Plinko sound in dash

Flyguy

Hi all! First time Jeep owner, just purchase my 04 TJ two weeks ago and I just encountered my first mystery. Every once in a while, there is a sound behind the steering column That I can only describe as an electronic plinko game. when this happens the aftermarket head unit turns off. sometimes It can be fixed but engaging the Left turn signal (only the left), sometimes I have to turn off the ignition in order to get the head unit back on. To complicate things further the head unit will sometimes just turn off when using the left turn signal and in that case I have to turn off the ignition in order to get it back on.

Any Ideas on what this could be? I plan on taking a look behind the dash to do more investigating, but Id love to hear your thoughts!

pull the radio and see if you can find a loose connection on the back or something rattling around

pull off the steering column shroud, any pinched wires?

you could also pull some of the HVAC control and get a decent look around, worse case scenario pull the whole dash and get a good look, that job sucks though.

Reactions: Kurt_S
pull the radio and see if you can find a loose connection on the back or something rattling around

pull off the steering column shroud, any pinched wires?

you could also pull some of the HVAC control and get a decent look around, worse case scenario pull the whole dash and get a good look, that job sucks though.

One of my friend said it might be a bad multi function lever (?) but would something like that short the head unit ?

Yeah that one. It's the turn signal stalk that seems to be interacting with the radio.

that would indicate a frayed or pinched wire somewhere, that or a REALLY bad radio install. That switch "should" have no affect on the radio, ever. Even if the switch was completely FUBAR, the radio "should" function fine. I would start looking at wiring connections on the radio and maybe pinched harnesses in the dash. has the jeep had any other work done recently?

that would indicate a frayed or pinched wire somewhere, that or a REALLY bad radio install. That switch "should" have no affect on the radio, ever. Even if the switch was completely FUBAR, the radio "should" function fine. I would start looking at wiring connections on the radio and maybe pinched harnesses in the dash. has the jeep had any other work done recently?

Welp it looks like I'm taking apart the dash tonight after the tree goes up.

I just bought this Jeep so I'm not sure on how long ago any of the mods where done but everything inside except the head unit seems stock.

I don't see anything jumping out at me right away.

A4A5ABD8-F067-4110-9549-A29D2419C072.jpeg

03994901-6537-48DF-88F6-9E7C7EED1F9D.jpeg

B042ED32-CCD4-4CE3-BC0D-4FBB1BF5D158.jpeg

7066F90B-3320-4745-9304-2BBC5FFF281F.jpeg

looks like a couple of nicks on the wires in the last picture, on the side of the silver connector closest to your hand, kinda a low quality job on that radio connection. - might be your problem, might not.

looks like a couple of nicks on the wires in the last picture, on the side of the silver connector closest to your hand, kinda a low quality job on that radio connection. - might be your problem, might not.

After I took and uploaded these pictures I cycled the ignition while poking around and wiggling wires with the head unit off and it was still doing it, I can't remember if I tried it with the silver connector unplugged or not. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

I did do some digging on some other forums and one guy had the same intermittent problem and he found out it was his ignition switch 🤷‍♂️

After I took and uploaded these pictures I cycled the ignition while poking around and wiggling wires with the head unit off and it was still doing it, I can't remember if I tried it with the silver connector unplugged or not. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

I did do some digging on some other forums and one guy had the same intermittent problem and he found out it was his ignition switch 🤷‍♂️

Ignition switch is believable, just the physical movement of the multi function is enough to wiggle some wires near the ignition switch and turn off ACC power, do other accessory items such as the blower fan turn off intermittently with the radio, or is it just the radio?

Ignition switch is believable, just the physical movement of the multi function is enough to wiggle some wires near the ignition switch and turn off ACC power, do other accessory items such as the blower fan turn off intermittently with the radio, or is it just the radio?

Everything else works except the radio and the turn signals.

the guys with the ignition switch also had the windshield wipers not work but they work on mine. According to that thread those three are on the same circuit (?).

I also tried this morning with the grey plug unplugged and got the same result 😓

I figured it out!!! So, in the end, with only 5 trips to the auto parts store, it turned out that all I needed was an ignition switch.... finally got my dash back together and took it for a test drive and everything works.

than everyone for your helps!