Popping out of 4 Low

macleanflood

I break sh!t
Supporting Member
Quick question...97 TJ sport... AX-15 and 231 with SYE... Stienjager cable shifter...

Popping out of 4 Low...I can get it in with some hard shifts on the lever...but...

Thinking I need to lengthen the shifter a couple of turns and try it...that sound right?

6" of snow on a gravel driveway so I want to do this once if at all possible. Probably will have to mess with it...but at least I want to head in the right direction.

Clutch was stinky this weekend hammering through deep snow...wife was having trouble getting it in 4 low and I was too busy hooking up recovery gear on all the Toyotas and Ford's...too bad burning clutch doesn't come through on YouTube.

-Mac

Adjust the shift linkage at the transfer case arm so it moves the arm further.
Don't adjust it too much or you will have a problem shifting to high
I turned it five more revolutions and it helps a little...need more hands later to push the handle down...I think a few more turns will help.

You've got to get a running start from 2nd to 4 low and hit it hard...then it pops out 2-3 times and sticks.

Might also pull off the center console again... didn't seem to have the issue this summer when it was off.

-Mac

Do you have a body lift? If so then I suggest a savvy cable shifter.

different brand, but he has a cable shifter already. I'm sure there are points where the savvy has more quality but it's probably just an adjustment issue and not anything inherently wrong with the shifter he chose.

I was having the same issue with my transfer case cable shifter when I initially installed my savvy one. I then adjusted it fully the one way and now my 4wd light comes on and off while driving down the road in 2wd. I can’t seem to get it adjusted correctly, and it’s not the easiest to get in there and adjust it that’s for sure. Wish you the best with adjustment