Please help me (headlight issue)

_Bet_

Galveston Island, Galveston, TX, United States
Last night my left headlight became dim. It is now yellow instead of white like the other. I checked the connections & found that the cord that plug into the back of the headlight is almost melted looking. Will this be something I can easily fix? I'm attaching a photo of the plug thing. Sorry I don't know any technical names. This is my first jeep & also first vehicle that isnt a sports car. I would be so grateful for any tips or advice y'all could give me. TIA
20170114_120021_HDR.jpg

What wire appears to be melting? I can't see any melting from the photo.

Where a yellowish headlight is concerned, that is typically caused by nothing more than a bad/dirty/corroded connector which is reducing the voltage to the bulb. Wiggle/pull the headlight connector off and re-seat it back onto the headlight several times to restore the connection. Then remove that bolt that holds the two black ground wires to the tires and wire brush the ring and the steel it rests on when the bolt is holding it, then securely tighten the bolt. My bet is the headlight will be fine after doing both of those. Then do the other side.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Bet_
If it is melted, replacement pigtails for sealed beams are available. Cole-Hersee 3029 is what I used to order. Splice them in and heatshrink the connectors. Pack the blade terminals with dielectric grease.

Reactions: _Bet_ and Chris
Thank you to each one of you for your help. The part that is melted is that black connecter that goes from the wires to the back of the headlight. I took that off and lightly cleaned it & it seemed to fix the problem for the time being. I plan on getting that melted part replaced when I install my new headlights this month. Again I'm so grateful for the help y'all I appreciate it so much. I'm lucky I picked such a stellar forum to join.

Reactions: Van and Chris
Glad you got it sorted out @_Bet_

New headlights will definitely help alleviate any issues you have with the crappy stock headlights!

Reactions: _Bet_