• 2003-2006 LJ Rubicon with automatic transmission

• 2003-2006 TJ Rubicon with automatic transmission

• Other TJ not included in choices

• 2005-2006 LJ Rubicon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Byhumba

I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
Supporting Member
I think it is safe to say that, after reading the comments in this thread, it is established that "classic" is reserved for a 20 year old vehicle while "antique" for a 25 year or older one. In a few words, the TJ will be a classic in the foreseeable future. Now desirable? That's a different and hard-to-answer question. Within the TJ family of Jeeps, there are so many variations in trims. I will just mention top of the line, as that seems to be the most desired vehicles of any make or model. I will not add package editions as those may or may not add any value.

We have the 97-2002 TJs in which the top of the line was the Sahara I believe, the 2003-2004 Rubicon with the five speed, 2005-2006 Rubicon with the six speed, but then it can be argued that the 2005-2006 LJ Rubicon can be considered in this group as well (added to the poll). Automatic transmissions can also be included in the mix. Now which will be the most desired? I cannot say. The one I like the most is the 2003-2004 Rubicon with the 5 speed manual trans. That's one vote. 😁

Last edited:
In that amount of time, the most desirable will more than likely be an 04-06 LJ Rubicon, you can pretty much count on that. They didn't make nearly as many of them as the others, and the long wheelbase has always been highly sought after, even now.

The special edition models are nothing other than sticker packages and some cosmetics, so I don't see those ever being that big of a deal.

Basically one that runs.

I voted for the LJ Rubicon before I saw anybody else's choices... Invariably the less production there is of anything the more sought-after it becomes.

Reactions: rasband and Byhumba
In that amount of time, the most desirable will more than likely be an 04-06 LJ Rubicon, you can pretty much count on that. They didn't make nearly as many of them as the others, and the long wheelbase has always been highly sought after, even now.

The special edition models are nothing other than sticker packages and some cosmetics, so I don't see those ever being that big of a deal.

I agree, and I’m torn if voting between the auto and manual. Given the current generation of drivers I leaned towards the auto - mostly because of a lesser familiarity with manual. Perhaps in that mix is the PCM issues, so older ones without it may make it even more “pristine”.

Reactions: Byhumba
Edit* LJ Rubicon was only made between 2005-2006. That’s gonna be the most desirable. Case closed lol

That's true! Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know why I wrote 2004-2006 in one choice and 2003-2006 in the other. Sorry. I can't edit the poll anymore, but when you see LJ in the choices, it is the 2005-2006 (correct) years.

The most valuable stock will probably be the Rubicon Sahara LJ or the Tomb Raider edition just because there are so few.

Because of your comment, I searched online and found this small blog that says what you mentioned in your post.

Reactions: Dre_rat
Hmm. I guess I anticipated this. A tie between the 2003-2004 TJ Rubicon with the 5-speed manual transmission, and the 2005-2006 LJ with the automatic transmission. 😎