Pepe 2.0 the barn find Rubicon build

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
So I thought I would post my 05 Rubicon transformation Pepe 2.0 even though it's been a few years.

For those of you that are a little bit older you may remember the movie Romancing the Stone. In the move Jane Wilder and Jack Colton were looking for a car, they were told that Juan had a car. When they asked Juan about his car he said " you mean Pepe my little mule" Pepe was actually a built up Bronco. But when looking to name my first jeep a 95 stock YJ Pepe was it. Pepe was a stock Rio Grande "4 cyl" YJ, that was bought to be a cabin car. It was for a few years than one thing led to another. Then over the next few years Pepe got a Dana 44 rear end with ARB's F&R and re-gear and more.

After wanting to go to 35's and a 6 Cyl it was time to start the search. I wanted a clean TJ, with low miles, and a Dana 44 rear end to start with. I looked for several months and many jeeps, I was hoping to find something that was already lifted and and some things I was looking to have, Everything I was looking at was a bunch of cheaply built crap.

So I keep looking then I found an 05 Rubicon at a Dodge Dealer in Sacramento. It was a bone stock fully loaded Rubicon other than a rear Rack with low miles.

IMG_0266_zpsb580bca6.JPG

IMG_0254_zpsb08f1d42.JPG

A stone white TJ Rubicon with factory Moab wheels. I love it already!

I had done a lot of research and knew I wanted to run 35's and knew it would not be cheap. So the ordering began, and never let the wife know how much I really spent LOL.

So over the next few weeks goodies staring showing up.

4" Currie Lift with Adjustable CA's all around
Currie Steering
Rancho RS9000Xl Shocks
15" Pro Comp Wheels
35 x 12.50 x 15 BFG KM2
Spod
Ten Factory front axles
G2 4:88 gears
Riddler Diff Covers
Rock Hard 4x4 sport cage

Spod2t_zps1ccb6ea7.JPG

30_zps131e4160.JPG

63_zps5460ff09.JPG

10fac_zps94192a0c.JPG

cover_zpsc6f9fdf1.JPG

imagesCA0R1O50_zps5a98ca36.JPG

81_zps6975e10d.JPG

A stone white TJ Rubicon with factory Moab wheels. I love it already!
You know I was looking for Red or Yellow or some other fun color, but when I found this one and after looking for months I could not pass it up.

You know I was looking for Red or Yellow or some other fun color, but when I found this one and after looking for months I could not pass it up.

White, red, and green are my favorite colors on the Rubicon. Oh, and the ultra rare Inca Gold.

With the Currie Lift & Steering installed, I also added a Skid Row Radiator Skid Protector. I then put on the 33's from my YJ just to get an idea. Also welded on the lower control arm skids

38_zpsf8f7d632.JPG

39_zps460b14db.JPG

photo_zpsd8da7a80.JPG

get-attachment1_zps060f64f7.jpg

Last edited:
Also added a Skid Row Steering Box Skid, and my new favorite mod my A/R. After fighting the sway bar disco's on Pepe every time I went off road I could not wait for this mod.

get-attachment_zpsa320d490.JPG

Reactions: Alex01 and afmoto
You might want to consider adding 1” body and motor mount lift since you’ll need that anyway for a tummy tuck. That might give you enough clearance for the 35’s.

Nice Rubicon, congrats on the purchase and hope you enjoy it for many, many miles!

You might want to consider adding 1” body and motor mount lift since you’ll need that anyway for a tummy tuck. That might give you enough clearance for the 35’s.

Nice Rubicon, congrats on the purchase and hope you enjoy it for many, many miles!
I did end up adding a 1" BL and that did solve the rubbing problems, I have not yet added the MML

Great looking Rubicon. Looks like your putting it to good use.

Took it out for a little play time with a buddy at Slick Rock Trail

View attachment 105917

View attachment 105918

Did you just go? How is the trail
Conditions? I heard there was a new section to avoid the private property, that’s supposed to be fun?

Planning to run slick rock and deer valley with mine soon. Ive done most of the trails in the area many times but never deer valley.

Jeep looks great!

Did you just go? How is the trail
Conditions? I heard there was a new section to avoid the private property, that’s supposed to be fun?

Planning to run slick rock and deer valley with mine soon. Ive done most of the trails in the area many times but never deer valley.

Jeep looks great!
No those pictures are from a couple years ago, this build started a few years ago just getting around to posting it up. I did Slick Rock and Deer Valley last year. So far I have only done Sour Grass this year.