PNW winter weather prognostication

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
The prevailing winds have changed 4 - 6 weeks early. The temps have become unstable about four weeks early. The big critters are hanging out in the creek bottoms and refusing to move higher.

This winter is going to be a couple of weeks early, and is going to suck badly. Lots of rain, and if the North Pacific high moves east and south, lots of low elevation snow.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: LTTJ
You've been reading the Farmer's Almanac, haven't you? ;)

The little rain we had today was much needed. It was a nice break from the hot temperatures we had. It's supposed to be nice this week, but not as hot as the previous weeks.

Just prepare yourself for the eclipse armageddon!

Reactions: StG58
Oh, and by the way... I welcome the low elevation snow with open arms. Remember how the city of Portland reacted during the last snow storm? Oh me, oh my... I hope I get to see some of that mayhem again. It was literally snowflakes dealing with snow fall!

We had a day this month that felt exactly like what early October feels like here. I'm a little worried that it'll be a rough winter, not because I don't like the cold, but because people in Dallas really go crazy if it snows. 1/2 of everyone thinks diving 5mph is the way to go, and the other 1/2 think they can drive completely normally. Having a dad from Iowa, one time it snowed here he took us out to an empty parking lot and gave us a driving lesson. I think I was about 14...

I just got my kiddo some camping clothes for our fall camping adventures, including a couple of pairs of fleece or jersey lined pants. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already looking for some of these pants in adult human size.

Also on the eclipse... so my husband was worried that we wouldn't be able to get eclipse glasses, so he ordered a 30 pack 6 months ago. So yeah, talk about being prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
You've been reading the Farmer's Almanac, haven't you? ;)

The little rain we had today was much needed. It was a nice break from the hot temperatures we had. It's supposed to be nice this week, but not as hot as the previous weeks.

Just prepare yourself for the eclipse armageddon!
Oh, and by the way... I welcome the low elevation snow with open arms. Remember how the city of Portland reacted during the last snow storm? Oh me, oh my... I hope I get to see some of that mayhem again. It was literally snowflakes dealing with snow fall!
No, no Farmer's Almanac @Chris, sorry bud. They usually do a pretty good job of it, but haven't gotten mine this year. Just never got around to it. No garden this year so no Almanac. Pulled this one completely out of my backside by myself. I figured that it would be at least as accurate as the local weather people, without the huge celebrity salary.
We had a day this month that felt exactly like what early October feels like here. I'm a little worried that it'll be a rough winter, not because I don't like the cold, but because people in Dallas really go crazy if it snows. 1/2 of everyone thinks diving 5mph is the way to go, and the other 1/2 think they can drive completely normally. Having a dad from Iowa, one time it snowed here he took us out to an empty parking lot and gave us a driving lesson. I think I was about 14...

I just got my kiddo some camping clothes for our fall camping adventures, including a couple of pairs of fleece or jersey lined pants. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already looking for some of these pants in adult human size.

Also on the eclipse... so my husband was worried that we wouldn't be able to get eclipse glasses, so he ordered a 30 pack 6 months ago. So yeah, talk about being prepared.
Good show! Kids are warm blooded, but they do need weather gear as well as an adult does. Flannel, Down, Silk, Wool, and those newer high tech long johns. I actually dumped my silk tops and bottoms for those last year. Layer up and down as required. Thin layers and try not to sweat to much.

Chris is right, and so are you about the drivers. Lot's of "5 or 50" drivers around here. The added bonus is we have special snowflakes that will panic and abandon their cars right in the middle of the road, then just walk away. Poor folks just loose it.

When people were abandoning their vehicles in the middle of major highways last Winter, that was epic. Never in my life have I witnessed such foolishness and idiocy. However, being as though I was watching from a distance, I really got a kick out of it.

My wife says I'm evil sometimes because I get satisfaction out of stuff like this. I said I'm not evil at all, I just find it very amusing that so many people can lack so much common sense.

For instance, last Winter, how many times did the news outlets all say to STAY HOME from work since it was going to come down hard.

But did anyone listen to that? Nope, they sure as hell didn't. And look what ended up happening? So again, complete common sense gone out the window.

For instance, last Winter, how many times did the news outlets all say to STAY HOME from work since it was going to come down hard.

But did anyone listen to that? Nope, they sure as hell didn't. And look what ended up happening? So again, complete common sense gone out the window.

But if the news outlets had put the warning out on FB and Twitter, EVERYONE would have stayed home, right? (Referencing the social media zombie thread)

But if the news outlets had put the warning out on FB and Twitter, EVERYONE would have stayed home, right? (Referencing the social media zombie thread)

Haha, I'm not sure... It was all over social media too, but still, no one stayed home from work. It turned into one of the most catastrophic snow events in Oregon history!

Funny thing is, it wasn't even that much snow!!!

I know what you mean - I lived in Hillsboro for about 6 years in the mid-90's (back when Washington County was considered "the sticks") and the same thing would happen once or twice each winter. Me and my CJ-5 did fine, though. Evidently, snowflakes have existed for far longer than anyone realizes...

I know what you mean - I lived in Hillsboro for about 6 years in the mid-90's (back when Washington County was considered "the sticks") and the same thing would happen once or twice each winter. Me and my CJ-5 did fine, though. Evidently, snowflakes have existed for far longer than anyone realizes...

I believe they have, you're right.

But having live here, you know what it's like when it snows. It's nothing compared to when it snows somewhere like Utah or high altitude. It's several inches, it hangs around for a while, but that's about it.

People here just lose it. What happened last Winter was unlike anything I've ever seen. Hundreds of cars being abandoned in the middle of major highways, traffic completely stopped for 14+ hours. If you didn't know this was all due to snow, you'd honestly have thought something apocalyptic was taking place.

We have lived in Central Oregon for 15 years so we know winter. We live south of Bend and get double the snow that the city gets. We had a rough winter last winter and I don't want to see a repeat!
548e39f0700f64c4f65f9688f5b0a8c8.jpg

I saw plenty of photos of Bend last Winter, that was crazy!

They had multiple avalanches over Santiam Pass as well!

We had a California Whine-O buy a fairly large chunk o' land on top of a ridge line at the end of a gravel and dirt road on the edge of wine country. When it snowed last year she (they?) called the County several times a day complaining that the road wasn't being plowed and sanded. Couldn't get off the hill to go to town for several weeks, in fact. First the neighbors chuckled, then they laughed, then they got really pissed at all the ruckus that was being raised over a road that had never been maintained in living memory.

Some people's children.

Reactions: Neal
We had a California Whine-O buy a fairly large chunk o' land on top of a ridge line at the end of a gravel and dirt road on the edge of wine country. When it snowed last year she (they?) called the County several times a day complaining that the road wasn't being plowed and sanded. Couldn't get off the hill to go to town for several weeks, in fact. First the neighbors chuckled, then they laughed, then they got really pissed at all the ruckus that was being raised over a road that had never been maintained in living memory.

Some people's children.

Why am I not surprised that they're from California? Like get used to it idiots. You live in a RURAL area. If you have a problem with the snow, get a vehicle that can make it through the snow.

Why am I not surprised that they're from California? Like get used to it idiots. You live in a RURAL area. If you have a problem with the snow, get a vehicle that can make it through the snow.
More importantly, think about where you are and plan accordingly. It's not rocket surgery. If you are having trouble getting up and down the hill in normal circumstances, what do think could possibly happen when the weather gets a little iffy? Maybe get a crappy old Ford truck and park it behind your half million + dollar horse barn just on the off chance that you might need a little ground clearance at some point? Folks like that piss me off as much as the panicky snowflakes do. At least make a half assed attempt to help yourself.

Of course, I may be looking at this all wrong. Just maybe total infantile dependency is actually a perfect response to life. I would hate to be missing out, and all.

Reactions: Chris
The prevailing winds have changed 4 - 6 weeks early. The temps have become unstable about four weeks early. The big critters are hanging out in the creek bottoms and refusing to move higher.

This winter is going to be a couple of weeks early, and is going to suck badly. Lots of rain, and if the North Pacific high moves east and south, lots of low elevation snow.

Just sayin'.
Boy, oh boy, I do so hope you are wrong. But if you are correct I hope they get a better handle on the forecasting this time around. Real crap shoot last year.

B