Picked up this TJ Unlimited

Daltonmc56

Supporting Member
Picked up this 2004 Unlimited recently. Garage kept with no mods and has never been off road. Thinking about what I will be doing first. Basic use back and forth to hunting camp and light off road at camp to start

2C9F6EF1-C80B-4BE7-AC4A-89E609B4096E.jpeg

Nice find!

I'm in the "leave it alone for a while" camp until you see what you need; if anything. They're quite capable as-is for performing the driving/activities you described.

My '05 Unlimited gets little custom things to make it mine, but I still like the mostly-stock look.

I’m in Michigan also. Farther north, but a winch and some more aggressive tires will get you just about anywhere within reason.

Like others have mentioned, enjoy it for now and learn what mods would be helpful for you.

Nice find. I suggest you open a savings account for the mods tomorrow. Even light mods cost $$. Take your time and use it for a while to see what you want to do with it. Do it once. Do it right the first time.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Nice find!

I'm in the "leave it alone for a while" camp until you see what you need; if anything. They're quite capable as-is for performing the driving/activities you described.

My '05 Unlimited gets little custom things to make it mine, but I still like the mostly-stock look.
I so agree.

I hear guys over and over .....”I want a Jeep that is nice to drive on the road and off road capable too”

Jeep heard that too, and built one. It was called the TJ and TJ Unlimited.

My point is these things are fantastic stock, they just don’t look as aggressive as they can modified.

I have an unmolested 04 now and feel guilty knowing what I’m going to do to it.....BUT.....if you stay on here you can learn to do things to these and not throw all the good engineering out the window.

Last edited:
Nice find. I suggest you open a savings account for the mods tomorrow. Even light mods cost $$. Take your time and use it for a while to see what you want to do with it. Do it once. Do it right the first time.

This is the way!

When I decided that I wanted to begin the first big stage of my build I squirreled a few hundred away in my gun safe every paycheck. By the time that I finally decided on what all I wanted to do and what parts I wanted to buy 6 months later, I had the lion's share of the funds stashed back already.

Just start saving a few bucks every time you get a chance and by the time you've driven it enough to determine what mods would be beneficial for you, you'll already have most of the funds!

Looks beautiful. Get those wheel weights off and make sure future shops use sticky weights inside the wheels for balancing. Crimp weights eat up the rims every time they are removed or installed.

man if it's really in good shape and the frame is not rusted PLEASE treat your frame with something to prevent it from starting ! do it now while it's clean, this should be #1 on your list.....OH AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM 🍻

Looks beautiful. Get those wheel weights off and make sure future shops use sticky weights inside the wheels for balancing. Crimp weights eat up the rims every time they are removed or installed.

Thanks I was fortunate to find it. Wheels are going in to be refinished and new tires soon. Owned an Auto Repair Facility for 30 years, always drove me nuts seeing people balancing the outer plane without using tape weights!

Picked up this 2004 Unlimited recently. Garage kept with no mods and has never been off road. Thinking about what I will be doing first. Basic use back and forth to hunting camp and light off road at camp to start

View attachment 366734

https://postimg.cc/YvVxck9d]
20191004-181347.jpg
[/url]

Looks similar to my 2004!

Congrats!

I so agree.

I hear guys over and over .....”I want a Jeep that is nice to drive on the road and off road capable too”

Jeep heard that too, and built one. It was called the TJ and TJ Unlimited.

My point is these things are fantastic stock, they just don’t look as aggressive as they can modified.

I have an unmolested 04 now and feel guilty knowing what I’m going to do to it.....BUT.....if you stay on here you can learn to do things to these and not throw all the good engineering out the window.

This is why you have 2 — 1 you can mod however you want, and the other to keep bone stock to cruise around in that still has nice manners and you can feel groovy cruising around in.