POR-15 as an instrument of torture

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
If you are like me, you often do not read label instructions, and surely not the warnings. I got some POR-15 for my son's JK. We cleaned his frame and decided to coat it as well. All PM, not intervention. I know you should wear gloves, but paint clean up is easy,, everyone knows that. Holy hell! POR -15 adheres to any body part it touches and lasts longer than a prison tattoo. Laying under his Jeep, both he and I got spotted everywhere. That shite does not come off with soap and water or paint thinner. My advice, suit up for deep space when using that stuff. The old saying time heals all woes does not apply to POR-15. They should rename it POR-Forever.

RP-342 is much better to work with and is military grade. Cosmoline is more yielding and comes off easier while IMO just as effective or more effective than POR-15. Shoot, talk to some old war vets about Cosmoline and they can tell you how it tastes.

• Haha
Reactions: matkal and Chris
Oh yes, I've used POR-15 plenty of times. That shit is damn near impossible to get off. It seems durable as hell from what I can tell. They should make automotive paint like this :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Flivver250
Is that true? I had no idea... though I've never had a reason to grind on it.
I'm NOT an industrial hygienist but after looking for hazardous decomposition byproducts in the SDS I don't think so. If someone has info to the contrary I'd like to see it.

Reactions: Chris
I've heard good and bad about using POR15 on cars to stop rust.

Now we've heard some about grinding and welding on it. IDK about you, but I don't think I'd ever grind or weld (on purpose) anything on my skin but I bet we wouldn't rust to death where the POR15 is.

Reactions: Chris
RP-342 is much better to work with and is military grade. Cosmoline is more yielding and comes off easier while IMO just as effective or more effective than POR-15. Shoot, talk to some old war vets about Cosmoline and they can tell you how it tastes.

A friend bought a brand new, still wrapped up, SKS and didn't clean it thoroughly enough before he shot it the first time........ ended up with a face full of cosmoline (or the communist equivalent). LOL

Wow, I have not heard the word Cosmoline since the 80's. Cars shipped by rail were sprayed & covered in this to protect the paint from rail dust & paint scratches. Part of the dealer prep process was to remove it prior to delivery. What a nasty, time consuming, hassle that was !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ejay
I've got a work bench next to my reloading station that's stained for life with Cosmoline. :)

I have not seen original milspec. Cosmoline available for some time. It may be a carcinogen. Speaking of reloading, I'm using these cold winter days to get caught up on mine.

I have not seen original milspec. Cosmoline available for some time. It may be a carcinogen. Speaking of reloading, I'm using these cold winter days to get caught up on mine.
What isn't a carcinogen these days. Mine's from cleaning and restoring misc bolt actions.

chino1969 said:
What isn't a carcinogen these days. Mine's from cleaning and restoring misc bolt actions.

Not a carcinogen. From Wiki
Is cosmoline a carcinogen?
Carcinogenicity THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY COMPONENT REPORTABLE AS A CARCINOGEN UNDER 29 CFR 1910.1200.Jan 12, 2010