Planning for the future, SYE and driveshaft question

WNC05willys

TJ Enthusiast
First off,

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!

New member here and this is my first post.

I'm sure this has been beat to death, and I have read and researched and cannot find the answer, and so, I turn to you for help....

I already have a 3 inch lift installed, my next project is adjustable control arms and SYE/DS. I am planning on doing a tummy tuck down the line (probably a year or two). I am pretty sold on the adams kit with the tera mega short SYE in prep for the TT, but, will I need to purchase a new driveshaft when I do the TT? or will the one that I purchase with the SYE kit still work? Also, at what point would I need to purchase a new front DS?

Please keep in mind that this is a DD that spends 90% on road, with a lot of highway miles but I am an opportunistic trail rider right now.

Any input is greatly appreciated and thanks for having me!!

Yes you'll need a new double-cardin rear driveshaft, I'd get it from www.4xshaft.com and ask to speak with Shawn or Tom Wood. Great people to talk you through everything.

No need yet for a replacement front driveshaft. It is much longer than the rear so it is far less affected by suspension lift height than the rear driveshaft is.

Yep, X2 to what Jerry said.

Welcome to the forum, which TT do you plan on installing? Some require a body lift.

I don't know of any that don't require a body lift, do you?

The Rokmen one requires only 1/2" body lift, which I had for a while. However, IMHO it's more worth it to just put on a 1.25" body lift and be done with it. You can tuck things more that way.

Then again, if he's driving it mostly on-road, I'm not even sure I'd waste my money on a tummy tuck.

Yep, X2 to what Jerry said.

I don't know of any that don't require a body lift, do you?

The Rokmen one requires only 1/2" body lift, which I had for a while. However, IMHO it's more worth it to just put on a 1.25" body lift and be done with it. You can tuck things more that way.

Then again, if he's driving it mostly on-road, I'm not even sure I'd waste my money on a tummy tuck.
depends on how much tuck you want, I run the UCF with no BL, but I’m agreeing with you on it being a waste of money.

Reactions: Chris
As the build progresses, it will become more of a trail rig, the TT I'm looking at is UCF. This is definitely a long term build. Will the DS I buy with the SYE next month need to be extended once I do the TT down the line? I am trying to plan ahead so I know how much to save for the next phase of the build. FWIW, the order at this point is CAs and SYE this spring, then saving for axle upgrades(S35 gears and lockers), then the TT. A body lift is in my plans because I want to go to 35" tires without redoing the suspension.

I was able to use the same Tom woods DS when I first did the SYE. My tummy tuck though isn’t a full tuck. I have the UCF extra clearance skid which I believe is 2.5” higher than stock. I would give Tom Woods a call and get their POV.

I have an Advance Adapters traditional SYE but if you are doing a tuck, I agree with @Irun and look into the JB super short SYE. It will be less of a steep driveline angle and you can get a longer DS. I had to rotate my pinion a good amount with a 2” lift and 2.5” tuck combo using the AA kit. Good luck.

This ties into a question I have had for some time and would like to hear from some experienced people. My TJ came with a 1" body lift, 3.5" - 4" lift, lowered transfer case, 33" tires, 5 spd. manual 4.0 installed by PO. I recently had it re-geared from 3.73 to 4.56 along with a Tru Trac LSD in rear. Nothing has been done to the rear drive train, shaft, etc.; no SYE, double cardan drive shaft or rear adjustable control arms. This TJ will be used on gravel trails, forest roads and other moderate off roading.

My question is this. At what point should I go to a SYE, DC drive shaft and rear upper control arms? The Jeep drives like a Jeep and I rarely go over 70 mph, mostly 55 to 65 mph on the road. What will the benefits be installing those components and is the cost justified? Thanks for any replies in advance.

This ties into a question I have had for some time and would like to hear from some experienced people. My TJ came with a 1" body lift, 3.5" - 4" lift, lowered transfer case, 33" tires, 5 spd. manual 4.0 installed by PO. I recently had it re-geared from 3.73 to 4.56 along with a Tru Trac LSD in rear. Nothing has been done to the rear drive train, shaft, etc.; no SYE, double cardan drive shaft or rear adjustable control arms. This TJ will be used on gravel trails, forest roads and other moderate off roading.

My question is this. At what point should I go to a SYE, DC drive shaft and rear upper control arms? The Jeep drives like a Jeep and I rarely go over 70 mph, mostly 55 to 65 mph on the road. What will the benefits be installing those components and is the cost justified? Thanks for any replies in advance.
I’d say the two reasons to get a SYE is #1. To regain your belly ground clearance and ditch the TC drop or #2. To get rid of any rear driveline vibrations caused by the lift. At 3.5-4”, you “may” still have vibes even with the TC drop. I didn’t really know I had vibes with 2” until I drove my buddy’s TJ that had a SYE.

Reactions: JMT and chino1969
Another vote for JB. You can have your dc shaft lengthened vs buying a whole new one. I had mine lengthened for $100 IIRC. JB does use a hall ring and tone sensor, meaning it the gear driven speedo goes away. You can still find the blue monkey healers or you can build your own for a little more than $50
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-make-a-speedohealer-harness.27169/
20200111_151045.jpg

I’d say the two reasons to get a SYE is #1. To regain your belly ground clearance and ditch the TC drop or #2. To get rid of any rear driveline vibrations caused by the lift. At 3.5-4”, you “may” still have vibes even with the TC drop. I didn’t really know I had vibes with 2” until I drove my buddy’s TJ that had a SYE.

Thanks for the reply but here's my situation. I have plenty of ground clearance for the type of off roading I do so that is not a concern. I do not have vibes. With that in mind, is it even cost efficient/advantageous to go with the added expense of a SYE, double cardan drive shaft & upper rear adj. control arms? I have no problem spending money but it has to be smartly spent and justified.

Thanks for the reply but here's my situation. I have plenty of ground clearance for the type of off roading I do so that is not a concern. I do not have vibes. With that in mind, is it even cost efficient/advantageous to go with the added expense of a SYE, double cardan drive shaft & upper rear adj. control arms? I have no problem spending money but it has to be smartly spent and justified.
Only if you are getting vibes, which is wearing out components and causing less than ideal driving quality.

Otherwise, if all is well, I’d leave it alone.

Only if you are getting vibes, which is wearing out components and causing less than ideal driving quality.

Otherwise, if all is well, I’d leave it alone.

Thanks. I'm going to leave as is but would still appreciate any input from those who have been there.

Thanks. I'm going to leave as is but would still appreciate any input from those who have been there.
The only thing I see justifiable is rear upper and lower CA’s. At 3” of lift you really need to start thinking about them, and you’re well over that.

I’d say if you don’t need it, then don’t do it. It’s about $800-900 in SYE kit, driveshaft, and upper CA arms. And that’s if you do the work yourself. Spend the money elsewhere. Take a nice vacation with that money👍🏾

I’d say if you don’t need it, then don’t do it. It’s about $800-900 in SYE kit, driveshaft, and upper CA arms. And that’s if you do the work yourself. Spend the money elsewhere. Take a nice vacation with that money👍🏾

That is also the opinion of the mechanic at a reputable Jeep shop. Until I see a need to change it will remain as is.

Reactions: DrDmoney