Pierce winches

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Anyone kow an thing about them? Ricky at @4LowParts carries them. Did some snooping around online and they have a good reputation with the Expedition folks. Heavier than most winches. The company site says Texas with a target market of commercial, industrial and Agricultural. Made in China. Good support for parts and customers.

About the same as a Warn m8000. The suckers weigh in at 90 some pounds! They have a ton of different flavors including worm drive and hydraulic.

But then this begs the question... Why bother with something that isn't as proven as an M8000, especially if they cost the same?

Not to rip on these guys (since I don't have any experience with them), but I'd rather just buy something that was tried and tested on just about every Jeep out there.

Or are you just inquiring out of curiosity? I don't like the made in China thing... However, I know that not 100% of the M8000 is US made, I think some of the internals are Chinese. Maybe @Jerry Bransford knows for sure though.

Reactions: StG58
The M8000 is primarily manufactured in Clackamas Oregon, only its Bosch motor is imported, I believe from Brazil. Same with the 9000, 9.5xp, etc. Only Warn's VR line of winches are imported from and totally manufactured in China.

Their small ATV size winches are imported from China but the majority of the Jeep size winches are manufactured in Oregon. Some small parts are imported but the majority of the parts are actually manufactured in Oregon.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Been looking at winches and was really surprised at the weight difference between syn and steel line. Definitely look at syn line to keep the lbs off our SE's.

Clackamas, Oregon... All that time I've spent driving through Clackamas, yet somehow I've never managed to spot the Warn factory.

Reactions: StG58
Clackamas, Oregon... All that time I've spent driving through Clackamas, yet somehow I've never managed to spot the Warn factory.
Funny, I took a little longer route through Pennsylvania so I could drive through Hershey where the Hershey chocolate site is and where the Amish were said to be all over the roads in their horse-drawn buggies. I didn't see either, I was bummed.

I wasn't real happy with my Warn 9.5xp's $1500 price either but only the cheap stuff is cheap. :)

The price of quality isn't the impediment, its the insufficiency of funds at the moment that hinders my forward progress! I would love a Masterpull winch line, or a chest load of SK tools! But, alas, one day!

I was looking at two Warn winches. The first one that caught my eye was the 9.0Rc, billed as Warn's competition winch for Jeeps. The reason that I looked at it was because it was a much more compact unit. Methinks to myself, it's smaller, so it's got to be lighter! (I'll get back to this in a moment) The second is the classic Warn M8000 that is recommended by all and hangs off the front of a lot of the older, more "used" rigs around here.

Here the part that I found very interesting. The Warn 9.0Rc weighs in at only a pound less than the classic M8000, and it has 50' less line on it!
Warn 9.0Rc.jpg

9.0Rc SPECS/PART NUMBER
Winch Model: WARN 9.0Rc
Part Number: 71550
Rated Line Pull: 9,000 lbs. (4080 kgs) single-line
Motor: Series Wound, 12V 4.8 hp
Electrical controls: Contactor
Remote Control: Remote switch, 12' (3.7m) lead
Geartrain: 3-Stage Planetary
Gear ratio: 216:1
Clutch (freespooling): Sliding Ring Gear
Brake: Automatic mechanical cone brake
Drum diameter/Length: 2.75 in/4.75 in (7.0cm/12cm)
Weight: 54 lbs. (24.8kgs.)
Rope: 50 ft, 3/8 in (15m, 9.5mm) Spydura™ synthetic Rope
Fairlead: Matte aluminum Hawse
Recommended Battery: 650 CCA minimum for winching
Battery leads: 2 gauge, 72 in (1.83m)
Finish: Gloss red paint over primer undercoating

M80000-s.jpg

M8-s SPECS/PART NUMBERS
Winch model: M8-s
Part number: 87800 (currently not CE compliant)
Rated line pull: 8,000 lbs., (3630 kgs.) single-line
Motor: Series Wound, 12V 4.8 hp, 24V 2.1 hp,
Geartrain: 3-Stage Planetary
Clutch (freespooling): Sliding ring gear
Brake: Automatic mechanical cone
Drum diameter/Length: 2.625"/9.0" (6.66cm/23cm)
Weight: 55 lbs. (25 kgs)
Rope: Spydura™ synthetic — 100', 3/8" diam.
Fairlead: Full radius matte aluminum hawse
Battery leads: 2 gauge, 72" (1.83m)
Finish: Argent gray powder coat

Then here's the M8000 in all it's glory (and weight)
M80000.jpg

M8 SPECS/PART NUMBERS
Winch model: M8
Part number: 26502 (wire rope, 12V)
Part Number: 88502 (wire rope, 12V, CE, International sales only)
Rated line pull: 8,000 lbs., (3630 kgs.) single-line
Motor: Series Wound, 12V 4.8 hp
Gear train: 3-Stage Planetary
Clutch (freespooling): Sliding ring gear
Brake: Automatic mechanical cone
Drum diameter/Length: 2.5"/9.0" (6.4cm/23cm)
Weight: 74 lbs. (34 kgs)
Rope: Steel — 100', 5/16" diam. (30m, 8mm diam.)
Fairlead: Roller
Battery leads: 2 gauge, 72" (1.83m)
Finish: Argent gray powder coat

Plus that red color on the 9.0Rc is just not going to fly.

@Jerry Bransford pointed out in another thread that getting the M8000 with the steel cable and then swapping it out for synthetic is not a bad option for saving a little money. Walking around the parking lot last night, I'm sure that I could pawn a new Warn cable off on someone at work and recoup a little cash towards a synthetic line.

This winch mounting plate is intriguing, from Under Cover Fabworks
UCF Aluminum Winch plate.jpg

It weighs in at 8 pounds.

Last edited:
The price of quality isn't the impediment, its the insufficiency of funds at the moment that hinders my forward progress! I would love a Masterpull winch line, or a chest load of SK tools! But, alas, one day!
Oh man, I so get it! I think we need to start a poor Jeeper's club...

I looked at the Warns but they are pricey. I don't anticipate using one much at all as I am not wheelin as much as back country hunting. But being way back and solo, I can definitely see the usefulness. I am probably going with the Engo/syn line from AOR. I have a used Warn winch plate coming from a member so that is covered. Hopefully I can use it to hoist an elk up the meat pole come Sept :D

I looked at the Warns but they are pricey. I don't anticipate using one much at all as I am not wheelin as much as back country hunting. But being way back and solo, I can definitely see the usefulness. I am probably going with the Engo/syn line from AOR. I have a used Warn winch plate coming from a member so that is covered. Hopefully I can use it to hoist an elk up the meat pole come Sept :D
I looked really hard at the Engo E9000 s from AOR as well. It's a good winch with good reviews, for a fair price. They are local to me as well, but made in China. Engo is headquartered in Vancouver, Wa., which is through the woods and just across the river, with Warn being through the woods and across a smaller river. Look at the new Engo's, they updated the design and changed the solenoid mounting. I'm not sure that you can remote mount the solenoid any longer. That's a deal breaker for me.

Another good use for a winch! Dinner on a meat pole!

Not versed on winches; what is the benefit to remote mounting the solenoid?
It gets the solenoid out of the weather and mounts it up a little higher so it doesn't get submerged on deep water crossings. There's also advantages for security where malicious people can't mess with your winch as easily. It's getting the solenoid out of the weather for me. Wet snow and constant rain 9 months out of the year can take it's toll. The Warn's seem to hold up pretty well, but I've seen and heard of other winches with lesser solenoid packages failing from corrosion around here. Seen the insides of a Warn where the corrosion was pretty extensive too, but it was still running OK. Oh, that goes for the Engo's as well. Check the tightness of the fasteners holding it togather, and look at the sealing on the motor and gear box. There has been reports of issues with that, with new winches. Engo's good at fixing / replacing the failed parts, but the solenoid warrenty is only one year, and the old solenoid box's were pretty flimsy.

I'm really torn on the whole "Made in China" thing. This is from first hand experience too.

I work for a company that makes high end medical equipment. Our stuff is the most expensive and most innovative equipment out there, buy a wide margin. We sell world wide. The quandary came when we tried to expand into China, India, South America and other areas where the economy wouldn't support our pricing. We moved production of a simpler, and less expensive line to China. Opened up a subsidiary there. It took us about three years to get the quality and customer service up to standards, and during that time we didn't sell a thing out of that facility. Lots of trips to China by our engineers and customer support folks. We ended up sending selected senior production people over there to actually show them how to build our product to our standards. Lots of time and effort involved, but it's starting to pay off now. Most of the raw components are still manufactured in our facility here, and shipped to China.

Last edited: