Please educate me on Insta-trunks

sam53

TJ Enthusiast
I have to tj's , one came with a black PLASTIC insta-trunk. Love it, so I have advertised looking for another one for the other tj. I have got replies that theirs are metal. Didn't know they had factory trunks made of metal. Early production. Please help thanks

I don't know when Jeep changed the trunk to plastic, but the one that I had on my 99 was metal came like that from the factory. It was an option that I ordered. The side and lid are metal. Lid is covered with a carpet type material.

I have the Smittybilt metal drawer that takes the place of the back seat. It has been very convenient for storage but it rattles a lot.

Edit: Rattles are gone.

trunk.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know when Jeep changed the trunk to plastic, but the one that I had on my 99 was metal came like that from the factory. It was an option that I ordered. The side and lid are metal. Lid is covered with a carpet type material.
My 95 YJ has the same metal one

Reactions: oldjeepman
Mine came to me with a metal BesTop Instatrunk. It's a nice piece.

Reactions: Vasq
Thanks for the heads up!
I just installed the stuff4jeeps tonneau on my LJ. Assembly was easy (4 abs plastic sheets, 1 aluminum brace, and a handful of bolts). I had to cut it to fit my aftermarket cage because Poison Spyder places the rear uprights about 4" behind the OEM cage.

It seems sturdy enough as a cover but I wouldn't put too much weight on top of it. Though the manufacturer claims you can put 100 lbs. on top, I think this is only true if the weight is evenly distributed and properly strapped down. I guarantee a 100 lb toolbox centered on top would crack the cover on the first bump you hit on the trail.

On the plus side, it is very light weight. I didn't weigh it but I'd say it was definitely less than 20 lbs. I'd even go as low as 15 lbs.

Security-wise, it will obviously stop a casual passerby from reaching in the back and stealing your stuff (assuming you locked the tailgate). However, a determined thief could easily defeat this cover with one good whack from a ball peen hammer.

Last thing. It is definitely NOT water tight. I don't think it could even be made water tight without a considerable amount of effort.

20200902_153623.jpg

20200902_153646.jpg

20200902_153713.jpg

20200902_153937.jpg

20200902_153745.jpg

Last edited:
Why would you want plastic? When it could easily be broken into?

Not sure if mine is bestop or oem. They appear very similar. But its awesome. You can safely carry alot of stuff in there.

Between it and my tuffy metal security glove box i don't have to worry about leaving stuff in my jeep. I highly recommend both. Although i would paint the tuffy glove box with sem landua black prior to install. Or to match your dash color.

Not sure if mine is bestop or oem. They appear very similar. But its awesome. You can safely carry alot of stuff in there.

Between it and my tuffy metal security glove box i don't have to worry about leaving stuff in my jeep. I highly recommend both. Although i would paint the tuffy glove box with sem landua black prior to install. Or to match your dash color.
Mine is plastic, and it's much heavier duty than you might think. I doubt anyone is going to get into it without being noticed.

I struggled a bit with the plastic vs. metal debate. I went with plastic for several reasons. Firstly, Bestop doesn't make an instatrunk for the LJ and the Tuffy Enclosure I looked at weighed 92 lbs. My plastic one weighs 15-20 lbs. I'd love to save weight with an aluminum cover but I can't stand the look of diamond plate. Secondly, all the metal solution's I looked at were WAY more expensive. For example, Tuffy cost $517 and plastic was $200. Thirdly, the crime rate in my area is basically non-existent. Fourthly, if I REALLY need to secure anything, I can always attach a metal tool box to the floor (under the tonneau).

I added a Bestop instatrunk in my son's 03 TJ. Simple install took 30 minutes. It can be broken into, but it will take a few minutes. Had one installed in my old 99 Wrangler and loved it for simple security. Not a ton of room, but will hold a few backpacks or shopping bags with ease.

I struggled a bit with the plastic vs. metal debate. I went with plastic for several reasons. Firstly, Bestop doesn't make an instatrunk for the LJ and the Tuffy Enclosure I looked at weighed 92 lbs. My plastic one weighs 15-20 lbs. I'd love to save weight with an aluminum cover but I can't stand the look of diamond plate. Secondly, all the metal solution's I looked at were WAY more expensive. For example, Tuffy cost $517 and plastic was $200. Thirdly, the crime rate in my area is basically non-existent. Fourthly, if I REALLY need to secure anything, I can always attach a metal tool box to the floor (under the tonneau).

$189 for the bestop instatrunk in metal:

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/1999/wrangler/instatrunk/
I hear what your saying. But for $189 it seems like a better option. And that price is direct from bestop. You could probably find it elsewhere for less. Its $168 on amazon. Weight is 27lbs.

Last edited:
$189 for the bestop instatrunk in metal:

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/1999/wrangler/instatrunk/
I hear what your saying. But for $189 it seems like a better option. And that price is direct from bestop. You could probably find it elsewhere for less. Its $168 on amazon. Weight is 27lbs.
Yeah, but I have an LJ. That is for a TJ. I suppose you could use it in an LJ but you'd only be protecting half your cargo area. If I had a TJ, that would be the best solution.