Pilot bearing questions

FuNkYMoNk85

Need some help identifying my pilot bearing condition. Long story short I found a broken skirt on the #5 piston, so I pulled the motor yesterday and plan to rebuild it. Figure while I'm at it I will replace bearings, seals, and clutch as I can since it's open.

My question is regarding the pilot bearing itself. I found the bearings online and they seem to be a needle/roller type bearing. When I look at my crankshaft ID I don't see any open rollers like what I see in pics online, is the bearing trashed and gone? Or is it a different bearing, or maybe even a bushing instead? Photos attached for reference.

Btw if it's not listed I have an '02 sport with a 4.0 and manual trans.

PXL_20230130_020949337.jpg

PXL_20230130_020839629.jpg

PXL_20230130_020939689.jpg

PXL_20230130_020859817.jpg

Don't worry about it. Put in a new one. Grease is your friend. Looks like you have a RMS leak.

I think most of us prefer Luk clutches. I've used their included pilot bearing...others don't like it.

Flywheel is domed. Leave it alone or replace it. Don't get it machined.

Check your dowel pins. Mine were in bad shape. They locate the transmission properly.

-Mac

That's what I was thinking, but left me head scratching regardless.

I definitely have a RMS leaking, and oil pan gasket, head gasket....you name it and it's leaking. She's got 276k miles on it, ran well other than the deafening knock from the broken piston skirt. Rotated it upside down on the stand just to inspect further and found 2, 4, and 6 piston skirts cracked.

Back to the pilot bearing, is there anything left there to remove now? Thanks for the Luk recommendation, I'll look into it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That's what I was thinking, but left me head scratching regardless.

I definitely have a RMS leaking, and oil pan gasket, head gasket....you name it and it's leaking. She's got 276k miles on it, ran well other than the deafening knock from the broken piston skirt. Rotated it upside down on the stand just to inspect further and found 2, 4, and 6 piston skirts cracked.

Back to the pilot bearing, is there anything left there to remove now? Thanks for the Luk recommendation, I'll look into it.

This video may not be perfect, but it shows there's a collar and the pilot. You can see that it looks like yours the pilot is gone, but the collar is still there in place I believe. I'd get that all cleaned out and bearing driver to get it in and ready to move on.

Don't worry about it. Put in a new one. Grease is your friend. Looks like you have a RMS leak.

I think most of us prefer Luk clutches. I've used their included pilot bearing...others don't like it.

Flywheel is domed. Leave it alone or replace it. Don't get it machined.

Check your dowel pins. Mine were in bad shape. They locate the transmission properly.

-Mac

Are the dowel pins hollow that go into the block with the lower bolts? I assumed these were some sort of bushing so I bagged one, the other is in the block still.

PXL_20230130_103731914.jpg

This video may not be perfect, but it shows there's a collar and the pilot. You can see that it looks like yours the pilot is gone, but the collar is still there in place I believe. I'd get that all cleaned out and bearing driver to get it in and ready to move on.

Thanks for the video! I figured there had to be some sort of outer race or collar still there, didn't think that would have disintegrated as well. I had an old S10 that had a bushing instead of a bearing, so wasn't sure what I was looking at here.

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated!

Reactions: cpwolf
Got it, that's what these are then. Take it they're not pressed in? The one came out easy, the other is still in the block.

Usually they are split...big C that completely closes... should provide enough pressure to stay put. They're cheap enough that if you think they're suspect then swap em out.

-Mac