Pcoplin's TJ

I wanted to share what my Jeep looked like in 2004. I've had this Jeep for 19 years, and have had many iterations of it. Each one has been a learning experience, and have had a ton of fun wheeling, learning, and making all my own stuff on it. :D

View attachment 68921

What's up with the front fender?

Oh... and are you sure that's the same Jeep? :p

What's up with the front fender?

Oh... and are you sure that's the same Jeep? :p
Well, there was this time I went to the store to rent a movie, cut across the parking lot, and hit a cement light pole base straight on my left front tire. Bestop doors create quite a blind spot. :D

It bent the front axle housing, folded up the control arm, popped the left front coil spring out onto the pavement, bent the shock, and pushed the front axle back enough to where the driveshaft split the 231 in half, losing all the fluid. Also smacked my head badly on the stock roll bar. It still drove back to my house.

Reactions: toximus
Well, there was this time I went to the store to rent a movie, cut across the parking lot, and hit a cement light pole base straight on my left front tire. Bestop doors create quite a blind spot. :D

It bent the front axle housing, folded up the control arm, popped the left front coil spring out onto the pavement, bent the shock, and pushed the front axle back enough to where the driveshaft split the 231 in half, losing all the fluid. Also smacked my head badly on the stock roll bar. It still drove back to my house.

And I'm guessing that's where the build spiraled out of control from there? Haha! That little accident was like the gateway drug. Next thing you know, you're like "Hmmmm, why not put some 1-ton axles in it? But wait... if I'm going to do that, why not add a V8 and stretch it!".

I know how that goes... Somehow I'm into mine for 40k alone (excluding the cost of the vehicle) and I don't even have a V8 or 1-ton axles!

Those pesky cement light post jump out of nowhere!
:beer-toast1:

Reactions: Chris and pcoplin
Paul, I had seen your comment that you're planning on losing the full body. Are you thinking about going with a kit like GoatBuilt or are you designing your own chassis?

Paul, I had seen your comment that you're planning on losing the full body. Are you thinking about going with a kit like GoatBuilt or are you designing your own chassis?
I'll be doing all the tube work. Raising the rockers and panelizing it all.

Like my buddy's YJ we did, but will look more Jeep like. Like Campbell's Grizzly chassis or Currie/Savvy 88 car. If I ever race the Jeep as is, it's too hard to prep.

31241e2bee3b07311781edc44572851b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT and Chris
So at this point, it’s really not a Jeep anymore... just the the grille ;)

I’m just messing with you. I would love to have a rig like that.

So at this point, it’s really not a Jeep anymore... just the the grille ;)

I’m just messing with you. I would love to have a rig like that.

No, not really. about 7 feet of frame, the cowl forward, and the heater. :)

Everything that comes stock on a Jeep is mediocre when you get to a point in wheeling. Motor and axles are underwhelming. When I drive customer's or friends rigs that are 4.0s, I don't have any fun. They work too hard and sound like an overworked sewing machine while doing it. :D

I'll get an LJ to do a mild build sometime, but only V8 or supercharged.

Reactions: toximus and Starrs
No, not really. about 7 feet of frame, the cowl forward, and the heater. :)

Everything that comes stock on a Jeep is mediocre when you get to a point in wheeling. Motor and axles are underwhelming. When I drive customer's or friends rigs that are 4.0s, I don't have any fun. They work too hard and sound like an overworked sewing machine while doing it. :D

I'll get an LJ to do a mild build sometime, but only V8 or supercharged.

Very true! And to be honest, even as a daily driver, they suck in terms of comfort and road manners.

Once you get to the point you are with wheeling, there's no way that anything close to stock would work. Not without more effort than it's worth I suspect.

Got some new tires to try at KOH. They are YUGE. Nitto KOH-spec 40s. Likely going to destroy my whole drivetrain.

Going to have to stretch some more if I'm going to run 40s though. And get cam and heads. :(
2dfcb88285e7711de8899da11d30ee46.jpg

Reactions: derekmac and Chris
:D Should be 500 when done.

I'm betting trans input shaft goes first....

I always laugh when I see guys with 40s and a stock 4.0 engine... I've seen it more times than I care to admit.

I always laugh when I see guys with 40s and a stock 4.0 engine... I've seen it more times than I care to admit.

Why is that? Do you also laugh every time you see pretty much any older 4 cylinder Toyota build? If you gear it down enough, it'll work for a lot of off roading (obviously not racing though). Thats why tons of hardcore toyota guys keep the stock 4 cylinder and run dual transfer cases. These builds aren't typically driven on the road very much...

Also, Paul, great TJ. I agree with @billiebob, it is proportioned very well. Looks great!

I think Chris is reffering to the ones which are.

I am indeed. I'm also just musing over the even with as good as the 4.0 engine is, it will only get you so far.

If you're planning on putting 40" tires, one-ton axles, etc., it's probably time to think about putting in a more powerful engine.

But hey... to each their own ;)