Plastic (like zip ties) found inside 2006 TJ Unlimited 4.0 coolant system

Haha... You might not be too far from the truth! In industrial cooling applications, fluid to air type coolers have what's called turbulators inside the cooling tubes designed to increase the contact surface and to slow the fluid velocity through the tube to increase contact time with the tube surface thus increasing cooling. I do not know if the application of turbulators is present in auto cooling systems. Perhaps the PO replaced the radiator at some point with a non-oem type.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is accurate. Have seen them and used them myself in cooling systems to increase performance. Like jmitchell418 says, often used in industrial or heavy duty (real heavy duty) application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies in advance for being the new guy who throws out a crazy question to everyone!
I'm wondering if anyone has ever found or knows why twisted pieces of plastic would be inside my TJ 4.0 coolant system? They look like spiral zip ties. I purchased a Manual 2006 Wrangler TJ Unlimited about 18 months ago for my son (he will turn 16 and get his license in Aug 2017). It's been a project for us to work on together and motivation for him (I required him to keep a 4.0 GPA to get it).
We replaced fluids, belt and thermostat when we got it with no signs of anything strange then. Yesterday, we replaced the water pump because I was starting to see some dripping and he's been learning how to drive it.
Once we got it apart and pulled the water pump off, I found these two twisted plastic pieces behind the water pump - fluid side inside engine (about 6 1/2 inches long each). From the marks, it looks like there were in the impellers and probably lead to the leak. I did have the heater core replaced a few months ago by a mechanic, but those guys claim zero knowledge and zero responsibility. I then took the pieces to the local Jeep Dealer and their head mechanic had no idea either..... So now I ask the forum - has anyone else seen these before? Or can they guess why they are inside the coolant system? I purchased the Jeep from a Police Officer who has been very helpful. He had it all these years and he doesn't know either. My fear is that I'm giving this to a new driver and I really don't want something to fail right as he starts driving it alone.... My sincere thanks for any suggestions on this!
I was wondering if anyone ever figured out the plastic pieces. It appears these same plastic pieces are found in our 2004 Dodge Dakota Heater Core. The Heater Core was replaced July 2016. In December 2016 the radiator was replaced. December 2017 the 3.7 engine was swapped with a engine from a Jeep Liberty. Right after swap, the heater core started leaking. Our mechanic has no idea what they could be and doesn't think they could've run through the system - wondered if possibly the heater core had internal parts break loose. Thank you!

IMG_1695.JPG

Apologies in advance for being the new guy who throws out a crazy question to everyone!
I'm wondering if anyone has ever found or knows why twisted pieces of plastic would be inside my TJ 4.0 coolant system? They look like spiral zip ties. I purchased a Manual 2006 Wrangler TJ Unlimited about 18 months ago for my son (he will turn 16 and get his license in Aug 2017). It's been a project for us to work on together and motivation for him (I required him to keep a 4.0 GPA to get it).
We replaced fluids, belt and thermostat when we got it with no signs of anything strange then. Yesterday, we replaced the water pump because I was starting to see some dripping and he's been learning how to drive it.
Once we got it apart and pulled the water pump off, I found these two twisted plastic pieces behind the water pump - fluid side inside engine (about 6 1/2 inches long each). From the marks, it looks like there were in the impellers and probably lead to the leak. I did have the heater core replaced a few months ago by a mechanic, but those guys claim zero knowledge and zero responsibility. I then took the pieces to the local Jeep Dealer and their head mechanic had no idea either..... So now I ask the forum - has anyone else seen these before? Or can they guess why they are inside the coolant system? I purchased the Jeep from a Police Officer who has been very helpful. He had it all these years and he doesn't know either. My fear is that I'm giving this to a new driver and I really don't want something to fail right as he starts driving it alone.... My sincere thanks for any suggestions on this!

These came from inside your aftermarket heater core, see first picture. This one was from NAPA. The original equipment heater core uses a metal spiral spring. I assume they help maintain the shape of the tube. If you found it in your water pump, you definitely have an issue to discuss with the supplier of the heater core as they should not come out. In the vehicle we worked on, they were causing restricted flow through the heater core which made the heat not warm enough and cooling off at idle.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Reactions: skrelnik

View attachment 18042
Just saw your post...I installed a SPECTRA 93028 heater core....went bad after a few months.... found those identical coiled zip ties inside of the heater core. Think they are part of the heater core itself... they clogged the core and prevented it from working....