Play in Sway Bar Link. Do I Need to Replace?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I have some play in my front upper sway bar link. Video below.

I torqued the nut down to spec, but that didn't help. Removed the nut and cleaned the threads with a rotary wire wheel, and cleaned inside of nut with steel bore brush. Still no difference.

Should I tighten down beyond FSM spec? Or maybe the bushings are just worn down and not providing the right kind of pressure?

Last edited:
I had to download the video to watch.

The sway bar end link is definitely worn and needs replacing.

Ok, so just the links, but not the sway bar itself?

Or is there any way to just replace the rubber component?

There's a ball-joint under the rubber piece if you have stock links. They break easily but are cheap to replace ($12-15 each). Solid links are more expensive.

7583f30c-f703-400d-82c7-8c8d8e510706-jpeg.64721

Last edited:
Reactions: flyinfish
There's a ball-joint under the rubber piece if you have stock links. They break easily but are cheap to replace ($12-15 each). Solid links are more expensive.

7583f30c-f703-400d-82c7-8c8d8e510706-jpeg.64721

Thanks. Do you recommend one over the other? Replacing the ball joint or getting new links?

Edit: I think you mean I can get new links with ball joints (cheaper) or new solid links (more expensive). Right?

Last edited:
Ok, so just the links, but not the sway bar itself?

Or is there any way to just replace the rubber component?

Was gone for a few hours so couldn't get you an answer. @TheBoogieman has you steered in the right direction. Replace both end link assembly's as they will both be worn out.

Reactions: SSTJ
Wish I could use this as an excuse to buy some JKS discos, but can't quite justify the price.