Please Learn From My Lack of Proper Insurance Coverage (Please Read)

I wonder what these processes are for collisions with injuries. If you modified your frame or something, I bet they can give you hell if they want. I'm guessing many areas will be cracking down on a lot of mods after awhile. I think new vehicles have to have every single piece of the vehicle approved by the DOT.

One of my managers came from GM and I think he said ~40% of vehicle cost was from all of the regulations and they couldn't produce anything that wasn't 50 state legal. Therefore CA regulations basically controlled the entire US. I was confused when I left the US to see how much cheaper vehicles are overseas. That being said, many places had other really annoying policies and taxes, but I've truly considered buying a truck in Mexico and towing it back and I could get it registered in my county (my sheriff just looks at the VIN and the title and that's pretty much it), though the DOT could destroy it if they ever caught wind of it. So it would be risking about $30k in cash and I'm not really in that market anymore for my wants.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I've truly considered buying a truck in Mexico and towing it back and I could get it registered in my county (my sheriff just looks at the VIN and the title and that's pretty much it), though the DOT could destroy it if they ever caught wind of it.

Just FYI, there are some very strict Fed law against importing any vehicle under 25 years of age. You should look into the 25+ year old Land Rovers that were imported legally, then the Feds and bureaucrats did what they do best and fucked up. They went around confiscating these vehicles and illegally crushed them. Then claimed it wasn't their fault or problem.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Almost 20 years ago I was doing Rusty Nail in Moab and rolled my XJ on a rock waterfall. I crushed the roof, bent the B pillar and crushed the drivers side back door. I drove the Jeep home from Moab and filed a claim thru the insurance company. I knew they would refuse the claim IF I told them it happened in Moab while rock crawling.
Yikes! Admitting to committing insurance fraud on the internet.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Jamison C
Just FYI, there are some very strict Fed law against importing any vehicle under 25 years of age. You should look into the 25+ year old Land Rovers that were imported legally, then the Feds and bureaucrats did what they do best and fucked up. They went around confiscating these vehicles and illegally crushed them. Then claimed it wasn't their fault or problem.
Well people have bought brand new vehicles and towed them to the US. It's a bit easier that way, but it's all kind of risky. In my locality I'd probably be fine, but I'm pretty sure if I'm caught driving something like that on the roads the DOT have been granted the authority to crush something like a 2022 Hilux I'm driving.

I had planned to pick up an early 2000s Hilux whenever they become mostly legal to import, but I've been working so much with heavier towing anymore that I've lost some interest in the smaller diesels, especially having a Federally and locally legal R2.8 swapped TJ in my garage.

Yikes! Admitting to committing insurance fraud on the internet.
In 20 years I never filed a claim before that or after that....
I no longer have the vehicle or use the insurance company....
I had an accident; they fixed it....
Case Closed....

Last edited:
Well people have bought brand new vehicles and towed them to the US. It's a bit easier that way, but it's all kind of risky. In my locality I'd probably be fine, but I'm pretty sure if I'm caught driving something like that on the roads the DOT have been granted the authority to crush something like a 2022 Hilux I'm driving.

I had planned to pick up an early 2000s Hilux whenever they become mostly legal to import, but I've been working so much with heavier towing anymore that I've lost some interest in the smaller diesels, especially having a Federally and locally legal R2.8 swapped TJ in my garage.
The DOT doesn't have any enforcement authority to come steal your vehicle if it doesn't have DOT equipment. That's why it doesn't matter if you run beadlocks on the street. FMVSS is the document that roadgoing vehicles in the US must comply with when manufactured.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Wow 7 pages already ?!

Well, after Fouled has shared his experience I finally got in touch with USAA and came to a conclusion that in today's market, with my coverage, in worst case I will come out in negative.
USAA gives $5000 wiggle room + 20% of vehicle value. Typically that would be enough, but this days biggest question is what is the difference between how much they appraise Jeep for and what is the actual going rate of one in a good shape.

On a fun note, I was going to upload a video of how I almost ended up in the same situation as Fouled did, roughly an hour ago, and this is when I found out that my dash cam is kaput, and no longer records.
Traveling through back roads of North Carolina, very narrow roads. I took a right turn and see an SUV heading straight at me. I stopped and started honking, no reaction, this dumb ignorant bitch is still heading at me with her eyes looking down. I slammed it into reverse and started backing up while still honking. That dumb shit finally looked at the road, realized that she is in the wrong lane, and switched into hers. And as she did, she looked into rear mirror, as if someone was blasting a horn from behind.
I don't think she saw me, I don't think she had any clue that I was standing there and she was about to smash into me. At no point did her eyes ever looked in my direction. As if I was invisible.

What the fuck, can't make this shit up.
Be safe everyone.
Eyes looking down - texting.

Well, ya know it wasn't Zorba, anyway...

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Last edited:
If you just purchased it 24 hours prior, that to me would be an excellent market comp. That was the going rate for the exact vehicle.

Do you have a bill of sale showing the purchase price, dated 24 hours prior? Do you have to disclose or provide proof of that when you registered the vehicle?

I have my LJR insured with Hagerty at a stated value and if it ever would get totaled, I can keep it and still get my full stated value. its called cherished value coverage.
If you don't mind, what's the premium?

I inquired about a 2dr Tahoe I have, 1500 a year for 25k coverage. I already pay about 5k to insure my cars, that would add an extra 1k since Tahoe is 500 a year now.

I purchased a YJ Wrangler with swapped aftermarket axles, 40's, beadlocks, flat fenders, custom bumpers, coil overs, frame mods, and everything else that goes with 40's.

Not 24 hours after purchasing it, I had just filled it with gas and of course someone pulls out in front of me causing a collision. His insurance claimed liability and wants to work with me to fix or total my Wrangler. A total loss would not be ideal for any of us with our mods and attachment to our Jeeps/toys.

The collision totaled his car, dented my front bumper, wrinkled my right-front quarter panel, and tweaked my frame. A lot of small stuff too, all of which can be fixed. However, his insurance (Progressive) and their adjuster has already began pushing back on including the value of all the work done to my YJ. initially claiming it's worth $7k...it's got that plus some in axles alone. It's as if all the modifications don't even exist to the insurance company.

So lesson here is really pay attention to what coverage you have on your Jeep(s). make sure to keep both soft copies and hard copies of all receipts that cover parts, labor, and material. Keep your insurance agent up-to-date on anything that you modify. Provide receipts to them and ask that it be covered in case of an accident.

if I had the right coverage, I could make a claim with my insurance, get it fixed, and then my insurance would go after Progressive for the repair cost.

Do not fear them kicking you from coverage, use that as motivation to find the right insurance company with the right coverage for your modifications.

I'll try to keep this thread up to date with the progress of my repair in hopes to learn how best to avoid this in the future.

Accident: 29 Dec 2021
Dropped at the body shop: 1 Feb 2022
Adjuster shows up: 3 Feb 2022
Initial totaled vehicle offer: 9 Feb 2022 (Post #111)

*Update* *Update*
Some key takeaways I've found important along the way:
  • Before getting behind the wheel, have a complete list of invoices and/or receipts for all items you add/change on your Wrangler. i.e.; axle housings, shafts, gears, lockers, wheels, tires, coil-overs, brackets, steering parts, rock sliders, power coating, cage build to include material cost, custom bumper material cost, seats, engine swaps, winch, aftermarket hoods, fenders, and whatever else you want covered.
  • Provide all receipts and invoices to your insurance provider. Be as transparent as possible with your agent to get either the right coverage or find another agent at another company who can give you the confidence that your parts from the first bullet above will be added/considered in the overall value of your modified Wrangler. Hiding things or being vague will get you no where if a claim is filed and they find out after the fact.
  • Consider getting it professionally appraised by a licensed automotive appraiser. (receipts and invoices will help here and are required.)
  • Keep your rig clean and don't push maintenance down the calendar. Keep records of maintenance some sort of way you see fit.
  • Never let an insurance company tow your rig anywhere but your house/driveway. Once they have it, good luck getting it back to a place you prefer. The less people touching it and seeing it, the better IMO. It certainly will stick out like a sore thumb in a tow yard.
  • Keep your insurance agent in the loop if you file a claim with another insurance company (applies to accidents that are not your fault)
  • All those receipts/invoices for custom axles, gas tanks, bumpers, etc can be helpful to the body shop/automotive shop who is preparing an estimate for repair. They should be sent to the adjuster representing the insurance company the claim is filled with too.

I just purchased my next build. I use State Farm and he was smart enough to ask how modified it was. I’m starting pretty much stock with 238k miles on it. So many basic maintenance need to come first. But as we get serious I agree with other posts. Keep paper work original copies in a file. You can always scan them and send if you have a claim or as you need to adjust your coverage. Be prepared for that one guy!

If you don't mind, what's the premium?

I inquired about a 2dr Tahoe I have, 1500 a year for 25k coverage. I already pay about 5k to insure my cars, that would add an extra 1k since Tahoe is 500 a year now.
$900ish I think. My total is $1,300 but that includes my chevelle as well. I think my chevelle is around $350 for the year.

I just called The Phoenix Insurance group. Told them a rough estimate of 12k$ in mods. I dropped the litebright name of the video maker and he was aware of the jeep modding community.

He’s calling me back with more information tomorrow morning. So let’s see where this goes.

My point exactly. This is the move.
I just called Hagerty and they said they don't cover daily drivers OR vehicles that are primarily used off road. Only way to cover a Jeep would be if it was a secondary vehicle that was primarily used on road... my search continues.

He stated that if a claim was submitted and the evaluator determined the vehicle was heavily used off road it could invalidate the claim.

I have my RZR XP 1000 and CJ rock buggy insured thru State Farm with off road polices, I gave them the value of each that I thought they were worth and they sent me a bill. The premiums are less than what I thought but do not include any coverage on public roads.
We have state farm on all our vehicles, they said they don't have a real 'off road' policy when I pushed them. They said they would evaluate the value of the vehicle if a loss occurred, take any documented mods "into consideration" then give a value... no agreed value, no written guarantee of getting full 'real' value of the vehicle.

Doesn't make me feel secure.

We have state farm on all our vehicles, they said they don't have a real 'off road' policy when I pushed them. They said they would evaluate the value of the vehicle if a loss occurred, take any documented mods "into consideration" then give a value... no agreed value, no written guarantee of getting full 'real' value of the vehicle.

Doesn't make me feel secure.

I'm working with my State Farm agent figuring out whether she can call it a "classic" and insure it for a flat value. I gave her some production numbers and distinguishing market considerations due to it being an LJ, still waiting to hear back.