Poison Spyder cage

No ¢s TJ

Bought a fully welded Poison Spyder cage and it is on the way.

E5DB832F-7906-47F8-A2FB-8E5E4E5791E1.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess I'd want everything welded that I want to be there before powder coat or paint. And I have no idea how to make harnesses work with stock seats. Might just have to wait till all the puzzle pieces arrive.

Hello, did you get the cage yet? I’m really curious on how it went. I know they are all on back order when I first checked so good luck. I was lucky to find one of those fully welded Poison Spyder cage in Texas and just received it two weeks ago. I have it in my 2006 TJ Rubicon. I found two issues so far. The back connection points in the back of the tub needs to be spread apart to get the holes to line up I solved this by attaching one side and then using a clamp and strap to get the other side to spread apart enough to get the bolts in. Once it is tight it seems to have worked.

The other issue is that the bolt holes that attach to the front of the windshield are off by the same 1/2" to the passage side. I’m still trying to figure out how to fix the windshield part. I took it to my local 4x4 shop and they want me to go ahead and have it powder coated and then they will use straps and their fork lift or something like that to get it to fit. I have two issues with that idea. First it would seem that the front can never be disconnected once it is bolted in and two it would seem that the stress would take it’s toll over time on my windshield hinges. Any ideas?

Not sure you tried to get the stock sport cage off yet but the twerk bolts can be a bear to get out. Especially behind the front seats. There was some kind of spray on coating covering the bolts and cage plate connection area that was a bear to get clean enough to get the bolts out. Once I got the bolts out and cage removed, I ended up replacing the bolts with grade 8, yellow zinc chromate bolts from Fastenal. They told me these are best for strength and corrosion resistance to protect against rust. This has allowed me to use a normal socket to get them off and on and adjust the cage as needed.

For the seatbelts. I did not install the rear and only used two bungs for the front. One on each B pillar for the top of the seatbelt connections. Oh, and good luck finding the bungs. Everyone is out of stock and Poison Spyder is not selling them currently. No sure why. They sent me to another manufacture for them. I did luck out and found my local shop had 4 in stock. I used the Genright brackets for the bottom portion of the front seatbelt. This bracket comes with the special “T” hole for the stock seatbelts and makes it easy to add back the seatbelt rollers. I’m not a welder so I had the local 4x4 shop add the bungs and GR bracket in. I’ve seen the top ones added yesterday and they look good. I plan to pick up the Jeep on Monday to see how it went for the bottom bracket.

https://genright.com/products/tj-factory-seat-belt-mounting-kit.html

I have a local powder coating shop looking for matching color for Khaki so wish me luck there. I hoping to match my paint color.

Let me know how it is going with the install.

Installing cage with my fancy safety glasses.
1614375503568.jpeg

Hi! Sorry it took so long to answer. This is my first reply and I just saw that I need to do that here and not by email. 🥴.
I also have a 2006 Rubicon. The cage came really fast which was unexpected but I have not gotten to install yet and it sounds so fun that I’m a little nervous. I’m new and learning.

We are building a powder coating oven, thought we had time because of the back order and we did not.
I thought I’d have the best shot with 4WP since they own Poison Spyder, so that’s who I tried to buy from first. They said there was at least a 10 week wait, then stopped returning my calls. I contacted a local off road guy my club uses a lot-Brian Derrick Hancock of H.O.W. Motorsports in SC. It was drop shipped to my house within one week, and they threw in the harness bar.

I’m going to switch to after market seats and won’t have to worry about the bungs. I use the Jeep daily so I’m not going to take it apart until it’s necessary. Also want to line the floor at the same time, needs to be a little warmer. Another option instead of powder coating is Monstaliner. Had a few hard core rock crawlers here recommend it. Said it’s It’s thicker, cheaper, and easier to fix than powder coating if it gets messed up. I don’t usually wheel THAT hard. I really like my Jeep. 😁 I at least need to get better at fixing it before I tear it up.
I appreciate the tips!! I’m learning so I’m glad when it’s spelled out for me. Are you in the ‘03-‘06 Rubicon FB group? Thank you for the info. I sure appreciate the input.
When the cage was delivered and where it still sits in the shop.

A37ECCAA-6161-4ABF-B376-B1F52883C537.jpeg

8469402B-4E59-4C4A-BFBA-0C448D3E2EFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: D M