People can really job hop now

This is a day laborer mentality. Which makes sense given the number coming into the country.

It's not as hard as it once was given computer automation and banking, but companies still have a lot of reporting for benefits and withholdings.

They sure don't want to cut daily checks or carry the cash on hand to pay employees daily. That's a security risk for many mid sized businesses.

Reactions: Chris
It would be basically impossible for a large company to do it.

It takes 2-3 days for my company to run a bi-weekly payroll, not counting the processing time by ADP, and we are one of the faster divisions inside of the company. Most take an extra day.

*edit* Most of those workers wouldn't be too happy with the pay cut that would come from paying the army of Payroll people it would take to pay them.

It would be basically impossible for a large company to do it.

I'll have to let my HR rep know that, since the large nationwide company I work for does it. I can go to the employee website and get up to 50% of my current unpaid hours sent to my bank account. I've only done it once, it was there the next day.

Our normal cycle is biweekly. Personally I'd say the best compromise is a weekly pay cycle and be done with it.

I'll have to let my HR rep know that, since the large nationwide company I work for does it. I can go to the employee website and get up to 50% of my current unpaid hours sent to my bank account. I've only done it once, it was there the next day.

Our normal cycle is biweekly. Personally I'd say the best compromise is a weekly pay cycle and be done with it.
I knew a well paid attorney that was paid monthly.

They were also paid via check.

The bank clerks always seemed shocked when they’d deposit it.

I knew a well paid attorney that was paid monthly.

They were also paid via check.

The bank clerks always seemed shocked when they’d deposit it.
I made a run at changing my pay cycle to monthly just to simplify my own accounting. It'd be easier, but it didn't pan out.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
When I taught at the local college, we got paid the last teaching day of the month. In December you got paid mid-month, but it was a long wait until January for the next paycheck.

Very interesting, but as far as I understand you are an exception, not the rule

I used to get paid weekly (every friday for the previous week). It was convenient, and easy to verify if hours were correct.

Now I'm paid bi-weekly on tuesdays, and the pay period is split in the middle of the week. Not a fan.

Daily payment? F that nonsense. Weekly checks is where it's at.

Reactions: TJ Starting
My last job paid monthly. It was kinda nice to have the whole month available at once. Just pay all my bills on the first and then I know exactly what's left. I'm paid semi monthly now which takes a little more planning. I can't imagine being paid daily, it would be easy to spend too much and never have enough to pay rent/mortgage.

People are crazy. It would cost the employer so much more money to do that, they would have to cut wages to offset the cost.

Our HR Dept sent an email/survey just today wanting everyone's input on moving from bi-weekly to weekly. Their reasoning was trying to attract new employees and retaining current staff in this job market. For me, I'm salaried and not in a position where I'm living check to check, so for me, doesn't really make a difference either way. I could see the benefit for the hourly staff, especially if they are putting in overtime to generate some extra pay for whatever situations may arise. One would have to be very diligent with their money if they are getting payed on a daily basis. Sounds good, but would be a disaster for the vast majority of us.

People are crazy. It would cost the employer so much more money to do that, they would have to cut wages to offset the cost.

I guarantee if it was costing my company anything they wouldn't do it.

From what I understand it's a feature of the time tracking software they already use, cost them nothing to just offer the option. It's all computer generated.

I guarantee if it was costing my company anything they wouldn't do it.

From what I understand it's a feature of the time tracking software they already use, cost them nothing to just offer the option. It's all computer generated.
Curious (as I work in Information Systems), what time tracking software is your company using? Also wondering, approximately how large the company you work for is?

Curious (as I work in Information Systems), what time tracking software is your company using? Also wondering, approximately how large the company you work for is?
his original post said large, nationwide so probably in the thousands of employees. At that scale, purchased 3rd party payroll systems are common and really the only way to get it done.

It's really the small and medium sized businesses that would have a hard time with it. My company has about 400 employees and is only just now working on upgrading a decades-old payroll system.