Polk speaker comparison: Polk DB 522 vs Polk MM 522

Creakydoor

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m looking to get new speakers for my Jeep. I’ve been looking at the Polk DB 522. I also saw the Polk MM 522. However, they are more than twice the price of the DB’s ($149/pr vs $59/pr).

Does anyone have any experience as to whether the MM’s are worth the price?

I erred on the less expensive side and I ended up getting the DB 522’s all around. Will post about that soon on my build thread.

Still would love to hear if anyone had any experience with the difference. But that’s an academic discussion at this point.

Stick with the less expensive DB series unless you have bigger plans for an audio build. The MM series is the upgraded marine grade series, has some small updates over the DB series like a larger tweeter and made from different materials.

Reactions: Creakydoor
I did put an amp and a subwoofer in, but was trying to be budget conscious, so the MM would probably have been a little overkill.

Good call, I do not believe you would have even noticed a difference by going with the MM series. If you went to go to the next level, I'd say adding the Morel Tempos 5.25, and then you probably would have noticed a difference.

A few people have added tweeters to the a-pillar, including myself, and that was a great upgrade to the system. A cost-friendly route, courtesy of @cliffish are these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWJTIBE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Creakydoor
I think trying to get it to sound like a Mercedes with 20+ speaker live stadium sound with centered speaker bla bla bla would end as soon as you started the engine. No need for perfection when you are listening to Metalica at full crank.

I think trying to get it to sound like a Mercedes with 20+ speaker live stadium sound with centered speaker bla bla bla would end as soon as you started the engine. No need for perfection when you are listening to Metalica at full crank.

Funny you said all of that, as I have a Mercedes and my Jeep has a much nicer sound system at a fraction of the cost. I do listen to Metallica at full blast as well and it sounds so good in the Jeep. With today's technology you can inexpensively make a great sound system.