Pocono Jeep Wrangler Frame Repair

RobertJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just ordered the driver's side for my front lower control arm, and this is what I got:

Any of you guys that used these fill in the welds on the outside? I figure it might be good practice for my new welder anyway. Obviously, it's welded on the inside, but the gap seems like a good place for rust to start.

I did not fill those in, in fact I haven’t even painted mine and it’s been on for months I’ve just been spraying wd40 on it every few weeks and no rust has started. I recommend doing this anyway though because I haven’t found a way to paint the metal behind the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: fourpointzero
You can use weld through primer before welding then fluid film the insides.

Just wear a respirator or try not to breath too much of the weld through primer.

Reactions: RobertJ
I didn’t fill them in either. After I cut the frame open I cleaned what was left really good with a wire brush. After installation I coated with rustoleum primer and paint and used fluid film on the inside of the frame. Make sure you inspect the entire frame really well. If you have rust through on one of the control arms it’s very likely you have problems in other areas, too.

Fluid Film on the inside is certainly highly recommended. Even WD40 helps, but FF sticks better, and holds longer. Priming and painting the outside, I would do as well. But if you’re willing to commit to lubricating the frame seasonally w FF or Linseed oil or (the name escapes me) another brand of industrial wax coating, you should be good as well. Its just a lot more upkeep without paint.

I'm not filling mine in. Gonna give it a good coat of paint after it's welded in and call it a day.

I guess I'm just being too worried about it. I will probably do the same.

Just wear a respirator or try not to breath too much of the weld through primer.

I've always wondered just how good that stuff stays on when being welded. I'll have to give it a try.

I didn’t fill them in either. After I cut the frame open I cleaned what was left really good with a wire brush. After installation I coated with rustoleum primer and paint and used fluid film on the inside of the frame. Make sure you inspect the entire frame really well. If you have rust through on one of the control arms it’s very likely you have problems in other areas, too.

Ya, I've already decided I'm patching the center of the frame if for nothing else just to get a good luck at everything. I'd rather fix it now and not have another surprise 6 months from now.

Steel it is a great weld through primer that I use!

I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well the welder just left my house and much to my surprise they welded the seems on the outside. Wasn't really necessary, but it looks good. So I guess when I get home from work it's time to start reassembly.

Well the welder just left my house and much to my surprise they welded the seems on the outside. Wasn't really necessary, but it looks good. So I guess when I get home from work it's time to start reassembly.

I think I'll do it too just for the practice with my new welder if nothing else.

Reactions: Imapepper
I dont think it hurts. Only benefit I see leaving it as-is, water can’t sit inside the frame and rot it from inside out. But if they have frame holes like the Safe-T-Caps one’s, there’s no difference.

Post some pics when you’re finished w it. Im sure there’s a lot of NE Jeepers that could use Pocono Steel’s work and or parts.

I wondered about that stuff put it on before welding I am interested in trying it. I also wondered what you could put on where the new piece overlaps the frame where it's going to be bare metals from grinding it clean I suppose there's nothing you can do there.

the outside I am going to treat with the Eastwood rust converting rubberised encapsulator. For the inside I'm using the Eastwood frame treatment spray stuff that looks neon green with a 2-foot long straw.

Dont forget to use that same wand to coat the inside with Fluid Film, after the Eastwood internal dries. Rubberized stuff, Im not fond of. Usually is compromised by water or debris and can hold water or condensation against the metal, thus corroding it while hidden by the rubber coating.

I installed Pocono Metal caps on both sides and both rear control arm brackets. I contacted them regarding welding up that seam, and they didn’t feel it was necessary. I cleaned my frame good, and coated the inside and outside with a weld through primer. I also coated the bottom repair pieces with POR15, and the sides with weld through primer. Once I got the caps in place and tack welded in place, I wire wheeled/brushed the weld joint to clean metal. Then I cleaned up the outside, primed with POR15, and then top coated with POR15 frame black top coat. The POR15 creeps into that space pretty good.

I installed Pocono Metal caps on both sides and both rear control arm brackets. I contacted them regarding welding up that seam, and they didn’t feel it was necessary. I cleaned my frame good, and coated the inside and outside with a weld through primer. I also coated the bottom repair pieces with POR15, and the sides with weld through primer. Once I got the caps in place and tack welded in place, I wire wheeled/brushed the weld joint to clean metal. Then I cleaned up the outside, primed with POR15, and then top coated with POR15 frame black top coat. The POR15 creeps into that space pretty good.

I used POR15 on a 1969 Firebird I restored. It does work really well. I'll have to order some this week. I was away most of the weekend but did work on it Saturday. I got the skip plate removed and placed an order the rail caps for it as well. Hopefully, they get here before the holiday. Thanks for all the great advice guys.

If your going to weld them up in your garage without a lift, I found it easier if the body was lifted even an inch. I had a couple body mounts rusted out too, Pocono has those repair pieces as well.

If your going to weld them up in your garage without a lift, I found it easier if the body was lifted even an inch. I had a couple body mounts rusted out too, Pocono has those repair pieces as well.

I think this is probably really good advice, and I was thinking the same thing. I have one body mount that is rusted on the tub, so I have faced with the same situation.

I made my own safety caps and just welded the inside 100 %. I sprayed the inside with a primer and welded them on.Then the outside with eastwood external frame coating.Then used fluid film inside and out.I made sure I put drain holes at each end of the rails though.That butt seem really is nothing to worry about.Structurally it is fine.

I was curious if they were continually welded, all I could see were the tack welds on the bottom on the online pics. And are much less expensive than the saf-t-cap. IS there that much of a difference?? Even the drawings of the center to center check look the same...