Please help! Planetary gear will not slide on axle

Glenn Hodges

I need help, while attempting to replace my carrier gears (spider gear) the drivers side planetary gear will not slide on the axle to allow me to remove the c-clip. It is like the damn thing is welded on there. Before I beat on this thing is there something I am missing??? I mean damn, it only has to slide an eighth of an inch???
Dana 35 rear end, 4.0L manual 2000 wrangler TJ

Most likely there’s debris from the failing spider gears in the splines of the axle shaft and side gear. Try cleaning that area (best you can) with a solvent and compressed air.

I have hit with brake cleaner and pen oil, the axle will slide in and out, allowing almost a quarter inch of play, but the damn gear will not move, even with a little persuasion (hammer), I'm ready to try and bust this damn gear????

Debris has worked its way into the splines causing binding and seizure. If cleaning doesn’t break it loose you have no choice but to beat it in with a hammer. Chances are the axle will need replaced due to the spline damage. Inspect closely once apart.

Listen to Rob man, he’s a seasoned gear pro.

Thank you for the advice Rob. I gave it shot last night and had little success. I cannot believe that this gear seems welded to the shaft. it will not budge, even with significant persuasion. I know the shaft is shot and I'm sure the clutches are destroyed by now, with me pounding on them.