on the LJ or any Rubi are the same as the standard TJ/LJ as the knuckles, brakes, rotors, etc. are identical.

There are still plenty of 35" R15 offerings, so no concern yet, but it was a shame to see the common MT/R get nixxed...

Reactions: Wildman and NOTNSUV